Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 18: Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 12983 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 18: Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #75
What I like about Gibbo and Deluca is that they're not skinny kids, we have enough of those.

Reply #76
I’m rapt with picking up Gibbons. First year in and has given us instant value, he is versatile works hard whether forward or used thru the middle. Will only get better too when has another 30-40 games under his belt.

Newman as well is a solid footballer and has cemented his spot. As long as he reduces his kicking turnovers he has also been a great pick up.

When you consider what these 2 cost us and how they have played a role instantly, it rubs it in how bad McGovern has been.

Has time to turn it around so still keeping fingers crossed.

Gibbons is consistent like he was at VFL level, not brilliant but he gets his 15-20 every week plus a goal or two.....think a B grade version of his mentor in Kane Lambert. But he
will improve like Lambert did and become a decent footballer for us IMO.

Newman is a solid defender but makes some poor decisions with his kicking, because he is a good kick he thinks he can make passes that are of the high risk variety
and he needs to get that out of his game and play safe more often.
Both have been good cheap pickups and shows why the State Leagues are a source of moneyball players who can make your list better.

Reply #77
I’m rapt with picking up Gibbons. First year in and has given us instant value, he is versatile works hard whether forward or used thru the middle. Will only get better too when has another 30-40 games under his belt.

Newman as well is a solid footballer and has cemented his spot. As long as he reduces his kicking turnovers he has also been a great pick up.

When you consider what these 2 cost us and how they have played a role instantly, it rubs it in how bad McGovern has been.

Has time to turn it around so still keeping fingers crossed.

Agree on Gibbons and Newman.

Wrgt McGovern I am hesitant to point the finger at him so far to be honest. I get the impression that, OK he is not above criticism esp. regarding fitness,  the club has not been managing him that well either and may have been pushing him into the team prematurely. He has the challenge now to get himself to 100% fitness and to come back and show his best. Let's just see how he responds.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #78
The umps played their hearts out trying to keep the Suns in the game at times.
So true. We beat 21 on the park at a time, not 18. Some of the frees they missed were painfully bad!
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #79
Charlie, Dow, Gov, Cunningham, Stocker and Goddard not in the first 22 at the minute.

Guys like Deluca and Gibbons are giving us so much better depth. These guys are hardened footballers who can run 15km and stick tackles all game. Totally different to drafting a kid and waiting 4 years for him to develop.

It is making a massive difference.

Reply #80
Charlie, Dow, Gov, Cunningham, Stocker and Goddard not in the first 22 at the minute.

Guys like Deluca and Gibbons are giving us so much better depth. These guys are hardened footballers who can run 15km and stick tackles all game. Totally different to drafting a kid and waiting 4 years for him to develop.

It is making a massive difference.

You forgot one...some bloke who happens to be our captain, previous B+F winner and AA representative.
A fair inclusion. ;)

Reply #81
I want Plowman to succeed but his good is more than offset by his poor decision making under pressure. Hopefully he improves in time but he is by far our worst at turnining the ball over at critical times. Dow, ECurniw and Simpson also need to improve in this regard.

He looks better at HB than on the last line where he tends to panic more - at least he was relieved of kick-in duties this week.

Reply #82

I thought that Lang looked like he belonged out there for the first time.  He faded in the last quarter but he gets a pass from me.

Agreed - he actually put his body on the line to lay a tackle or two

Reply #83
Agreed - he actually put his body on the line to lay a tackle or two

Teague said he has made it clear, exactly what the expectations are around attack on the footy and tackling.
They didn’t ask the players he told them precisely what was required.
The tackling has improved significantly across the group
Murphy has even tackled properly at times.

Reply #84
Teague said he has made it clear, exactly what the expectations are around attack on the footy and tackling.
They didn’t ask the players he told them precisely what was required.
The tackling has improved significantly across the group
Murphy has even tackled properly at times.

Murphy is playing exactly the same way he has played for more than a decade, it the blokes around him that have changed! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #85
Re Lang, I have finally seen something with this bloke to get my attention. Still way off what I thought he would bring but at least he is doing a few nice things a game which is something to build on. His confidence must have been shot till now with his output and supporters angst with him.....interested to see how much better he will perform once he feels like he belongs. Has to be played in all remaining 5 games to make a definitive decision on him at years end.

Kennedy is another who has improved with getting a clear role and a decent block of games. Its amazing how much a professional sportsman can improve simply by gaining confidence.  

Reply #86
Murphy is playing exactly the same way he has played for more than a decade, it the blokes around him that have changed! ;)

Rubbish. Under Bolton this year he played 13% of his games in the middle, under Teague it's 75%. How could he be playing the same if he had a different role?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #87
Blokes like Ed Curnow, Kennedy, Silvagni, Gibbons and now DeLuca have all improved their game since Teague came on board and all of them 100% fit that description.

In 12 months time you'll be adding Liam Stocker to that group. He's got a very solid body already and 'toughness x factor' about him.

Reply #88
Rubbish. Under Bolton this year he played 13% of his games in the middle, under Teague it's 75%. How could he be playing the same if he had a different role?

It's the win that has people changing their attitude about the player.

Murphy's game style hasn't change a skerrick, his effort, attitude, skills and attack on the football are the same as they have always been, A-Grade!

It's the same no matter where he plays on the ground, that's why he's been captain for so long! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #89

You clearly don't watch the game