Skip to main content
Topic: Magic fairy dust (Read 1439 times) previous topic - next topic

Magic fairy dust

So, what did Voss & Co sprinkle over the players at Q time ?
Let’s go BIG !

Re: Magic fairy dust

Reply #2
I heard Voss talking in a post game media grab about the belief that being able to hold / controlling GC in the 1st-Qtr gave the group, paraphrasing he said something like it wasn't pretty but it was heavy going high pressure manic contested footy in the 1st-Qtr and we never blinked, and he thought that gave the group great confidence.

Personally on watching the replay, I thought Pitto and TDK standing up to Witts set the tone, the rest of the group lifted and nobody was a passenger.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #3
 GC can't win away from home and are coached by a bloke who won't be there next season..don't think he had tell them much apart from kick straight and it's over.

Reply #4
GC can't win away from home and are coached by a bloke who won't be there next season..don't think he had tell them much apart from kick straight and it's over.

Gold Coast have had three wins away (one over Richmond) and three at home this season, including two wins over teams in the eight.  What happened in previous seasons is irrelevant.

Gold Coast are ranked third for clearances (we're 10th), third for stoppage clearances (we're 8th), and 12th for centre clerarances (we're 17th).  Rowell is ranked third for clearances, Anderson is 8th, Miller is 11th and Witts is 38th.  Our best are Cripps (12th) and Cerra (53rd).  Despite that, we won the clearances 45 to 33, and set the world record for scores from centre clearances.  I don't think Miller's absence had much to do with our dominance.  Double teaming Witts with Pitto and De Koning was an important factor but so was the manic desire to move the ball forward.

We now have a backline with run and defensive grunt, although I'm not sure that we can use Kemp against the power forwards (his games last season were all against much bigger opponents).  Martin adds another dimension to our forward line and, at the very least, draws a decent defender as well as improving our defensive pressure inside our forward 50.  Cuningham and Fogarty give us more effort and impact than the blokes who were playing earlier in the season.  In other words, Vossy is now fielding a team that is more capable of executing his gameplan.

While the first quarter was a bit of an arm wrestle, it was inevitable that we'd break the shackles and get reward for effort.  That in itself became more of a factor as the game went on.

Of course, that all means nothing if we can't string more wins together against top eight teams in the second half of the season.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #5
Even so, Witts is a very good footballer, and I doubt he'd just roll over and deliver a result to Pitto and TDK. Witts is/was basically the shoe in for the AA Ruck spot.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #6

[/quote]
Gold Coast have had three wins away (one over Richmond) and three at home this season, including two wins over teams in the eight.  What happened in previous seasons is irrelevant.

Gold Coast are ranked third for clearances (we're 10th), third for stoppage clearances (we're 8th), and 12th for centre clerarances (we're 17th).  Rowell is ranked third for clearances, Anderson is 8th, Miller is 11th and Witts is 38th.  Our best are Cripps (12th) and Cerra (53rd).  Despite that, we won the clearances 45 to 33, and set the world record for scores from centre clearances.  I don't think Miller's absence had much to do with our dominance.  Double teaming Witts with Pitto and De Koning was an important factor but so was the manic desire to move the ball forward.

We now have a backline with run and defensive grunt, although I'm not sure that we can use Kemp against the power forwards (his games last season were all against much bigger opponents).  Martin adds another dimension to our forward line and, at the very least, draws a decent defender as well as improving our defensive pressure inside our forward 50.  Cuningham and Fogarty give us more effort and impact than the blokes who were playing earlier in the season.  In other words, Vossy is now fielding a team that is more capable of executing his gameplan.

While the first quarter was a bit of an arm wrestle, it was inevitable that we'd break the shackles and get reward for effort.  That in itself became more of a factor as the game went on.

Of course, that all means nothing if we can't string more wins together against top eight teams in the second half of the season.

Richmond are not the Richmond of old, and one of those wins was in the NT...kinda of like home given it was a sweltering day.
They have an away record of 18% wins only...that's the facts, if you want more proof of how crap they are away from home we actually started favourites and that's even with our horrible form.
Martin has had 16 possessions in two weeks and kicked one goal.....going to take a bit more than that to convince me he has any value and the danger is a nitwit like Austin will give him another contract same goes for Boyd who everyone suddenly has fallen in love with on the basis of what I don't know.
I seem to remember everyone said we were premiership bound after beating the WAFL eagles and we know what happened there after. A bit of perspective and jury still out on both players, coach and game plan.
We should beat the baby Hawks without Sicily but I'm more interested in how we shape up vs Freo and Port after that and how some of these new champs in Martin, Boyd, Fogarty, Kemp, Dow etc hold up..

Reply #7
I started to fall in love with Boyd last year. :D
But my favourite player of the 21st century is still Simon Wiggins, so I have a type. :D
I like a battler. ;)

Reply #8
But my favourite player of the 21st century is still Simon Wiggins, so I have a type. :D
I like a battler. ;)

Funny isn't it... same here. I was a real fan of Matty Hogg - did some amazing jobs on dangerous smalls in his career after joining us from the Dishlickers.
Started with Gary Crane.
Now? Like you, Boyd but also Cincotta.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #9
I like a battler. ;)
I have the Henry the 8th approach, they either produce or they get the blade...
Hard not like Wiggins though ....something simple and Mr Bean like about him that even when he stuffed up you could forgive him....😉

Reply #10
I have the Henry the 8th approach, they either produce or they get the blade...
Hard not like Wiggins though ....something simple and Mr Bean like about him that even when he stuffed up you could forgive him....😉

I think they're good to have around the club.
I also reckon they get a bit of respect from the more talented.
They're never going to be game changers but they'll give you absolutely all they've got.

Reply #11
Eb, theoretically what’s not to like about your man Boyd ?
He has a defensive mindset as shown by his two efforts on the weekend, one out against kpf, he is willing to run hard and kicks ok.
My major knock on him is that he has been overzealous in the past and given away frees for crude tackles.
In a team which some 😎 decry the lack of a defensive small backman he’s worthy of a game, not 100% he’ll make it but he’s got some good tools.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #12
Eb, theoretically what’s not to like about your man Boyd ?
He has a defensive mindset as shown by his two efforts on the weekend, one out against kpf, he is willing to run hard and kicks ok.
My major knock on him is that he has been overzealous in the past and given away frees for crude tackles.
In a team which some 😎 decry the lack of a defensive small backman he’s worthy of a game, not 100% he’ll make it but he’s got some good tools.
NB...Turnover Merchant.....as you say gives away dumb free kicks and I think his kicking skills are over-rated...ok he had a couple of long forward entries that were good but I thought it was a low pressure game and I want to see him be effective vs better opposition.
Austin plucked him from the VFL Dogs team as some poor mans Caleb Daniel imo but I havent really seen anything that convinces me he is senior standard. I couldnt work out who he was on at times vs GC but I did see him spend some time on Ainsworth who was one of GC's best players so I found it strange for a bloke who got 11 possies only himself received so much love for his game. The baby Hawks have a couple of decent small forwards in Bruest and Moore so I'll be interested to see how he goes especially if the coaching staff trust him with Bruest.

Reply #13
Bruest will be a big ask for sure but I’m happy to see him get an extended run at it, for the first time.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #14
Opinions on Boyd may have been influenced to some extent by some glaring turnovers. In fact he’s probably one of our best users with the ball…

v Collingwood- Disposals 11- Efficiency- 90.9%
v Sydney -Disposals 14- Efficiency-85.7%
v Melbourne- Disposals 9 – Efficiency-44.4%
v Essendon- Disposals 14- Efficiency -85.7&
v Gold Coast -Disposals 11- Efficiency-81.8%

Take out the Melbourne game…
That’s probably as good as any of our side.

12 games in the senior side-Reduce the errors, raise the disposals, maintain the efficiency and he could be a more than useful player.