Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2019 Rd 18: Northern Blues vs Collingwood (Read 3258 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2019 Rd 18: Northern Blues vs Collingwood

Reply #15
Didnt watch the game so cant comment but last time I saw him play he played in the same manner as Mants suggested and I made the same comments about Ben needing to
to learn from his brother Jack about application and attitude.
He comes across as smug, full of himself and that was how he played at Oakleigh, plenty of good players ie Nathan buckley etc did same and thats fine as long as you can back it up on the field but from what I have seen of Ben he has a long way to go. He does have some talent and hopefully matures...

Reply #16
I would suggest the Fox Footy Report Card has a different interpretation of  Ben Silvagni's game.

Do you have a link, I didn't know they did VFL report cards?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #17
 I think it is foxsports.com/afl

Reply #19
From the Fox Footy Report card... https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-report-card-round-20-every-team-analysed-and-graded-plus-state-league-recaps/news-story/edecb7021147fe7dd4461c7cf2dd6fbb

THE MAGOOS

Liam Stocker had a decent outing in the Northern Blues’ big loss to Collingwood at Marvel Stadium. The 2018 draft pick had 22 disposals and five tackles, pushing for selection with his performance. Paddy Dow had 20 touches, of which only four were kicks, while young tall Ben Silvagni played his best game of VFL football for 2019

Reply #20
From the Fox Footy Report card... https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-report-card-round-20-every-team-analysed-and-graded-plus-state-league-recaps/news-story/edecb7021147fe7dd4461c7cf2dd6fbb

THE MAGOOS

Liam Stocker had a decent outing in the Northern Blues’ big loss to Collingwood at Marvel Stadium. The 2018 draft pick had 22 disposals and five tackles, pushing for selection with his performance. Paddy Dow had 20 touches, of which only four were kicks, while young tall Ben Silvagni played his best game of VFL football for 2019

Just shows you how people can have different perceptions, I thought of the recent games last weekend was Stocker's worst, and if that was Ben's best game I'd hate to see his worst! I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I doubt you will find many fans who watched that game pumping up either player's tyres.

Of our lot I thought Owies was quite good, Polson had a crack and ran hard all day but didn't influence much. Fasolo got lots of early ball and burnt team-mates before getting the same in return later in the game. As I mentioned earlier somewhere Dow offered lots of run and won lots of football but butchered it.

I like De Koning's attack on the football but he didn't have much influence, needed a few more of his contested marking attempts to stick in critical positions on the field to be dangerous or influential. Reminds me of Peter Moore, opponents will fear this kid in years to come as he plays hard and fair.

Overall we had so many blokes wasting the football it's hard to comment positively, and it continued into the main game.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #21
Just shows you how people can have different perceptions, I thought of the recent games last weekend was Stocker's worst, and if that was Ben's best game I'd hate to see his worst! I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I doubt you will find many fans who watched that game pumping up either player's tyres.

Of our lot I thought Owies was quite good, Polson had a crack and ran hard all day but didn't influence much. Fasolo got lots of early ball and burnt team-mates before getting the same in return later in the game. As I mentioned earlier somewhere Dow offered lots of run and won lots of football but butchered it.

I like De Koning's attack on the football but he didn't have much influence, needed a few more of his contested marking attempts to stick in critical positions on the field to be dangerous or influential. Reminds me of Peter Moore, opponents will fear this kid in years to come as he plays hard and fair.

Overall we had so many blokes wasting the football it's hard to comment positively, and it continued into the main game.

We miss Tom Wilson hugely!!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #22
Didnt watch the game so cant comment but last time I saw him play he played in the same manner as Mants suggested and I made the same comments about Ben needing to
to learn from his brother Jack about application and attitude.
He comes across as smug, full of himself and that was how he played at Oakleigh, plenty of good players ie Nathan buckley etc did same and thats fine as long as you can back it up on the field but from what I have seen of Ben he has a long way to go. He does have some talent and hopefully matures...

I watched the first 2 1/2 quarters and he and Stocker were the only players we had that could hold their head up. He has improved out of sight since I watched him a few games earlier in the year. Was measily the best game ive seen him play - worked hard going from contest to contest, showed intent and like Jack you can see he has footy smarts. I very much liked what I saw. Ben is in his first year and was never going to play seniors this year - again he cops a lot a sh1t like Jack did simply because of his surname. Lets park the surname aside and give this kid the time we afford others, before being too harsh. 

If we want to be critical on players in the NB..... don't need to look beyond the usual suspects in Polson, Garlett, Fasolo, Lebois, Lobbe - all have been around long enough to show something yet deliver the same crap and none deserve a spot on the list come years end.

Matthew Owies on the flip side showed some real class in a few patches in the second quarter and looks to have something worth persevering with. 

Reply #23
I got there early to check out the youngsters but didn't notice any players showing the desperation needed to earn a senior selection, with the possible exception of Dow, who tried to do too much and got caught too often.

Macreadie still give the impression that there is something to work with.
Cottrell didn't show much
Stocker has football skills but doesn't go out of his way to created defensive pressure
Cuningham = invisible man
Fasolo = waste of space
Owies might develop but ATM he only seems to play with intensity when he has a chance to score or set up a score
LeBois was one of our better players and did his share of tackling but should be showing more after 3 years
Lobbe isn't likely to improve
De Koning could develop into something special in a couple of years but not there yet
O’Dwyer looked lost
Polson doesn't seem to have anything special
Silvagni will play many more games in the VFL before he is ready but at least he seems to have talent
Garlett has AFL talent but doesn't put his body on the line and and seems to try for the spectacular instead of playing the team game

23rd man was a skinny kid named Quirk. I don't know if he is related to Bryan but this kid showed more endeavour than most of the listed players - got caught with the ball too often but A for effort.

Reply #24
I got there early to check out the youngsters but didn't notice any players showing the desperation needed to earn a senior selection, with the possible exception of Dow, who tried to do too much and got caught too often.

Macreadie still give the impression that there is something to work with.
Cottrell didn't show much
Stocker has football skills but doesn't go out of his way to created defensive pressure
Cuningham = invisible man
Fasolo = waste of space
Owies might develop but ATM he only seems to play with intensity when he has a chance to score or set up a score
LeBois was one of our better players and did his share of tackling but should be showing more after 3 years
Lobbe isn't likely to improve
De Koning could develop into something special in a couple of years but not there yet
O’Dwyer looked lost
Polson doesn't seem to have anything special
Silvagni will play many more games in the VFL before he is ready but at least he seems to have talent
Garlett has AFL talent but doesn't put his body on the line and and seems to try for the spectacular instead of playing the team game

23rd man was a skinny kid named Quirk. I don't know if he is related to Bryan but this kid showed more endeavour than most of the listed players - got caught with the ball too often but A for effort.

re: Quirk, think he is the grandson of Brian, might be another younger brother too...

Reply #25
Yes, Kye is Brian Quirk’s grandson.  It sounds like he has inherited Brian’s attitude if not his ability.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #26
The uncontracted guys at season's end in - Fasolo, Lobbe and Garlett should be gone. Lebois too. Has talent but after 3 years of next to zero output, we probably need to move on. To tell you the truth though, I'd prefer to keep Lebois ahead of all the above listed players, plus Lang and Polson. The contracted in Polson and Macreadie worry me a bit. Particularly Polson. If we wanted to make room with an extra senior list spot, could we delist him then rookie him. Upgrade Gibbons and perhaps trade for another small forward form a rival AFL Club (D.Butler, S.Gray, S.Bolton, A.M-Tipungwuti)???