Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 3 2022 Post Game Permutations Carlton vs Hawthorn (Read 3313 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 3 2022 Post Game Permutations Carlton vs Hawthorn

Reply #15
Worst win ever.
Doesn't matter how pretty it is, at the end of the day its another 'W' and i'll take as many as we can get at this stage.

Teams that start 3-0 have a 70% chance of making finals and i think it was a 50% chance of making the prelim.

Reply #16
Worst win ever.
For you maybe, Ill happily take a win every week no matter how ugly, lucky or whatever other negative adjective you can think of.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #17
Yep agree kruddler.  I've not seen someone play afl footy with so few endearing qualities as boyd.

Hes not hard, he's not tough, he didn't read it well, lacked intensity, lacked composure, leaked goals all day and isn't overly quick.

Summed him up well ...

Reply #18
Worst win ever.
Guys, it was a win we wouldn't have had last year, or for most of this century. We really dug deep at the end there. With a little more luck and an umpire willing to pay frees we could have won by a lot more. It really irritated me that instead of getting a free kick 25 m from goal, the ball goes the length of the field for a goal to them. We tackled marvellously but gained few rewards for it.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #19
And don’t forget Harry’s mark that was touched by the invisible man !
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #20
Fisher needs to do a lot more I reckon EB,  he's treading water ATM.  

I'm not sure that you're allowed to criticise Fisher  ::)

He has had good quarters in the previous games and kicked important goals but just couldn't get into the game today.  At least he managed to stick some tackles and that's a good way to get back some confidence and form.  The VFL stream is kaput but there were a few blokes putting their hands up for a game, and then there's Martin ... and Jesse Motlop (edit).

There weren't too many opportunities for our small forwards today.  The talls marked everything that came their way in the first quarter and Hawthorn's defenders marked just about every inside 50 in the next three quarters.  The big blokes need to bring the ball to ground if they can't mark.

I reckon Fisher might get another week but he needs to take the game on and make the most of his opportunities.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #22
I'm not sure that you're allowed to criticise Fisher  ::)

He has had good quarters in the previous games and kicked important goals but just couldn't get into the game today.  At least he managed to stick some tackles and that's a good way to get back some confidence and form.  The VFL stream is kaput but there were a few blokes putting their hands up for a game, and then there's Martin ... and Jesse Motlop (edit).

There weren't too many opportunities for our small forwards today.  The talls marked everything that came their way in the first quarter and Hawthorn's defenders marked just about every inside 50 in the next three quarters.  The big blokes need to bring the ball to ground if they can't mark.

I reckon Fisher might get another week but he needs to take the game on and make the most of his opportunities.
I'd bring Martin in for Fisher.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #23
Yep agree kruddler.  I've not seen someone play afl footy with so few endearing qualities as boyd.

Hes not hard, he's not tough, he didn't read it well, lacked intensity, lacked composure, leaked goals all day and isn't overly quick.  He can hit a target ok, but not necessarily using it well. 

I dont need a lot to warm up to a player.  Ive championed plenty of also rans but he's not even good enough to be that.  Williamson is a much better footballer and that is saying a lot.

Im hoping it was just nerves but I think he had an opportunity to repel about 4 or 5 goals and each and every time was guilty of not understanding his limitations and playing the percentages.  That is the absolute minimum for a half back IMHO.

What stood out for me most about Boyd was how easy he lost his feet. Maybe it was nerves or needs time to adjust to the pace of the game.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #24
A question for EB1 as I see you were at the game: watching on tv de Koning seemed to go missing from midway through the third quarter and most of the last quarter.  Was he on the bench during that time?  What I did see of his play today wasn't too impressive. 

Reply #25
And don’t forget Harry’s mark that was touched by the invisible man !
Nah, that bounced off the back of the hawthorn defender in front of him.

I thought it did that watching it live, then they showed a replay and it didn't look like it, then they showed another angle and it showed clearly bouncing off his back as originally thought.

Reply #26
A win is a win is a win.

MBB... I'll take an ugly win over an honourable loss every day of the week.

The new coaches got to see clearly our lapse under pressure and inability to get the game back on our terms... work in progress. BUT... the resilience and pure 'will' not to give up is incredibly encouraging. You could mount a legitimate argument for us being 0-3 had this been just about any year previous. We have improved and I reckon our 4 qtr best might just be awesome ...something to look forward to.

I also wouldn't underestimate the importance of a few missing blokes and the positive impact they'll have on the side.

Anyone else watch our last qtr in the VFL? Demolition job on the Box Hill Dawks. Overall in that game, encouraged by the efforts of Parks, Motlop, Dow and Mirkov. Kemp worked his way into the game.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #27
Cripps and Kennedy-3x 30 plus possessions in the first 3 games of the season ;D

Reply #28
Good to see the big in game momentum swings that have bedevilled Carlton over the past couple of seasons have been eradicated by the new Coaching group, defensive structure and game plan. Didn't see the game but we didn't put Hawthorn to the sword when we had them down. We need to keep our concentration throughout the match and develop a killer instinct rather than play like millionaires when we are in top.

Reply #29
Well we have lost a lot of games in recent years from playing 1 bad quarter now we have won a game despite playing 3 bad quarters.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!