Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2019 Rd 17: Northern Blues vs North Melbourne at Arden St. (Read 5091 times) previous topic - next topic

VFL 2019 Rd 17: Northern Blues vs North Melbourne at Arden St.

The Blues play the Roos at Arden St on Saturday at 1400.
Two rucks max this week: Phillips has gone up. Looks like Dow is fit enough and Stocker should play 2 to 3 quarters this week.

Live Long and Prosper!

Re: VFL 2019 Rd 17: Northern Blues vs North Melbourne at Arden St.

Reply #1
Dow finding that he isn't automatically best 22.  Getting 30 at the NBs won't hurt him.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #2
Dow attracts a lot of criticism for a 19 year old second year player. Getting him out of the spotlight for a couple of weeks will do him just as much good as getting a bunch of possessions at the lower level

Reply #3
Dow finding that he isn't automatically best 22.  Getting 30 at the NBs won't hurt him.

Nor will hitting a few barns!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #4
Dow attracts a lot of criticism for a 19 year old second year player. Getting him out of the spotlight for a couple of weeks will do him just as much good as getting a bunch of possessions at the lower level

Was a very hyped U18 player who used to get 35 plus possies a game but has struggled to get good numbers at senior level, I like him because he has pace and I watched him burst away at U18
level kick goals and he would run all day. Kicking was never reliable but he got so much of the footy it didnt matter, his kicking is still not great but he cant get the footy enough to impact
and I think he needs some games in the twos to get some big numbers and learn how to deal with the extra physicality and pressure you get playing vs mature age players.
I'd play him on a wing in the seniors, dont think he is cut out for blue collar high impact contested footy and we need to use that pace and ball carrying ability which are his weapons better.
We have other players who can bang bodies and win clearances but we need Dow doing the outside role more IMO.

Reply #5
Was a very hyped U18 player who used to get 35 plus possies a game but has struggled to get good numbers at senior level, I like him because he has pace and I watched him burst away at U18
level kick goals and he would run all day. Kicking was never reliable but he got so much of the footy it didnt matter, his kicking is still not great but he cant get the footy enough to impact
and I think he needs some games in the twos to get some big numbers and learn how to deal with the extra physicality and pressure you get playing vs mature age players.
I'd play him on a wing in the seniors, dont think he is cut out for blue collar high impact contested footy and we need us that pace and ball carrying ability which are his weapons better.
We have other players who can bang bodies and win clearances but we need Dow doing the outside role more IMO.

He's been all but destroyed, physically and mentally, played in the guts at his age....I really feel for the kid.

Very poor player management.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #6
 Teague has turned the ship around by playing blokes in their best positions/roles.  I reckon they're still trying to sort out exactly were this lad fits.  He isn't an inside mid/initial receiver, I like EBs suggestion to Maximise his ball carrying skills.

Reply #7
Teague has turned the ship around by playing blokes in their best positions/roles.  I reckon they're still trying to sort out exactly were this lad fits.  He isn't an inside mid/initial receiver, I like EBs suggestion to Maximise his ball carrying skills.

He could be anything if developed in the right manner.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #8
There's that magical word.... Development.

Reply #9
He's been all but destroyed, physically and mentally, played in the guts at his age....I really feel for the kid.

Very poor player management.

Thats being a bit extremist.  His entire draft year is having second year blues or down on impact.

Only Tim Kelly and Liam Ryan continue kicking on with any real impact on matches week in and week out.  Aaron Naughton too, but he was a relative no namer 12 weeks ago.

Have a look at this list:

Cameron Rayner
Andrew Brayshaw
Paddy Dow
Luke Davies-Uniacke
Adam Cerra
Jaidyn Stephenson - Bucking the trend, but still suspended and having no impact now.
Hunter Clark
Nick Coffield
Aaron Naughton
Lochie O'Brien
Aiden Bonar
Darcy Fogarty
Jarrod Brander
Matthew Ling
Zac Bailley
Ed Richards
Jack Higgins
Brandon Starcevich
Will Powell - Probably the best performing player of the top 20 at this stage.
Callum Coleman-Jones

Theres your top 20...  Average at best, if they are even getting a game (average is pretty good for a second year player really).

Ill pick out the rest of the highlights who may be considered to be bucking the trend:

Oscar Allen
Tim kelly
Noah Balta
Liam Ryan
Charlie Spargo
Bayley Fritsch
Tom McCartin
Charlie Constable
Jack Petrucelle
Charlie Ballard
James Worpel
Oscar Baker
Gryan Miers (would he be doing as well if he was playing at a lesser team?)

The only ones who are doing really well are the mature aged players or the blokes who debuted this year.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-12-01/2017-draft-revisited-how-have-your-clubs-players-fared-

The write up on Paddy's debut season:

Pick 3: Paddy Dow
Played 20 games and surpassed plenty of expectations with his craft at stoppages, particularly out of the centre. Was thrown into the deep end in a light Carlton midfield, but held his own. His ball-winning abilities will improve with time, but he showed he has the nous to be a prolific onballer at AFL level. Could be a star of the future.

Playing him in the centre early hasnt been a mistake.  Keeping him there whilst he was struggling to impact may be viewed as an error.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #10
So who on that list has been in the guts week in, week out? (noting recent weeks he's been playing forward)

You've just made my argument. cheers!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #11
He struggled in the JLT so not surprised he's been patchy.   I believe he hired a kicking coach early in the year as well to rectify technical  issues.   If anything he might be over doing it.

Reply #12
Tim Kelly...maybe bucking the trend??....probably a fair chance for the brownlow :)
Aaron Naughton...wouldnt mind him on our list, ask Jacob Weitering how hard it is to play both ends of the ground in a carp team.
Liam Ryan is a premiership player..

Interesting player is Davies Uniacke and probably more relevant given he was in the mix for us, really struggled at North.
Gets caught holding the ball a lot, kicking like Dow has been average but has played a lot of VFL footy unlike Dow.
Dow isnt a coalface onballer yet, Liam Stocker is that type of player......Trent Cotchin took a long time before he was adept at
being a contested player who could survive at the coalface and had to change his game style, I think Dow will be the same.

Reply #13
Northern Blues
B: 51. A. Johnson, 26. H. Macreadie, 19. A. Schumacher
HB: 46. M. Cottrell, 37. B. Silvagni, 57. E. Penrith
C: 55. J.  O'Rourke, 75. F.  Anderson, 13. L.  Stocker
HF: 2. P. Dow, 32. A. Fasolo, 21. J. Garlett
F: 42. K. LeBois, 53. J. Palmer, 44. M. Owies
R: 12. T. De Koning, 69. S. Fisher, 29. C. Polson
Int: 77. M. Blakey, 60. J. Hill, 80. K. Keppel, 27. M. Lobbe, 64. J. Lynch, 52. M. Stavrou, 66. G. Strachan, 72. N. Wheeler
23P: 70. K. Quirk

In: G. Strachan, K. Quirk, J. Lynch, J. Hill, K. Keppel, N. Wheeler,
P. Dow, J. Garlett
Out: J. Velissaris, A. Phillips, J. Walters, F. O'Dwyer

Kye Quirk is the grandson of Brian Quirk. This is his first game.

North Melbourne
B: 36. J. Crocker, 23. B. McKay, 40. T. Murphy
HB: 35. D. Watson, 1. M. Daw, 19. S. Wright
C: 61. C.  Jansen, 59. N.  Holmes, 53. T.  Leonardis
HF: 45. R. Murphy, 56. B. Whitecross, 31. C. Taylor
F: 46. L. Hosie, 38. T. Xerri, 41. T. Wilkinson
R: 42. T. Campbell, 52. N. Rippon, 72. D. Robinson
Int: 64. L. Cunningham, 75. C. Hodges, 51. T. Hotchin, 74. B. McLaughlin, 68. Q. Montanaro, 57. A. Morgan, 79. R. Morrison, 55. M. Rodd
23P: 77. R. Verbi

In: T. Hotchin, Q. Montanaro, R. Verbi, M. Rodd, B. Whitecross, L. Cunningham,
A. Morgan
Out: L. Davies - Uniacke,  L. Davis,  P. Ahern

We beat this mob earlier in the year, but we have a midfield then. Do we have enough of one now?
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #14
So who on that list has been in the guts week in, week out? (noting recent weeks he's been playing forward)

You've just made my argument. cheers!

Actually I haven't.

Paddy dow's time on ground percentages are in the 70's with the odd outlier being in the 80's and 60's.

Sam Walsh's are in the 80's.

SPS are in the 80's and 90's.

Zach Fisher's are in the 80's.

They all take their turn in the middle. 

Why is Dow the only one being smashed??

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson