Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 3 2022 Post Game Permutations Carlton vs Hawthorn (Read 3310 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 3 2022 Post Game Permutations Carlton vs Hawthorn

Reply #30
We look like we have gassed out in the last half of the last 2 matches. Maybe we're not used to running so hard....lol.

We finished over Richmond but after being in control they gassed out big time today as the Saints kicked 64pts unanswered. We have at least won those games still.

Reply #31
How good was SOS 🆘
His last goal was a ripper.

The coaches will work out what went wrong with our poor i50 use. Fix that and get close to our best 22 and we’ll trouble most
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #32
How good was SOS 🆘
His last goal was a ripper.

The coaches will work out what went wrong with our poor i50 use. Fix that and get close to our best 22 and we’ll trouble most
[1] Jack had 11 marks for 3 goals one. really put up his hand. And all three goals were brilliant, even if the third was best.
[2] Having Saad probably would have made a difference: his disposal may be unique, but he is more likely to hit targets. McGovern would also make a difference, as he would have flown for marks instead of worrying about who was around him. We just missed that at times, even though Lewis Young did a decent job.
Having that little bit of extra pace and strength in guys like Honey and Stocker would also make a difference.
The good thing was that we won without those guys, even with our suspect defence.
Doc had a great game and was one of the reasons we won. His opponents only saw his back, as he was running away from them. he took 13 marks, some of them real clutch marks. And he didn't stuff up his kicks much.
Boyd wasn't a disaster, but he still has a long way to go. You could tell he was very nervous, and he didn't get the run off the flank that he can really provide. What worried me was that he looked relatively weak. He was outmuscled a few time and his normal good ball handling just wasn't there. He'll go out for Saad, but he will be better for the run. The more he plays, the more confidence he gets, the more we'll see his strengths instead of his weaknesses.

[3] Getting us to deliver the ball better hasn't been an issue, but it was today. Even good players kicked directly to our forwards' opponents and really made life difficult for them. Both H and Charlie had their opponents beaten in an even contest, but after half time we didn't get any even contests.
Early in the game our small forwards were running rampant, but they faded when Hawthorn played an extra in defence. We've got to be quicker to counter something like that. Even then our small forward were unlucky not to get goal of the year. That was promising.
Durdin (11 possessions and 1 goal 2) looked very dangerous when we were moving the ball well, but he wasn't in possession often after half time.
Owies was the same. That little extra strength could be useful in both of them.
Fisher was probably the biggest disappointment of the three, even though he did spend time on the ball. He fumbles too often at the moment and gets bodied out too easily.
[4] Cripps had 11 tackles, yet how many frees did he get? Not very many.
George Hewett had 9 tackles and 9 clearances, yet how often was he rewarded? This is an issue that has reared its head before and probably will again. We had a couple of excellent tackles that weren't rewarded, a couple of huge rundowns that were, but too often we gave too much space to hawthorn players too often. A zone is nice, but hawthorn worked around it. We need a Plan B.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #33
And don’t forget Harry’s mark that was touched by the invisible man !
I actually think Harry dropped it and then grabbed it again off Sicily's back.

However, the worse one was Sicily done cold losing the ball 30m out in a tackle - play on was the call and that led to Gunston booting one to grab the lead.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #34
Both last week and this week, we went into slow, down the line footy which was picked off time and again.  Lost count of the number of marks the Dawks took in their defensive 50, often unchallenged.  We needed to make them work harder to get it back.

Our big achilles heel remains leg speed - as soon as the ball gets out the back, we are stuffed.  That was basically the Dawks game plan - clog up our forward line, wait for a turnover, then go like the clappers while we all stood around like statues.  That is where McGovern and Saad were sorely missed today.

And please, Vossy, have a word to Crippa about game awareness.  With <5 min to go, and we leading by 7 points, he took a mark about 60 metres out.   A wise-headed captain stops, takes time off the clock and then looks for a target.  But Crippa took off straight away into an impossible situation, turnover, down the other end, Gunston goals from a free.  Grrrr.....
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #35
Very good comments :) 

Reply #36
I'm still not sure who came off for Martin, was it Pittonet?
And does activation of the sub mean the player who came off is automatically ruled out for the next match?

Reply #37
I'm still not sure who came off for Martin, was it Pittonet? Yes
And does activation of the sub mean the player who came off is automatically ruled out for the next match? No, if it wasn't a concussion substitution

Reply #38
Both teams made a lot of errors today, lots of dropped uncontested marks, lots of poor ball use heading into F50.

