Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 3 2022 Post Game Permutations Carlton vs Hawthorn (Read 3315 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 3 2022 Post Game Permutations Carlton vs Hawthorn

Reply #60
Not so sold on McGovern as a defender but like his brother he is the genuine intercept defender. Weitering and Plowman are genuine lockdown types but only Saad and Stocker imo do both attack and defend well.
Docherty imho is another whose defending is questionable at times.
If Weitering was to get injured then I feel we would be very shaky down back.

Reply #61
Not so sold on McGovern as a defender but like his brother he is the genuine intercept defender. Weitering and Plowman are genuine lockdown types but only Saad and Stocker imo do both attack and defend well.
In fairness @ElwoodBlues1‍ it took you many years to be convinced about Weitering, I suppose in this regard you wouldn't be classified an early adopter! ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #62
In fairness @ElwoodBlues1‍ it took you many years to be convinced about Weitering, I suppose in this regard you wouldn't be classified an early adopter! ;D
I'll pay that LP and give you bonus points for having a good memory. :D

Reply #63
Regarding Weitering, did anyone else find it odd, when he over committed to a marking contest, allowing Gunston to waltz into 50 and create a 2 on 1 situation where they were almost guaranteed a goal?

Was the one that put Hawthorn in front, and I remember thinking to myself, for the first time Weitering absolutely failed to play the percentages there and should have just held him up in order to try and get some mates back.  Either that, or he is carrying an injury and knew that Gunston would just run past him on the mark, and he would be done.

Thing is, we cant see what he sees either, and it might have been a fait accompli based on no one else running back to help.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #64
Regarding Weitering, did anyone else find it odd, when he over committed to a marking contest, allowing Gunston to waltz into 50 and create a 2 on 1 situation where they were almost guaranteed a goal?

Thing is, we cant see what he sees either, and it might have been a fait accompli based on no one else running back to help.
Maybe it's a TV issue, I was at the ground and that happened in front of me, the Dawks already had an overlap with a spare player forward of the ball. Weitering had no choice but to try and intercept the pill before it got back to where they already had greater numbers. The Dawks were sprinting forward off our Mids from the 2nd Qtr onwards, pretty much every time CJ got the pill they would just take off. So pace is still a glaring issue, but I have to say we looked flat even in the 1st Qtr.

More disturbing was how many of their blokes were giving our blokes the "Don't Argue" and getting away too easily, we missed so many tackles it cost us dearly.

We needed an extra small / medium lock down forward who could exert pressure of CJ, BigH was about the only bloke we had that could run him down and who was sticking tackles, but often BigH wasn't near the scene of the crime.

Talking to a few Dawks fans after the game, they had Weiters as Carlton's best, they said he monstered their medium forwards all day long. They had their bloke CJ as best overall, I thought Doc was best overall. So much you don't see on TV, the hard work is often already done and dusted before they come into camera view.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #65
Yes, Weiters was in a hard place.  At the game, I did think the better option was to have tried to hold Gunston up.  (Not that it matters, but I didn't realise it was #23 at the time).

Interestingly, the Parkin medalist (Doc) wasn't in the coaches votes.

Reply #66
Interestingly, the Parkin medalist (Doc) wasn't in the coaches votes.
@dodge‍ not sure where you are looking, he got BoG with 9 votes!

AFLCA
9 Sam Docherty (CARL)
8 Changkuoth Jiath (HAW)
5 Jacob Weitering (CARL)
5 Patrick Cripps (CARL)
3 Dylan Moore (HAW)
https://aflcoaches.com.au/awards/the-aflca-champion-player-of-the-year-award/leaderboard/2022/20220103
The Force Awakens!

Reply #67
Oops.  Quite wrong on my behalf!

Reply #68

Was the one that put Hawthorn in front, and I remember thinking to myself, for the first time Weitering absolutely failed to play the percentages there and should have just held him up in order to try and get some mates back.  Either that, or he is carrying an injury and knew that Gunston would just run past him on the mark, and he would be done.

To be honest, Jacob hasn't looked 100% yet. He is never that quick, but he appears to be carrying a few niggles at the moment. Maybe lacking the confidence he had last year as a result. He will be better. Last year he often ran off his man and provided a target and he took a lot more marks. he has done neither very often this season. But, it will come.
Live Long and Prosper!