Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW R6 - Carlton Vs Geelong - Sun 12:40 @ Ikon (Read 2875 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW R6 - Carlton Vs Geelong - Sun 12:40 @ Ikon

Reply #30

A couple late ones helped.

% increased to 112.3 which was about half what we need to matter.

Reply #31
Good win. Still troubled by our periods of absence

Congratulations to the girls 👏
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #32
12 - 21 free kicks might have hampered our efforts a little.
Most obviously q4. Cats out on the full call ignored by central ump!
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #33
Prespakis with 27 touches and a goal despite spending a chunk of the 2nd quarter on the bench.
Vescio kicked 2 and was directly responsible for at least 3 more.
Gee was quiet but is always dangerous and finished with 2.
Best game from Harrington for the year. She's found her run....and plenty of the ball with 21 touches from the backline.
Pound solid as ever in defence. We missed her at the start of the year.
Greg Egan proving to be consistent with a solid 24 touches and plenty of grunt work.
Gibbs showing she does belong. I wanted her in a couple weeks before she got her go. I can't see her getting out of the side anytime soon.
Hill was dominant before the knee and will be sorely missed.
McKay would have to win our most improved. Didn't get a game last year and know is as solid as anyone through the guts. Class runs in the family.
O'Dea got written off a bit, but proves she still has it. Smart user of the ball who uses her body well.
Loynes battles like we know she can. She had 2 more tackles than everyone else in navy blue today.
Moody was dominant in the ruck today. Had 23 hitouts. Cats managed 8. (Downie and Gibbs combined for a further 7)

I won't mention everyone. But there were not too many passengers today.

Reply #34
12 - 21 free kicks might have hampered our efforts a little.
Most obviously q4. Cats out on the full call ignored by central ump!

I think it was something like 11-12 at 3/4 time.

I made a comment about the umps trying to keep the cats in it, but even that has shocked me!

Reply #35
I think it was something like 11-12 at 3/4 time.

I made a comment about the umps trying to keep the cats in it, but even that has shocked me!
The Umpiring was very ordinary. It cost us 3 goals and they didn't get many more than that. We couldn't get a free for love or money.
The one that stuck out the most was a bit of lay from Maddy Prespakis, who dove into the pack, grabbed the ball cleanly and handballed it out, only to be penalized for a below the knee.
I was very vocal about that one!
Another that stuck out was a 2 handed shove on Mua that pushed her under the ball. The Geelong player than grabbed the ball and was not penalized. It led directly to a goal. It couldn't have been any more obvious, but it was totally ignored. Then, the Cats got a free just before the 3/4 time siren for the softest in-the-back I think I have ever seen.
I was livid, there was no doubt about that.

As long as we continue to recruit umpires from Yooralla and similar places, the umpiring will remain guesswork.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #36
Good win. Still troubled by our periods of absence

Congratulations to the girls 👏
I must admit I was not all that happy at today's game. I really liked the win and the increase in percentage was welcome, but it could have been so much more.
[1] Our disposal:
If we do not make the finals this year, then it will be because of our poor disposal. Simple as that. The number of times we missed targets by over-kicking reminded me of the days where we couldn't hit Fev for love or money. I think our handball was actually a bit better today: there wasn't as much of handballing behind the girl running past. There was some, but it wasn't as prevalent.
More common, and it cost us about 5 or 6 goals, was our inability to kick or handball to advantage. Having the extra player and goal beckoning and we kick or handball to the one Geelong player's advantage. It frustrated me a lot.
[2] Kicking to a player standing still:
Another classical mistake which appears to be part of our game plan, we were picked off too many time for my liking. Especially in defence, one of our players who make a good break and the ball is kicked to her. However, is it kicked to her advantage? No, she has to stop and prop. That allowed a Geelong player to get to the contest, which we usually did not win, as our player had no momentum.
It is not like we did this only once or twice, we did it consistently. Time and time again, Carlton players found the ball kicked to where they were, so they had to stop and prop.
[3] Kicking to Maddy Prespakis as a marking target:
Maddy spent time up forward in the 2nd half, probably as a result of her injury before half time time. It wasn't a bad thing, as her disposal up there was appreciated. However, the number of time that we burst from defence and had only Maddy P as a marking target was unbelievable. Often she was one against 2, sometime as many as one against 4! In Maddy's favour, she often made a decent contest of the situation, but she shouldn't have to! One out, she is a good bet, but as it was, it was embarrassing!

Had we played a decent team, we would have been in trouble.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #37
I wish I had access to the stats, but I'll do my best anyway.
[1] Katie Loynes: She may be ancient and injury ridden, but by God she makes a difference to our team. her leadership and endeavour were fantastic. Unfortunately, she is quickly heading towards the end. I can't see her on our list next year, as she is struggling with the pace of the game. Give her an inside job and she'll throw herself into with tackles and smothers and real pressure. But on the outside ... :(
[2] Darcy Vescio is in a rare vein of form. She thrashed her opponent again today and was a part of 5 or 6 goals. Without her, our forward line would be dysfunctional.
[3] Kerryn Harrington had her best game of the year by some kms. She rediscovered her run, and she rediscovered her ability to intercept mark. He runs out of defence were excellent.
For much of the year Kezz has had to play a negative role, which she has done adequately, but it is the confidence the team gains when she runs out of defence and gets 20+ possessions that really makes a difference.
[4] Maddy Prespakis continues her excellent form. She is the Diesel Williams of the AFLW. She isn't fast, but her decision making is always top shelf. I cannot say that of a number of others. And her ability to win the ball out of a pack is second to none.
[5] Mimi Hill: I hope she is not too badly injured, as she was excellent today. How she hasn't got a rising star gig is ... impossible to fathom.

I'll write more when I can see the stats, but I can say that I am really happy with our getting goals from crumbs today. We haven't done that for ages. However, almost all of our goals today were from snaps instead of set shots. We really missed this aspect of our game. Last year, with Chloe Dalton and Brooke Walker, we excelled at running into goals. We need to do that, to break up our patterns. We are too predictable going forward too often!
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #38
Well done, gals.

Still a glimmer for finals actions... let's put in our best effort for the Dockers and turn that glimmer to a flame.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #39
How was that not incorrect disposal?

Umpire swallows the whistle and a goal to the cats result.

This remains the number one issue with the game and should be focused on rather than "stand".
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #40
I reckon Elise O’Dea has to be recruit of the year.  Her reading of the play is outstanding and she gets in good position whether she’s playing as a forward or defender.  She is not really quick but makes up for that with quick thinking, body strength and a good step and she uses the ball well.

I noticed that Charlotte Wilson was looking to handball first and her teammates were generally in position for the handball receive.  That might come unstuck against better opposition but it will have to do until she learns to kick over a jam tin; her task for the off-season.  She has the makings of an excellent defender if she can improve her kicking.

Sadly, I think that Mimi Hill has done her ACL.  Hopefully, my analysis of her knee’s movement is wrong and it’s nothing more than a strained medial ligament.  Either way, I think that her season will be over.  That’s a tragedy after such a brilliant start to her career.

Of course, we were up against mediocre opposition but I think it is the first game where we’ve had good contributions from our seasoned players and the youngsters.

Once again, the umpiring was perplexing at times  ::)  and probably helped to keep the Cats in the game.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball