Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 20: Carlton vs. West Coast (Read 9691 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 20: Carlton vs. West Coast

Reply #15
Tall forwards got sucked up the ground too much, meant nothing to kick to when we had it. One thing we've done well recently is keep our tall forwards deeper.

Our forwards were in the F50 plenty of the time. The kicks simply kept getting intercepted by WC, mostly by McGovern. We had 48 I50's, and the ball just ended up in the wrong hands.

Reply #16

Does anyone know what has happened to McGovern?  I expected him to line up for the Northern Blues.  Surely he can't be that unfit not to get a game with them - or is there some other problem we are not being told about?

Teague said in the post match interview that he will be back very soon i.e next week or the one after.

Reply #17
Is this the post WCE game thread?  Hope so.

I must have been watching a different game to most. I thought we stuck up the joint. Ill-disciplined, soft, selfish, and totally lacking in composure. Sure, they are the reigning premiers and we had Jones out which totally upset the balance but I still expected better.

What the f&ck is the deal with a CFC player being closest to the ball but then being beaten to it by an opponent? They're the Eagles ffs, not the Harlem Globetrotters. Just grab the ball dammit.

As others have said, there were definitely too many that had nights to forget. I don't think it was a great game by us, but WC have monstered plenty of teams better than what we had out there tonight.

Reply #18
As others have said, there were definitely too many that had nights to forget. I don't think it was a great game by us, but WC have monstered plenty of teams better than what we had out there tonight.

Don’t get sucked in by ‘Ivan’ and his negative comments.

Reply #19
Don’t get sucked in by ‘Ivan’ and his negative comments.

I've had a couple of run ins with Ivan, but I reckon he's alright. It wasn't one of our better recent performances, even taking into account the quality of WC.

Reply #20
When you are a team in our position and you have 6+ ‘walkups’ out, you’re going to struggle against a top team. To hang in there, and go down by 4 goals is no disgrace. Add Curnow, Kruezer, Marchbank, Jones, Doherty, Thomas, McGovern and the result might have been even closer!!

Reply #21
Some of our players seemed nervous - did they not believe they were in with a Chance?

Reply #22
When you are a team in our position and you have 6+ ‘walkups’ out, you’re going to struggle against a top team. To hang in there, and go down by 4 goals is no disgrace. Add Curnow, Kruezer, Marchbank, Jones, Doherty, Thomas, McGovern and the result might have been even closer!!

Yes, it's possible. It's also possible WC could have found another gear against a team with those ins. There's many possibilities. If you take out the variables, and just assess the game as a game, it wasn't too flash, and apart from very brief periods we never looked like getting close to winning. It was, in my view, too much left to too few.

Reply #23
And credit's where it's due. Liam Ryan's mark was super.

Reply #26
We met a premiership contender in very good form. Our blokes had a crack but lacked efficiency and the experience to know when to manipulate the game's tempo. Very costly 2nd qtr, virtually even after half time - not bad for a group missing more than 33% of their 'walk up start' players.

Knowing that we'll probably have Jones, Kreuzer, Cuningham, Thomas and Dow available for our next game will be a bonus.

I wonder if anyone has dared ask themselves if DT could possibly be the next Clarkson/Parkin etc.? At this stage I hope the club realizes that they've actually got someone here who knows what he's doing.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #27
Yes we are on an upward trajectory but WC are way ahead of us atm, a very talented side in all depts. I wasn't too surprised by the result tbh and considering the depths we have been plumbing up until recently the result was as good as we could reasonably hoped for. We were playing a likely premiership outfit and we weren't blown away by any means.

I think too many of our F50 entries played into their hands and were easily repelled by their talented defenders too often leading to turnover goals.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #28
We were garbage.

Soft, lazy, inept bordering on simply stupid for vast chunks of the game. Plenty of bludgers thinking their s#$t doesn't stink....Simmo one of the few shining lights.

Gob smacked that LOB keeps getting a game. miles off the pace....

The delivery into F50 was as bad as anything under Bolton....

our poor ball use killed it (the contest). Made it dead easy for the Weagles to run the ball.

Thought DT got slaughtered tactically. And I saw sfa changes tactically during the game.

The 4 goal margin flattered us greatly.

Apart from 10 minutes in Q1 we were deplorable quite frankly.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #29
WC were in second gear most of the game IMO and were clearly the better team, nothing to do with Teague's coaching either, they just have more quality on the park.
eg They could sacrifice a star like Yeo to follow Cripps around but still have another class onballer in Shuey doing the business.
I thought Weitering was very good on Kennedy and Newman had a day out kicking four goals, Philips battled on and it was fairly even in the ruck....WC ball use is very good, most of the their players kick the ball well and they are a well drilled team.
New kid Schumacher got a rough deal starting on Ryan and found the physical side of the game very hard, I really felt for him when he got driven into the ground by Yeo
who is solid unit and that would have hurt but he battled on and he does kick the ball ok.
Walsh started very well and continues to be consistent, Murphy was ok, Plowman had a tough job on Darling, the latter outbodied Philips for a ruck contest goal which tells you how strong he is for a 190cm player and it was the same all over the ground with WC having a lot of developed bigger bodies.
Scoreboard flattered us and we had a few non contributors and need our best team on the park to compete with the heavyweight teams like WC.