Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 18 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Port Adelaide (Read 5178 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 18 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #15
I never feel comfortable saying we are back. I’m always hopeful, but wary at the same time. It’s been an impressive 4 games, that’s for sure.
Same here - BUT what can we do as supporters other than trust the process they told us is in place - of course having Cunners and Martin fit is also very helpful.

It is up to them now, let’s see if we make finals or just miss out again.

Reply #16
What a fantastic result. Congratulations to all. I didn't think we'd pull that one off. I've never been so thrilled to be wrong. IF....... we can keep this momentum up, well you know the rest.

Can't wait to watch the replay.
Hope our injuries and report are positive.

Go Blues

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #17
Been waiting for a big win against a top 4 team and we have it. 

Not only we smashed them we did it without the usual top liners playing blinders.Massive even team performance.

I’m usually a hard marker and find negatives regularly but I’m very impressed with this win. They have won 13 in a row and while they lost a few pre game we lost one of our very best early which easily negates their loss and adding in no standout performances by Cripps or Charlie etc this win is full of merit.

Great signs and great for team confidence - has the long sleeping giant finally woken?

Reply #18
My plans to attend the game fell in a heap and I had to watch it from home with the fire roaring and two large shaggy dogs on the couch with me.  I enjoyed a couple of cans of CFC-branded beer before switching to Laphroig for the last quarter. 🙂

Apart from Harry’s injury, that was one of the most enjoyable games I’ve watched for some time.  We played the game on our terms, adjusted to cover the loss of Harry, and countered every Port challenge.  It also showed that tagging opposition guns is unnecessary, provided your team defence is sound and you punish the opposition on the rebound.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #19
My plans to attend the game fell in a heap and I had to watch it from home with the fire roaring and two large shaggy dogs on the couch with me.  I enjoyed a couple of cans of CFC-branded beer before switching to Laphroig for the last quarter. 🙂

Apart from Harry’s injury, that was one of the most enjoyable games I’ve watched for some time.  We played the game on our terms, adjusted to cover the loss of Harry, and countered every Port challenge.  It also showed that tagging opposition guns is unnecessary, provided your team defence is sound and you punish the opposition on the rebound.
My plans to go also changed, I stumbled across a great slow cooker mulled wine recipe during the week so a couple of cups of that kept me company during the game.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #20
Gees Curnow was good, gave Aliir an absolute bath, if frees were paid for blatant blocks and holds he would have kicked ten today. Kane can't bitch about umpiring today, otherwise it would have pushed 100 points I reckon.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #21
We didn't just beat them.
We crapped on them :D
Indeed. had we kicked a little straighter, it could have been a true bath. Still, I think this is our greatest winning margin against Port (I might be wrong). Certainly our best win: 11th thrashing 2nd.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #22
Had the privilege of watching this game from a corporate suite with food and grog provided.
Wasn't expected a win, but thought the experience would be enjoyable enough.
F*** me.....what happened?

I kept pinching myself because i couldn't believe my eyes.

Finals here we come???

Reply #23
Not sure. I'd be more worried about the likes of Mckay and Saad, but Boyd did okay.

I've been critical of Jack Silvagni in the past, and whilst i appreciate his heart, I've never been his biggest fan. But he's been so good since the bye. Great effort Jack. Well done young man.
Jack had one of his best ever games today. Our 3 tall forward line was far too good for Port, until H got injured. Jack took up the slack and delivered.
Charlie had his opponents thrashed early, only to miss twice. he was then well held for close to 2 quarters. Then he got right on top and missed again. Could have had 8.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #24
Gees Curnow was good, gave Aliir an absolute bath, if frees were paid for blatant blocks and holds he would have kicked ten today. Kane can't bitch about umpiring today, otherwise it would have pushed 100 points I reckon.

Incidentally, i saw Kan Cornes after the game and had to resist the urge to belt him and point out how wrong he is.....about well....everything. Even after the big loss he had that smug look on his face.

Personally i thought Aliir Aliir beat Charlie when it mattered. Charlie got a few goals late when the result was beyond doubt, but early on Charlie was outmarked and outpositioned pretty easily. Shows you can beat Charlie in a contest, in a quarter, but not for a whole match.

Reply #25
Convincing win, didnt watch the game due to a family function but will in the next few days.
Hard not to be impressed with that scoreline and Ports outs didn't affect the game to the extent they could use that as an excuse given the winning margin. Hopefully a few results go our way with other teams in the next couple of weeks and we can sneak into the eight..
You are going enjoy a lot of what you see. We were a real team effort today.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #26
He probably will; he is that sort of flog. However, they got half of their scores from dubious frees. Charlie could well have had a LOT more shots if even a couple of the frees were paid. Nor was he alone: the number of times our tackles were not rewarded, I can barely believe.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #27
The two that Chuck tapped down to Motlop were blatant arm holds by Aliir, but the guide dog was asleep
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #28
Nic Newman: a guy some idiots in the press wanted to get rid of a few weeks back: 23 possessions, 9 tackles (and really good ones!), 1 goal and 9 scores involvements from the back pocket!!!! 9 score involvements! He really pulled out all stops.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #29
The two that Chuck tapped down to Motlop were blatant arm holds by Aliir, but the guide dog was asleep
They were terrible, but things worked out all right.
Live Long and Prosper!