Skip to main content
Topic: Pre Game Prognostications AFL 2019 Rd 19 Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 8297 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre Game Prognostications AFL 2019 Rd 19 Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #45
Been playing well weeks previous to that as well...Jacobs cant get back in and is playing SANFL.
Obrien was a stiff who didnt look like making it as a player ever and I couldnt see how he would ever make it but he has gone to the next level and is is very Kreuzer like at ground level.
Philips does an ok job but as Prof pointed out most of his opponents had very good games when he played earlier and he will need to play four quarters vs Obrien who is very fit.

How much of the Crows selection decisions are down to Pyke thrashing around and player unhappiness?

Phillips played well in Round 1 but Nankervis with three goals was better on the night.  However, Phillips and Casboult is a more difficult proposition than Phillips and McKay.  It was the same in Round 2 with Phillips doing OK but he and McKay couldn’t match Lycett and Ryder.

O’Brien gets his share of hitouts and gathers lots of possessions for a ruckman but he doesn’t take many marks.  If Phillips is on his game, he and Casboult could force O’Brien to focus on trying to defend.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #46
https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/27241573/afl-w2w4-round-19-why-pies-season-hinges-friday-night

The Blues to get the upper hand in the Adelaide pick swap

Even a few weeks ago, uttering the words "break even" in relation to Carlton and Adelaide's historic live pick swap would have been met with raised eyebrows.

For those who might have forgotten the details, during last year's national draft, the Blues shipped their 2019 first-round pick to Adelaide for pick 19 (Liam Stocker) and their first-round pick.

As it stands, the Blues are sending pick 3 in exchange for Stocker (already on their list) and pick 11, but the Blues are in good form, and the Crows... well, not so much. So is it beyond the realms that 16th placed Carlton can knock off the 8th placed Crows at the MCG on Saturday afternoon and swing the proverbial needle their way?

In short, no. Carlton are playing an attractive and attacking brand of football not seen since the Brett Ratten days, while the Crows have been made to look old and slow in recent weeks. Adelaide's record at the MCG doesn't make for good reading either; they played there twice last year for two big losses - by 47 points to the Tigers and 56 points to the Hawks. They're yet to play at the home of footy this season.

Adelaide can also expect a hostile crowd at the 'G, and not only because this is Carlton's 'Grand Final'. The Blues are smashing membership and crowd records despite their dour season, and last week posted their highest ever attendance against the Suns. The MCC is predicting a crowd of more than 46,000 on Saturday - which would be Carlton's largest ever home-and-away home crowd against the Crows.

Should the Blues win on Saturday and other results fall the way of the favourites, Carlton moves level with Sydney on 24 points -- and within striking distance of 15th spot on the ladder -- while the Crows open the door for a number of other teams to enquire about the final spot in the eight.

It's fair to say there hasn't been this much intrigue surrounding a Round 19 match involving Carlton for some time, so tune in on Saturday for the Liam Stocker Cup.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #47
Hard to work out how Macreadie gets name as an emergency after doing nothing in the VFL....yet Schumacher must be getting close to a game given his recent form but can't crack it even as an emergency? I thought he might squeeze his way in this week.

Does Ed get the job on Crouch (the better one)....and maybe Silvagni a run with role on Lynch?

Reply #48
How much of the Crows selection decisions are down to Pyke thrashing around and player unhappiness?

Phillips played well in Round 1 but Nankervis with three goals was better on the night.  However, Phillips and Casboult is a more difficult proposition than Phillips and McKay.  It was the same in Round 2 with Phillips doing OK but he and McKay couldn’t match Lycett and Ryder.

O’Brien gets his share of hitouts and gathers lots of possessions for a ruckman but he doesn’t take many marks.  If Phillips is on his game, he and Casboult could force O’Brien to focus on trying to defend.

Phillips has to be backing himself in against a guy who hasn't played 20 games yet. Kreuzer got belted last week and we couldn't buy a centre clearance. Hopefully this week will be improved. Do the Crows have a tagger?

Reply #49
Phillips has to be backing himself in against a guy who hasn't played 20 games yet.

I agree,  but for the record, Phillips hasn't played 40 games yet.

Reply #50
Phillips is severely underrated IMO.

He might not be able to hunt the ball like Kreuzer does, but lets face it....who can Nic Nat, Grundy and Gawn aside (the elite).
However, Phillips is a better mark than Kreuzer. I reckon he's a better kick at goal too. 54% vs 45% in Phillips favour.

He's had just as many injuries as Kreuzer has, but has shown he can perform when having an extended run at it.

His ruck craft is very good.

Both Phillips and Kreuzer win 40% of their ruck battles.
However Phillips is better with his taps, 33% are hitouts to advantage.
Compared to Kreuzers 25%

What does that mean in real world terms?
Say your ruckman gets 24 hitouts a game.
Both Phillips and Kreuzer will get their hands on 10 of them first.
But with Phillips 8 of them will go to our advantage.
Only 6 of them will go to our advantage from Kreuzer.

You'd think that this basically translates to 2 extra clearances per game from our mids with Phillips.

Kreuzer gets more clearances per game than Phillips does, but only by 1.

So ruck wise, we are 1 clearance better when rucking with Phillips than we are with Kreuzer.

Phillips also has more agro than Kreuzer.

It doesn't help that Phillips opponents have been best on ground so far this year when he has played which is the fact you have ignored here.

I am thinking we should upgrade Kreuzer, and keep him as the backup for our new first choice ruckman.

