Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 20: Carlton vs. West Coast (Read 9710 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 20: Carlton vs. West Coast

Reply #30
We know Walsh is something special but a couple of times today he did some things in collecting and giving balls off  you would expect from a 200 hundred game player.

Reply #31
WC were in second gear most of the game IMO and were clearly the better team, nothing to do with Teague's coaching either, they just have more quality on the park..

Scoreboard flattered us and we had a few non contributors and need our best team on the park to compete with the heavyweight teams like WC.

Yep, that's about it, not much else to say we looked like boys v men on most lines.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #32
From about half way through the 2nd to half way through the 3rd qtr they outscored 9 or 10 goals to 2. That probably covered it right there.

Reply #33
Saw a fair bit of selfishness out there today from a few who should know better....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #34
There were a few times today, that nearly had me smash my TV in frustration. Not due to lack of talent and skill. Not through a lack of speed. Just lazy effort and brain switching off. Lack of belief we can get back into the game. Stupidity in the heat of the moment. Goes brother not having anyone on the mark when he kicks the ball back into play after we score a point. WTF? He gets to run 35m out and kick the ball under no pressure. It takes no skill to stand on the mark. None at all. Just lazy footy. Not going to a contest in your defective 50m when a ball is kicked in your near proximity. Allowing an uncontested mark in front of goal? Really? Lazy. Expecting others to do the defending work. Happened during the whole game numerous times. Not running hard to chase an opponent after a turnover. Lazy. Not a skill problem. Pure lack of application.

In fact when Ryan or Cameron was being chased hard running towards his attacking 50m, the shear fact he was chased, must have given perceived pressure. Hence he ran too far and gave us a free kick. This is simple. Not talent or skill. It’s application. Work ethic. Giving away 50m penalties mouthing off to the umpires. Simo, Jack. Really? Do you honestly think the umpire will reverse a free kick because he respects your opinion? Shut the f@ck up and accept the decision. NOOO, we want the opponent to be within kicking distance of a goal, because we want to voice our opinion.

Some lazy tackle efforts today I was most unhappy with. It again isn’t a skill issue. Handing off a hand pass 3m to your left or right, selling a comrade under pressure? Really? How about moving the ball forwards. Not dishing the ball off because you don’t want to be busted in a tackle. All while no opponent is near you. Come on guys, a little composure. I hope Teague sits all the boys down to watch the replay. To see these simple things that don’t need skill. It’s an application issue. Cost us 3 or 4 goals today. Hang on we only lost by 4 goals. So in reality we could have taken this one all the way today. Lost focus, belief and not prepared to do the hard work. Walsh and Cripps can’t be expected to carry the side. Think.

Sure we didn’t get thumped in the end. I however am not convinced it was bigger bodies, more experience, more talent that beat us. We lost it. We choked. We got lazy and left the work to Walsh, Cripps, Simo, Murphy and Newman. We are better than what we showed today. Sure down with injuries. However stupidity, laziness and lack of effort for 4 quarters is not talent or skill. Don’t do it again in the last 3 games for this season. It isn’t fair on your teammates. It isn’t honourable to your potential permanent coach. It isn’t right to do to your supporters who pay good money to watch you get paid to serve up some effort. When things are going our way.

It’s 3 games. Bring it on 100% and maximum effort for 4 quarters. It’s 3 games. That’s it. Bring it or risk being delisted. Sell them this concept Teague. Just say it once and for all. I wish Doc was out there. Very rare to see him do 3/4 efforts. Play hard for half a game. No wonder Special K, Doc and Daisy are a big loss to us. They never give up. It’s not skill that makes them special. It’s application. Effort. It’s character.

I might be less frustrated in the morning. Don’t kill me for caring how we try to win games. I just think we only gave it half a shot today. Great individual moments here and there. We really should and could have lost by far more. Thank God Kennedy was kept quiet. I wish he never left.

This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #35
We were garbage.

Soft, lazy, inept bordering on simply stupid for vast chunks of the game. Plenty of bludgers thinking their s#$t doesn't stink....Simmo one of the few shining lights.

Gob smacked that LOB keeps getting a game. miles off the pace....

The delivery into F50 was as bad as anything under Bolton....

our poor ball use killed it (the contest). Made it dead easy for the Weagles to run the ball.

Thought DT got slaughtered tactically. And I saw sfa changes tactically during the game.

The 4 goal margin flattered us greatly.

Apart from 10 minutes in Q1 we were deplorable quite frankly.

We played as well as we were allowed to by a greatly superior team, the reigning premiers currently residing at the opposite end of the ladder to where we sit. Yes disappointing but your assessment is way to harsh imo. We are trying to get up of the canvass where we were wallowing for years with little hope. Try not to be too churlish in your judgement as we try and recover from that.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #36
My WCE companion was staggered we were as bad as we were - commented how he expected a contest - got none really.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #37
We know Walsh is something special but a couple of times today he did some things in collecting and giving balls off  you would expect from a 200 hundred game player.

Could win a Brownlow or 3 eventually. I don’t know how he does it. Imagine a great preseason before 2020.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #38
My WCE companion was staggered we were as bad as we were - commented how he expected a contest - got none really.

Staggering how the WCE failed to win by 10 goals really?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #39
Ah so why didn’t they annihilate us? Stupid comment, as if they went easy on us to save some energy for another day. They were stuffed many times, and we looked it too in the last.

Still have some players that stand and watch, unfortunately don’t have Simmos 100% effort across the board.

Boys looked stuffed after last month, it’s been a big couple months for them all, give them a break.

Reply #40
Agree with most the final margin didn’t represent how easy they held us from the second quarter. They are close to full strength and we needed a healthy list to push them.

Thought Harry tried hard all day and presented well up the ground. His kicking is a worry but can’t fault his effort today.

Cripps drop off in performance when he is payed more respect needs to be sorted. Cant go from a match winner to having no impact the next week. He is our captain and we need consistent performance week in week out. Walsh has been more consistent all year seems to be getting better instead of tapering off and reckon he may pip Cripps At the B&F.  Weitering again gets the toughest job but still wins he position. Love watching him back himself in regardless who he is against.  Finally knows how good he is and plays that way. Deserves to be in AA discussions.

Lang can’t get another contract and is gone. Can’t have blokes like that in the line up. No more chances for him.  Kennedy found it tough today against a well drilled back 6. Had a few good weeks but not going to get any cheap goals and won’t impact against the big boys unless he get more strings to his bow.

Fish has been my biggest disappointment his year. Doesn’t get involved enough has to spend the summer in the gym - Too light to play midfield and is unsighted when he plays forward and doesn’t impact.  Has been very lucky to keep his spot and he imo should join Dow in the 2s.

Reply #41

With the 6 changes below, you'll get one

1. Cunningham for Lang
2. Stocker for Deluca
3. Jones for Goddard
4. Docherty for Schumacher
5. C Curnow for Kennedy
6. Kreuzer for Phillips

Lang, Deluca, Goddard and Schumacher (at this stage) are VFL at best and Kennedy/Phillips are on the edge.

Reply #42
We made too many poor decisions today.  We executed pretty badly at times too.

There were lots of bonus goals given to the eagles.  That simpson free kick was disgusting.   The actions cancelled each other out.  To give a stager a free goal when his team was coasting is simply poor judgement by umpires.

I don't know why they bother with cheapies like that when it's a 6 goal game.  Lacks understanding of what's happening and what the game demands.

I understand that holding players off the ball is a free, and I understand that forwards holding defenders on the goal line is kosher when it wouldn't be any other time.  One of darling's Mark's came because Kennedy was shepherding weitering on the goal line and the ball dropped short.  Weitering was simply trying to attack darling who took an uncontested mark, whilst weitering was not able to get a run at it thanks to Kennedy.   Its accepted that had a carlton player marked it, weitering would have held Kennedy out and that's a free kick.  Why not for weitering in reverse?

The umpires gave west coast a lot of free goals. At half time I had them at 4 goals.  Given it was 9 goals 5, to 6 goals 3, that's a game turning impact.

We weren't going to do much today, but I can't understand how we get so hard done by when we aren't looked after.  One of west coasts goals came on the back of a non free to Murphy in the first quarter.  Head high contact, got pinged for holding the ball, and then a nothing 50 metre penalty.   Its crap.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #43
We were garbage.

Soft, lazy, inept bordering on simply stupid for vast chunks of the game. Plenty of bludgers thinking their s#$t doesn't stink....Simmo one of the few shining lights.

Gob smacked that LOB keeps getting a game. miles off the pace....

The delivery into F50 was as bad as anything under Bolton....

our poor ball use killed it (the contest). Made it dead easy for the Weagles to run the ball.

Thought DT got slaughtered tactically. And I saw sfa changes tactically during the game.

The 4 goal margin flattered us greatly.

Apart from 10 minutes in Q1 we were deplorable quite frankly.

Yes.
And they only beat us by 4 goals.

With Daisy and Jones in the side instead of Goddard and Schumaker, we would have beaten them.

We put in a bloody good effort considering the players we were missing I reckon
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #44
Agree with most the final margin didn’t represent how easy they held us from the second quarter. They are close to full strength and we needed a healthy list to push them.

Thought Harry tried hard all day and presented well up the ground. His kicking is a worry but can’t fault his effort today.

Cripps drop off in performance when he is payed more respect needs to be sorted. Cant go from a match winner to having no impact the next week. He is our captain and we need consistent performance week in week out. Walsh has been more consistent all year seems to be getting better instead of tapering off and reckon he may pip Cripps At the B&F.  Weitering again gets the toughest job but still wins he position. Love watching him back himself in regardless who he is against.  Finally knows how good he is and plays that way. Deserves to be in AA discussions.

Lang can’t get another contract and is gone. Can’t have blokes like that in the line up. No more chances for him.  Kennedy found it tough today against a well drilled back 6. Had a few good weeks but not going to get any cheap goals and won’t impact against the big boys unless he get more strings to his bow.

Fish has been my biggest disappointment his year. Doesn’t get involved enough has to spend the summer in the gym - Too light to play midfield and is unsighted when he plays forward and doesn’t impact.  Has been very lucky to keep his spot and he imo should join Dow in the 2s.

Agree on Fisher.
Finals, then 4 in a row!