In the end we get an ugly win, but really if we'd kept our composure like the first two rounds we probably should have won by some comfortable margin. Our KPFs played a little naïve, and our SFs didn't give them suitable chop outs, this week we were well beaten for ground ball in our F50, never really looked like crumbing one. Dawks cleaned up too many of our F50 entries too easily.

I thought we didn't really get connected in the midfield either, we won plenty of hard balls but often made little forward progress, just not as clean this week as we have been in pervious weeks.

I actually think we got a bit greedy, I suspect the stats might show a drop in the GAs and 1%s.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #39
Just finished watching the replay. Extremely frustrating after quarter time. Seemed to me that we began the 2nd qtr with much the same purpose and intent but about half way through, I don't know, we seemed to get cute?? Started to make the wrong decisions, poor delivery into F50, too much latitude on opponents. Were we getting arrogant? Anyway Dawks started to get a sniff and then we started to make more mistakes more out of panic. Did well to get the win really. Thought while it was our forwards who got us into a winning position it was the backline that saved the game. Doc, Weiters and even Newman and Plowman dragged us to the finish line. Thought Williams was very bad and Boyd will definitely make way for Saad. I also think Lewis Young was pretty good.
I'd give Fisher a rest and play Dow. Based on VFL reports I think he's earned it.

Reply #40
Our first quarter was probably the best football we have played for a decade or more.  What happened next may have been a product of over-confidence or simply that Hawthorn's pressure disrupted our forward 50 entries and gave them the opportunity to score from rebounds.

What I think is indisputable is that Carlton teams of the last decade would have given up when we lost the lead in the last quarter.  The fact that we got the lead back and defended it successfully is probably more important than the champagne footy we played in the first quarter.

The coaches and playing group will have a bit to take out of the game and that must help with our development.  Meanwhile, 3-0 is probably beyond even the most optimistic supporter's expectations, particularly when the third win is over a previously undefeated team and one that we've struggled with recently.

Another positive is the first up form of Lewis Young.  Despite the pressure on our defence from turnovers in our forward 50, Young showed good judgement and poise and, with Weitering, controlled the air with his marking and contest-killing spoils.  Boyd was a less successful inclusion and he has to make way for Saad's return.  The other likely change is Martin for Fisher.

Meanwhile, Paddy Dow is hammering on the selectors' door and Motlop, Kemp and Stocker aren't far behind.

A great win in the circumstances.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #41
Very impressed with Young looked like he was given a job to do on Lewis and he stuck to it. Not flashy but steady with no Chaos kicking and I think will be a good partner to Weitering for awhile.
Can’t believe the dog’s rucked him with their undersized backline on todays form a definite win for Austin’s recruiting. Unfortunately Boyd dime a dozen VFA player others should now be preferred in front of him but he has had a taste of what’s required and the extra pace etc might help him to improve to handy level

Reply #42
Our first quarter was probably the best football we have played for a decade or more.  What happened next may have been a product of over-confidence or simply that Hawthorn's pressure disrupted our forward 50 entries and gave them the opportunity to score from rebounds.
I was at the ground and I have to say a lot of us saw the momentum swing coming. Despite our start we looked flat, even in the 1st term, like the first two rounds had taken a lot of run out of our legs. We were terrific at the contest, but once the Dawks got into the open we were struggling to react and then slow to chase.

As much as fans bag LoB and Setters without those two today deep running from BP to FP we would have lost. Along with BigH, SoJ, Hewett and Owies they were the only others who ran hard all day. Even Cerra looked flat.

Dawks inexperience played into Weiters hand, and our ball use did much the same at the other end, we fatigued very early and the decision making and ball skills went out the window.

Dawks were undersized today, and after 1/4-time we could leverage that, it wasn't a great game.

Part of the problem will be new coach versus new coach, neither appeared clued up on what the other was doing and it showed.

Dawks dragged the likes of Durdin and Owies we'll up the ground after 1/4-time, and this meant despite being given lots of opportunities we had nobody at the feet of BigH, SoJ and Charlie running interference. It's a weakness in our game plan and when we lose the centre clearance it sticks out because we need Durdin and Owies chasing up beyond the wing.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #43
I'm still not sure who came off for Martin, was it Pittonet?
And does activation of the sub mean the player who came off is automatically ruled out for the next match?
100% Pittonet is the AFL report.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #44
100% Pittonet is the AFL report.

We will get a “please explain” for that as Pitto didn’t seem to be injured.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball