Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game postulations: AFL 2019 Rd 20: Carlton vs West Coast at Marvel (Read 9924 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game postulations: AFL 2019 Rd 20: Carlton vs West Coast at Marvel

Reply #15
Harry and Levi will find Barass and McG difficult.   At the other end their small forwards are a real concern.   They have those days were they kick a lot of points and straight out shanks.   Hopefully they have one of those off days.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #16
Their small forwards will be a dangerous prospect for us. If Kreuzer comes in, any chance we keep him and Phillips to ruck and leave Levi permanently forward or floating between forward line and backline? I thought Phillips was good on the weekend. If Fisher is fit he probably comes in for Down. Stocker would be a good option down back but a lack of game time recently might keep him in the VFL for another week.

Kreuzer and Levi can do the job in the ruck. Levi's rucking better than at anytime in his career, just like everything else right now. Two rucks never works for us as neither are good up forward. Go with our strengths, not the other side's strengths.

Reply #17
Harry and Levi will find Barass and McG difficult.   At the other end their small forwards are a real concern.   They have those days were they kick a lot of points and straight out shanks.   Hopefully they have one of those off days.

We've had 11 goalkickers both the last 2 weeks so the other mob will have more than harry and Levi to worry about. Of the top 4 West Coast are the most beatable.

Reply #19
Other than Kreuzer I can't see us changing the KPP mix, other than through injuries, it's about right at the moment.

When McGovern is fit he'll put pressure on McKay.

FWIW, I suspect well have to trade away one or two KPPs at season end, there is no space for them all and De Koning gets better each week in the VFL, you can't have guys like Phillips, Lobbe, McKay, Casboult, De Koning, McGovern playing VFL on a regular basis and expect to retain them all. It's just reality, especially if SoJ and Cripps keep kicking goals, as well as midfield capable types like Setterfield and Kennedy.

Maybe you go Fasolo for Kennedy, but Fasolo brings relatively little inside pressure and won't tackle like a Kennedy. At this stage I think Kennedy stays just due to the age and long term outlook. I thought Fasolo's good game yesterday really came off the back of hard work by the younger types like Owies, Stocker, Cottrell, (as well as NBs listed guys like Fisher) doing the hard work up the field.

If Dow is an out I suspect Stocker might be an in, he didn't do that much but what he did was a class above if they think his fitness is up to scratch, but I'd say on form Cottrell looked the most likely of the candidates yesterday.

I can't see us taking too much run out of the side, it's the outside run that lets Cripps, SPS, Ed and sMurph and Setterfield function.

The Jacobs, Kreuzer and Hampson conundrum was a disaster and trading one of Kreuzer, DeKoning, Casboult or McKay has the potential to do more harm than good. Given our injury track record if we retain all four mentioned we can be fairly sure that for the most part only two will be available at any one time.

Let’s hope sense prevails and Lobbe and Philips are first cabs off the rank.

Reply #20
JD...I think Lobbe will be delisted but we need backup with Kreuzer given his history with injuries and TDK is still developing....hence Phillips probably gets another year. Kreuzer with backup from Levi Casboult is still the best option for now. I haven't seen McKay do enough in any games where he's rucked to justify that combination. He gets pushed off it too easily.

Reply #21
I agree. Has anyone been to training recently and seen whether or not McKay is doing ruck training?

Reply #22
WEST COAST

Patrick Bines    Hernia    Test
 Jamie Cripps    Adductor    1 week
 Liam Duggan    Ankle    Test
 Harry Edwards    Foot    Test
 Shannon Hurn    Calf    Test
 Mark Hutchings    Hamstring    Test
 Nic Naitanui    Ankle    Indefinite
 Josh Smith    Hamstring    4-6 weeks
 Daniel Venables    Concussion    Season
 Updated: Tuesday, July 30

Early prognosis

Hurn, Hutchings, Duggan and Cripps ticked the boxes getting through skills work on Tuesday morning and none of them appeared restricted in any way during the 45-minute session. Cripps might be the only one unavailable with his return scheduled against Adelaide in round 21. Star midfielder Luke Shuey was on light duties jogging laps but doesn't appear in significant doubt six days out from the Carlton clash at Marvel Stadium. - Travis King

Will be stoked if they rush in Hurn, Hutchings and Duggan.

Hurn's had a 2 week calf, Hutchings been out for a month with a hammy.

Duggan - an ankle, they said on July 9 (3 weeks ago) it would be a 5-6 week injury....

PANIC?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #23
Other than Kreuzer I can't see us changing the KPP mix, other than through injuries, it's about right at the moment.

When McGovern is fit he'll put pressure on McKay.

FWIW, I suspect well have to trade away one or two KPPs at season end, there is no space for them all and De Koning gets better each week in the VFL, you can't have guys like Phillips, Lobbe, McKay, Casboult, De Koning, McGovern playing VFL on a regular basis and expect to retain them all. It's just reality, especially if SoJ and Cripps keep kicking goals, as well as midfield capable types like Setterfield and Kennedy.

Maybe you go Fasolo for Kennedy, but Fasolo brings relatively little inside pressure and won't tackle like a Kennedy. At this stage I think Kennedy stays just due to the age and long term outlook. I thought Fasolo's good game yesterday really came off the back of hard work by the younger types like Owies, Stocker, Cottrell, (as well as NBs listed guys like Fisher) doing the hard work up the field.

If Dow is an out I suspect Stocker might be an in, he didn't do that much but what he did was a class above if they think his fitness is up to scratch, but I'd say on form Cottrell looked the most likely of the candidates yesterday.

I can't see us taking too much run out of the side, it's the outside run that lets Cripps, SPS, Ed and sMurph and Setterfield function.

Fasolo has been playing midfield in the twos and played the role very well. Don't see him playing this week but he's another who's had a change of position to his benefit.

Reply #24
JD...I think Lobbe will be delisted but we need backup with Kreuzer given his history with injuries and TDK is still developing....hence Phillips probably gets another year. Kreuzer with backup from Levi Casboult is still the best option for now. I haven't seen McKay do enough in any games where he's rucked to justify that combination. He gets pushed off it too easily.

Lobbe will likely be a delisting as De Koning will be another year into development and be ready to play more seniors next year, if there's a spot.

A run on the ball might help McKay just to get his hands on the ball although Levi is rucking the best he's ever had, as he had every else he's played. So you're not likely to change that.

Reply #27
In: Goddard Fasolo Fisher Lobbe

No outs

I/C Newman, Fasolo, De Luca, Lobbe, Goddard, Murphy, Fisher, Dow.

Reply #28
CARLTON
B: Jacob Weitering, Liam Jones, Dale Thomas
HB: Sam Petrevski-Seton, Lachie Plowman, Kade Simpson
C: Lochie O'Brien, Patrick Cripps, Will Setterfield
HF: Michael Gibbons, Levi Casboult, Jack Silvagni
F: Darcy Lang, Harry McKay, Matthew Kennedy
R: Andrew Phillips, Sam Walsh, Ed Curnow
Int: Nic Newman, Marc Murphy, Josh Deluca, Zac Fisher, Hugh Goddard, Alex Fasolo, Matthew Lobbe, Paddy Dow (Four to be omitted)

IN: Zac Fisher, Hugh Goddard, Alex Fasolo, Matthew Lobbe

WEST COAST EAGLES
B: Shannon Hurn, Tom Barrass, Will Schofield
HB: Lewis Jetta, Jeremy McGovern, Brad Sheppard
C: Jack Redden, Luke Shuey, Dom Sheed
HF: Jack Petruccelle, Jack Darling, Willie Rioli
F: Liam Ryan, Josh J. Kennedy, Oscar Allen
R: Tom Hickey, Elliot Yeo, Andrew Gaff
Int: Jake Waterman, Chris Masten, Francis Watson, Tom Cole, Jackson Nelson, Bailey J. Williams, Mark Hutchings, Jarrod Cameron (Four to be omitted)
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #29
Most experts don't give us a chance this weekend, it's almost an upset in the making!

In recent years Hickey usually gives us a touch up, I suspect we can turn the tide this time around which will make it hard for the Wet Toast small ruck options, especially if Levi's good form continues.

They'll almost certainly tag Cripps.
The Force Awakens!