Phillips drops to 4th choice behind De Koning.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #51
It doesn't help that Phillips opponents have been best on ground so far this year when he has played which is the fact you have ignored here.

I am thinking we should upgrade Kreuzer, and keep him as the backup for our new first choice ruckman.

Phillips drops to 4th choice behind De Koning.

Subjective.

I didn't point out that Kreuzer was made Witts' b!tch last week either.

I'm not suggesting either of them are elite and will win on any given day, just based on output Kreuzer is not necessarily better than Phillips.
Kreuzers best > Phillips best.
Kreuzers average =< Phillips average.

Moneyball.

Reply #52
Subjective.

I didn't point out that Kreuzer was made Witts' b!tch last week either.

I'm not suggesting either of them are elite and will win on any given day, just based on output Kreuzer is not necessarily better than Phillips.
Kreuzers best > Phillips best.
Kreuzers average =< Phillips average.

Moneyball.

Its not really subjective.

3 matches in 2019.
vs Richmond in round 1:

Phillips 9 disp0sals, 3 marks, 27 hit outs, 8 tackles (is amazing), Nankervis 3 goals, 17 disposals, 34 hit outs, 2 Marks, 2 takles.  I think Richmond may have played a second ruck, or rucked with another relief player as well.

vs Port Adelaide in round 2

Phillips 15 disposals, 2 Marks, 27 hit outs, 4 tackles

Lycett - 23 disposals, 5 marks, 2 tackles, 33 hit outs, 1 goal.
Ryder - 8 disposals, 3 Marks,  2, 24 hit outs,

vs North melbourne in round 7

Andrew Phillips 13 disposals, 7 marks, 28 hit outs, 1 tackle 2 behinds.

Levi casboult 12 disposals, 5 marks, 1 tackle, 3 behinds.

Todd Goldstein (out of contract and potentially gettable) 16 disposals, 4 marks, 34 hitouts 2 goals.

The only thing I dont have is the hitouts to advantage.

Thing is, with Cripps roving to our ruckmen, this stat should be good.  We have the best clearance player in the competition. 

Paul Hewson

Reply #53
There is a difference between being beaten, which i admit Phillips was, and having your opponent be BOG, which was the issue i had with your comments.

Coaches votes R1
10 - Cotchin
8 - Lambert
6 - Cripps
4 - Nankervis
1 - McIntosh
1 - Martin

R2
10 - Lycett

R7
8 - Cunnington
7 - Dumont
5 - Zurhaar
5 - Ziebell
4 - Higgons
1 - Brown

0 - Goldstein

R18 - Kreuzer vs Gold Coast
10 - Jones
5 - Ed
4 - Harry
3 - Brodie
3 - Miller
2 - Walsh
2 - Witts
1 - Gibbons

Reply #54
^^

Semantics aside, his opponents were dominant.

Thats the point though.  Kreuzer was beaten by Witts, but Witts would beat most of the leagues ruckmen.

Paul Hewson

Reply #55
Phillips has to be backing himself in against a guy who hasn't played 20 games yet. Kreuzer got belted last week and we couldn't buy a centre clearance. Hopefully this week will be improved. Do the Crows have a tagger?

Crows back their mids in and dont tend to tag, I'd expect it will be the same tactic used by a lot of clubs on Cripps and that is to man him at the stoppages ie Sloane and then run off him
hoping to get him to run the other way and be accountable. A lot of Cripps opponents tend to get a lot of cheap ball so it gets down to how much they hurt you vs Cripps getting the big takeways at the clearances.
Also depends on how hard Walker, Jenkins, Lynch work to get on the lead and make those mids possies count, at the moment the Crouch boys etc have been winning plenty of ball and clearances but kicking to nothing down field as Walker and crew have been bludging and waiting for the ball to be given to them so a lot of the Crows mids possies dont hurt as they end up rebounded back out.
If the good Walker, Jenkins turn up we might be in trouble but if the typical Walker and crew from previous weeks rock up it should be a rebound fest....

Cripps needs to get forward a bit more this game IMO and use his size advantage.......very winnable game IMO.

Reply #56
^^

Thats the point though.  Kreuzer was beaten by Witts, but Witts would beat most of the leagues ruckmen.

I thought Kreuzer was clearly hampered last week - couldn't jump, run, bend etc as he normally would!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #57
^^

Philips hasn't played more than 3 games in a row for the blues since 2016.

How about give the bloke a fair run at it and compare him to some of the games best rucks.
Despite being in and out of the side, his numbers still stack up against Kreuzer when looking at pure ruck stats.
That is, centre bounces taken vs hitouts to advantage etc.

Obviously Kreuzer spends more time on the ground, and in the ruck by comparison, but Phillips, pound for pound, betters his stats.

Reply #58
I thought Kreuzer was clearly hampered last week - couldn't jump, run, bend etc as he normally would!

He copped a knock in the 3rd quarter i think.

But was soundly beaten before that....and after.

Reply #59
I have a very bad feeling about this game, it could be where Teague gets eliminated from the coaching position 2020.

I would like to see us try something different and tag their half backs, De Luca and Fisher to go with Smith and Laird while Ed takes thie most damaging mid,

Get the ball into Samo and Newmans hands and run the ball out of their forward 50, break lines and run in waves. Adelaide are front runners and will only run hard when they have the game in hand.

Leave a backman anchored in the D50 to stop the run back to goal, and don't bomb into our F50, as their backline is set up for that.

Adeliade are beatable by a defensive game plan and outside run, hope we can bring it.