Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW 2021 Rd 1: Carlton vs Collingwood at Ikon on Thursday (Read 3924 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW 2021 Rd 1: Carlton vs Collingwood at Ikon on Thursday

Reply #30
Pies girls seem bigger, better skilled and generally have more composure with ball in hand, Maddy P playing a lone hand in the middle and the girls down back look undersized and lacking much nous unlike the Collingwood defense who are very solid.
One of the things that bitterly disappointed me about last night was our inability to get the ball to a team mate. Granted that we were under a fair bit of pressure and found it hard to generate the loose man ... er, woman, but our kicking into the forward line was poor and game our forward very little chance. We just bombed it long and hoped.

Collingwood were also very good in the middle early. The clearances were 18 to 6 at half time, yet we had hands on the ball first almost every time. We need to work on blocking to help Maddie P. Last night they were hunting her, and she still got the ball 18 times.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #31
Umpire must be a pies supporter. He will not pay us a free for holding the ball.
Actually, Krudd, we managed to get a LOT of holding the ball decisions. Our tackling was brilliant all night. Unfortunately we should have got quite a few more, especially in the last quarter.

One of the things I liked the best of the night was our physicality.  They may have out-run us, but we ran them down so many times! It was lovely to see. Our first 6 frees were holding the ball, from really good run-downs. Pity they forgot about it late in the game. Could have been the difference.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #32
Credit where credit is due; Carlton have strived for consistency across both the Men's and Women's teams and it really does appear they have this now.
Indeed, there were a LOT of similarities. Good running and chasing. Poor forward work. Ordinary disposal. Real Guts and determination. Inability to find a forward. Not many crumbing goals.
In the first season Darcy Vescio got a lot of crumbing goals. We got a lot in the square, especially in the rough and tumble. We no longer do that. Darcy is struggling to make the impact she did early on, her kicking has dropped off and she is not holding one grab marks any longer.

Georgie Gee is a great little battler, but she can't hold her marks under physical pressure. She got her hands to the ball so many times last night, but was a little fumbly. A lot of our players fumbled at the wrong time, allowing Collingwood players to get into the contest.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #33
Scoreless first two quarters hurt.
Absolutely. Lethal. And yet we still could have won that game with only a little luck. Collingwood held on well, but they were holding on as hard as they could. Give us a couple more more and the result could well have been different.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #34
Just a few more points. I am moving house and things are pretty chaotic around here.

[1] I would have tagged Davey into extinction. if it is good enough for Maddie P to be manhandled like that, then it is good enough for their best player.

[2] We missed Walker and Dalton. Our forward line lacked the pace to make the most of some of our moves. Dalton, in particular, really gives us something with her pace and ferocity.

[3] We only have one marking target in the forward half. That is not a recipe for success. It is no good having Darcy Vescio as the 2nd marking target when she isn't taking them and has to play on their taller, stronger defenders.

[4] We need to learn how to shepherd and block, so our players get a decent run at the ball. Our defence appears to be reasonable at it: the Collingwood forward took about 2 marks for the night. But our mids were getting smashed. Especially Maddie P. She got the ball in her hands at almost every centre contest, but usually had to handball under pressure. After 2 or 3 handballs, we'd turn it over and Collingwood would get the centre clearance.

[5] Tayla got a little of her own back, even though she didn't kick a goal. She won a lot more contests than she lost and was better than she has been on the ground. Her kicking was ordinary, and shows she hasn't been training on it enough. Her opponent got a lot of kicks when we missed the target, or bombed it away; she didn't actually beat Tayla very often at all.

[6] The end appears to be coming for Alison Downie. She was reasonable in the centre square, even against a taller opponent, but her work around the ground or in the forward half was non-existent. We can't afford that if she isn't winning in the ruck.

[7] Bree Moody, on the other hand, was excellent around the ground and made a lot fewer mistakes than recently. But she didn't seem to have her normal huge leap. She did OK in the ruck, but we didn't dominate it, which we do when we win.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #35
One of the things that bitterly disappointed me about last night was our inability to get the ball to a team mate. Granted that we were under a fair bit of pressure and found it hard to generate the loose man ... er, woman, but our kicking into the forward line was poor and game our forward very little chance. We just bombed it long and hoped.

Collingwood were also very good in the middle early. The clearances were 18 to 6 at half time, yet we had hands on the ball first almost every time. We need to work on blocking to help Maddie P. Last night they were hunting her, and she still got the ball 18 times.
They were definitely a lot slicker than us by hand, they seemed to get into space and out the congestion much easier. We took that split second too long giving off the handball.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #36
Actually, Krudd, we managed to get a LOT of holding the ball decisions. Our tackling was brilliant all night. Unfortunately we should have got quite a few more, especially in the last quarter.

I think i wrote that in the first half. As someone else mentioned, the umpiring in the second half was much improved.

Although granted a 'team mark' after about 3 pies players had their hands on it, including 1 player literally handed it to another player was a step too far.

Reply #37
[2] We missed Walker and Dalton. Our forward line lacked the pace to make the most of some of our moves. Dalton, in particular, really gives us something with her pace and ferocity.

[3] We only have one marking target in the forward half. That is not a recipe for success. It is no good having Darcy Vescio as the 2nd marking target when she isn't taking them and has to play on their taller, stronger defenders.

[4] We need to learn how to shepherd and block, so our players get a decent run at the ball. Our defence appears to be reasonable at it: the Collingwood forward took about 2 marks for the night. But our mids were getting smashed. Especially Maddie P. She got the ball in her hands at almost every centre contest, but usually had to handball under pressure. After 2 or 3 handballs, we'd turn it over and Collingwood would get the centre clearance.

[5] Tayla got a little of her own back, even though she didn't kick a goal. She won a lot more contests than she lost and was better than she has been on the ground. Her kicking was ordinary, and shows she hasn't been training on it enough. Her opponent got a lot of kicks when we missed the target, or bombed it away; she didn't actually beat Tayla very often at all.

This is the ball game.

We couldn't create enough run and carry (normally provided by Dalton + Walker) thus we allowed the pies to get back in defense and create more contests. Bombing long to those contests did not work in our favour because Nic Stevens (our other marking target) could not hold a mark and Tayla had to beat extras. Our kicks to advantage was very non-existent all over the ground, but especially going inside 50. We need to use the ball better.

Charlotte Wilson can not kick. We can not play keepings off in the back half with Wilson being in the chain as its 50-50 whether she will turn it over. Let her defend, and get the ball out of there so she doesn't have to kick it.
Lauren Brazzalle can boot the ball as long as anyone, but cannot hit a target. Her playing as a winger is a blessing and a curse. Generates run and carry but can turn it over and we get hurt the other way with everyone out of position. I thought she was one of our best in the last because we simply needed the ball forward....but we need to be smarter with that last kick.

Georgia Gee and Darcy Vescio are our best users of the ball but are both wasted as crumbers in our forward line. We need at least 1 to be up the ground getting the ball inside 50, especially when we are struggling like we were in the first half.

Reply #38
I think i wrote that in the first half. As someone else mentioned, the umpiring in the second half was much improved.

Although granted a 'team mark' after about 3 pies players had their hands on it, including 1 player literally handed it to another player was a step too far.
That one was an absolute shocker. As I screamed out a number of times during the game, they guessed and guessed incorrectly.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #39
Just a few more points. I am moving house and things are pretty chaotic around here.

[1] I would have tagged Davey into extinction. if it is good enough for Maddie P to be manhandled like that, then it is good enough for their best player.
I admire Half for not doing it and I doubt Harf is the problem, I think his coaching opponent standing hard tag extra numbers on Prespakis and Harris is the problem and degrading the AFLW spectacle.

McGuire lambasted us a couple of years back for using those stopping tactics against them, I wonder if McGuire high fived his coach or gave him a stern lecture after that win, because as a tactic tagging is largely killing the AFLW spectacle.

The solution is to take it out of the coaches hands altogether, and get the umpires penalising taggers for early holds or obstructions regardless of whether they think a player was hindered or not. I'd rather see a few weeks of countless free kicks putting an end to this tactic than suffer years of scrum based fumbling.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #40
I think one of the things we'll see as this competition progresses is a fairly quick improvement in the quality of the general play and the skills needed at this level
Players who may be stars in the early years will come back to the pack and be surpassed as the newer improved 'models' of AFLW player emerges.
It'll probably take some years for a settled consistency to develop.

Reply #41
I think one of the things we'll see as this competition progresses is a fairly quick improvement in the quality of the general play and the skills needed at this level
Players who may be stars in the early years will come back to the pack and be surpassed as the newer improved 'models' of AFLW player emerges.
It'll probably take some years for a settled consistency to develop.

Agree lods.

Not sure if you watched the game, but i reckon our skills were worse than previous.

I'm sure some of that could be due to being 10 months between matches and a bit of rust..

Reply #42
Didn't we get done by the Pies first up last year and then went on to be contenders??  A rusty start with a good finish.....like a good Peter Moody filly, they'll be better for the run!

Reply #43
Didn't we get done by the Pies first up last year and then went on to be contenders??  A rusty start with a good finish.....like a good Peter Moody filly, they'll be better for the run!
I think we played them round 2 last year

Edit. Yeah r2 loss. R1 was vs tigers.
Fun fact, our only loss last year was against the pies. Undefeated apart from that.

Reply #44
Agree lods.

Not sure if you watched the game, but i reckon our skills were worse than previous.

I'm sure some of that could be due to being 10 months between matches and a bit of rust..
@Lods @kruddler

Yes, we've been predicting this evolution for a couple of seasons now, and it looks like it will take a few more, but .......................

Watching some of the other games a couple were quite open matches with very little tagging, the skills looked better, the game was faster, they were generally a much much better spectacle. Traditionally this is not what AFL coaches want, but it's much much better for the fans to see players set free!

The rather arbitrary decision regarding which tactics get priority has an effect.
The Force Awakens!