Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 18 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Port Adelaide (Read 5055 times) previous topic - next topic

AFL Rd 18 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Righto, 3 wins in a row, now we play a big dog. To contend you have to beat contenders, so can we?
What I know for certain is we must:
- Be the hunter again
- Pressure on the oppo ball carrier has to be even higher this week
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Re: AFL Rd 18 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #1
Righto, 3 wins in a row, now we play a big dog. To contend you have to beat contenders, so can we?
- Be the hunter again

We can win this game...if it was in Adelaide I wouldn't give us much of a chance but away from home I don't see them as good and they are a bit banged up. 13 wins in a row is a long haul and they are due to lose...
Their backline isn't big and Jonas will be playing his first game for a while. Obviously they have a strong onball unit and Charlie Dixon usually makes his presence felt and they have Finlayson and Marshall as tall marking targets also so it's going to be won and lost in the midfield given both defenses I think will be stretched...

Reply #2
We can win this game...if it was in Adelaide I wouldn't give us much of a chance but away from home I don't see them as good and they are a bit banged up. 13 wins in a row is a long haul and they are due to lose...
Their backline isn't big and Jonas will be playing his first game for a while. Obviously they have a strong onball unit and Charlie Dixon usually makes his presence felt and they have Finlayson and Marshall as tall marking targets also so it's going to be won and lost in the midfield given both defenses I think will be stretched...

They are banged up indeed and if we can't get em this week we never will. They have no rucks which seems to suit us these days, Dixon and Finlayson can barely walk. As you say their midfield is one of the best in the business but if ours continues  with their recent excellent form, we can match them there. It will be a hard assignment for us as I am not as negative towards them in regards to the their form away from home. You don't win 13 in row if you are no good, how banged up they are will be the determining factor at the end of the day.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #3
I think Port are due for a loss.  They stumbled over the line against the Bombers, and their first half against the Suns was pedestrian at best.

They also have Collingwood the week after us, so given the importance of that game, they may be looking to 'manage' one or two of the walking wounded.

I would be happy if we were the beneficiaries of them having their mind off this week's game.

This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #4
Ah, the life of a Carlton supporter.

3 week ago we were sacking half our list and the coach wasn't too far away either.
Now we are expecting to win against a team who hasn't lost in over 3 months.

Ya gotta laugh.

Reply #5

3 week ago we were sacking half our list and the coach wasn't too far away either.

Ya gotta laugh.
To quote several pundits, '3 weeks is a lifetime in footy!'

I'd love to know what they talked about when they had the BBQ at Ed Curnow's place after the Essendon debacle.

This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #6
Hopefully the good form of the last 3 games carries over to this game, and we fight hard and pressure and make Port earn every possession, goal etc. We’re not at the level to beat a form team like Port IMO, but if we give them a major fright and run them ragged for 4 quarters, the realistic part of me says that’s probably the best we can expect. Port by 3 points.

Reply #7
Oh, and please kick straight. None of this 2.15 nonsense.

Reply #8
Oh, and please kick straight. None of this 2.15 nonsense.

IMO that will be the key to beating them. Our defence has been playing very well but we will need to look out for Dixon and Findlayson.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #9
- Be the hunter again

Yep.

I have absolutely no doubt that IF we bring, for 120 minutes, our (strongly evolving) hunter intensity, we'll beat anyone...
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #10

Ya gotta laugh.

With respect, I don't think that is entirely accurate, K.

Only a very few called for a major cull/coach replacement. I think most of us realise that there will be a moderate cull, nothing major, at year's end. And the cull will only be those whose bodies just aren't up to it and those few who just aren't coming along after having been given plenty of opportunity. And I don't recall anyone on this forum calling for Vossy's sacking.

The biggest questions being asked, very reasonably, were around leadership and discipline.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #11
I'd love to know what they talked about when they had the BBQ at Ed Curnow's place after the Essendon debacle.
Maybe they said something along the lines of "hey, you now what. If we had've kicked 16.6 instead of 6.16 we would've won that game, easy"
Next 3 games

Reply #12
I think what was being said was that the coach and players needed to win a few games or the pressure would increase.

Well... ;D
It's not rocket science.
Ask Stewie Dew ;)

Reply #13
The suns have the same amount of wins as us lol.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #14
With respect, I don't think that is entirely accurate, K.

Only a very few called for a major cull/coach replacement. I think most of us realise that there will be a moderate cull, nothing major, at year's end. And the cull will only be those whose bodies just aren't up to it and those few who just aren't coming along after having been given plenty of opportunity. And I don't recall anyone on this forum calling for Vossy's sacking.

The biggest questions being asked, very reasonably, were around leadership and discipline.

Even the most one-eyed supporter would agree that a few of the players on the field during our slump aren’t yet truly competitive at AFL level.  Replacing them, or fast-tracking their development, is required to ensure finishing in the eight.

With the exception of our rucks, the combination we’re putting on the park now is stronger and better balanced than the team we went with in the first half of the season.  Kemp, Martin, Cuningham and Fogarty have added run, defensive pressure, better ball use, a deeper midfield and contributed to a more fluent forward line.

The makeshift ruck has also had a positive impact with the mids really stepping up.  Young becomes an extra defender when he’s not rucking and Silvagni is popping up all over the ground to good effect.  However, I don’t think that will be sustainable against the likes of Melbourne, Brisbane and Collingwood.  It should work against Port though.

Port’s winning streak has dispelled any thoughts that they’re flaky away from home but I think that we will benefit from home ground advantage.

Hinkley will be flat out trying to work out how to counter the “new” Carlton and I’m expecting a tougher contest.  Provided we bring the same energy and attack on the ball and opposition, we should make it four wins in a row.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball