Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game postulations: AFL 2019 Rd 20: Carlton vs West Coast at Marvel (Read 9742 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game postulations: AFL 2019 Rd 20: Carlton vs West Coast at Marvel

Reply #30
Most experts don't give us a chance this weekend, it's almost an upset in the making!

In recent years Hickey usually gives us a touch up, I suspect we can turn the tide this time around which will make it hard for the Wet Toast small ruck options, especially if Levi's good form continues.

They'll almost certainly tag Cripps.

Walsh might get his first taste of big time football with WC tagger Hutchings for company all day, my guess is they will use Redden, Shuey and Yeo at the stoppages in rotation
on Cripps and try and work off him as soon as the ball is cleared.
I'd like two Ed Curnows, one for Yeo and one for Shuey, think the one and only might get Shuey ....

Reply #31
Yeo and Redden are a decent size, Hutchings, Shuey and literally midgets compared to Crippa....

Hutchings will be lukewarm after 3 weeks out with a hammy? Hurn had a calf - 2 weeks seems very light on?

Quite happy they've rushed back Hurn and Hutchings....they're worried.

We match up very well with WCE for some reason.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #32
Walsh might get his first taste of big time football with WC tagger Hutchings for company all day, my guess is they will use Redden, Shuey and Yeo at the stoppages in rotation
on Cripps and try and work off him as soon as the ball is cleared.
I'd like two Ed Curnows, one for Yeo and one for Shuey, think the one and only might get Shuey ....

Yep, I agree with all that, the Wet Toast 1%er numbers have been good all season for their rotating midfielders, 2nd in the rankings.

I realise this can depend a bit on game style but Wet Toast have the mix of players that suggests team efforts, it's really an extension of how they finished off 2018. But no Vardy and Nic Nat this weekend, it's an opportunity.

Funnily, under Teague I'm starting to see some analogies between our list and theirs.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #33
Yeo and Redden are a decent size, Hutchings, Shuey and literally midgets compared to Crippa....

Hutchings will be lukewarm after 3 weeks out with a hammy? Hurn had a calf - 2 weeks seems very light on?

Quite happy they've rushed back Hurn and Hutchings....they're worried.

We match up very well with WCE for some reason.

Teams at the pointy end of the ladder at this end of the year are not interested in rushing players back to win today.  They want to rush them back to get them in prime condition come september.

I think West Coast believe they will account for us fairly easily.

I also think they will get a bit of a surprise against us.  Brisbane aside (who we may have gotten a bit ahead of themselves at that point and considered it a fate accompli), we have yet to really knock off a decent side  for quite some time so we will see what happens.  Its a big test for us.  I just hope we dont get too caught up in playing this one before we play it.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #34
I think West Coast believe they will account for us fairly easily.

I've heard they are smack in the middle of a heavy training load pre-finals.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #35
I've heard they are smack in the middle of a heavy training load pre-finals.

Which means what (serious question) in terms of current performance?

They'll be heavy legged, for example?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #36
Which means what (serious question) in terms of current performance?

They'll be heavy legged, for example?

Yes exactly, this was also a reason being touted for the Filth's run of injuries and the Crows poor form, but it's normal for clubs bound for finals to be doing some extra training km about now.

I've no idea if is makes any real difference, but they have done it that way for years!

I've heard it suggested that perhaps the benefit isn't from actually doing the extra km but from no longer having to do them a few weeks before finals, a bit like the psychology of dragging goal kickers as a reward for effort!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #37
DT has confirmed Fisher will play (no surprises).

Straight swap for Dow - the only change you'd think.

Can't see fas coming in for Kennedy, Lang or SoJ.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #38
Yes exactly, this was also a reason being touted for the Filth's run of injuries and the Crows poor form, but it's normal for clubs bound for finals to be doing some extra training km about now.

I've no idea if is makes any real difference, but they have done it that way for years!

I've heard it suggested that perhaps the benefit isn't from actually doing the extra km but from no longer having to do them a few weeks before finals, a bit like the psychology of dragging goal kickers as a reward for effort!

https://www.aflvic.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Prescribing-In-Season-Training-Loads.pdf

good read on topic....

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #39

Kennedy might have played out the game but he did hurt his ankle.  No doubt he went off they strapped it and probably jabbed it too, and that might have got him through Saturday well, but he could possibly be worse now than he was immediately after doing it.

Those injuries are tricky.  I did a 15k run a day after hurting an ankle during a match and then missed 4 weeks through injury a few years back.

The run was the run for the kids, and I did it in 1hour 25 mins. 

Anyway, I would think getting players back now is an effort to get them finals ready rather than setting up to beat us.  It gives us an advantage as they wont have much run.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #40

Could come in for Lang, he hasnt really impressed me and I'd be booting both of them at seasons end unless they can both show something..

Reply #41
Goddard for Liam Jones, who’s mother died this week.

Reply #42
Could come in for Lang, he hasnt really impressed me and I'd be booting both of them at seasons end unless they can both show something..

Fisher & Goddard in for Dow and Liam Jones (unavailable due to the passing of his mother).

Reply #43

Fisher & Goddard in for Dow and Liam Jones (unavailable due to the passing of his mother).

No Jones vs Kennedy and Darling...thats a tough ask for our other defenders....

Reply #44
Guess we'll learn a bit about Goddard on Sunday