Skip to main content
Topic: Left Hand Turn (Read 10145 times) previous topic - next topic

Left Hand Turn

Can someone explain what drivers are supposed to do differently when a fast moving cyclist or motorcyclist rides into the passenger side of a slow moving left turning vehicle?

When has it ever been declared safe to overtake a left turning vehicle on the left side?

I post this based on rumors Hird just got injured colliding with a car in what is rumored to be similar circumstances. Social media reports it as "Hird hit by Car", but the early reports suggest "Hird rode into the side of a left turning vehicle!"

Really, my motivation for the post comes after a few weeks were I have witnessed multiple incidents relating to this sort of behavior. I was even abused by a set of cyclists who tried to ride around the left side of my car while I was waiting for children to clear a crossing. The cyclists, who seemed to be in a race, tried to go around my car as I began to roll forward rather than wait for me to complete the turn, a turn I had already partly completed from a dedicated left turn lane! In the process they actually rode across the pedestrian crossing that seconds earlier had a dozen or so primary school kids walking across it! Some of the kids had bikes and had dismounted to walk their bikes across the road!

Further twice this week in heavy traffic I have seen motorcyclists fly across the freeway exit ramp while riding effectively in the emergency lane. One did so narrowly missing an exiting car, then swerved to get back onto the freeway before the dividing barriers made it impossible, and to top things off kicked out at a slow moving car in the left hand freeway lane for not giving them enough room to merge despite the bike traveling faster than the car! Of course the rider pissed off up the road lane splitting between the very left and emergency lanes.

They are wankers, not just typical wankers, but massive wankers!

btw., The official rules for cyclists.

While cycling, you can overtake vehicles on the left but must give way to any vehicle in front of you that is turning left and signalling to turn left.
The Force Awakens!

Re: Left Hand Turn

Reply #1
Unfortunately, many cyclists - and many motorists for that matter - don't know the road rules and don't particularly care!

I did know the one about cyclists giving way to left turning vehicles.  That applies whether or not there is a bike lane.

It's a long time since I rode a motorbike but I believe that it is OK to lane split and to overtake a vehicle in the right lane on the right.  It's not OK to pass on the left of a vehicle in the left lane.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #2
Cyclists are the worst.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #3
Unfortunately, many cyclists - and many motorists for that matter - don't know the road rules and don't particularly care!

I did know the one about cyclists giving way to left turning vehicles.  That applies whether or not there is a bike lane.

It's a long time since I rode a motorbike but I believe that it is OK to lane split and to overtake a vehicle in the right lane on the right.  It's not OK to pass on the left of a vehicle in the left lane.
DJC youre right, very very few cyclists know that law, I am a cyclist and I know that rule very well and always give way to turning vehicles. Its the smart thing to do because they cant see you so why put yourself at risk. When I ride on the road, be it a bike lane or otherwise, I always ride defensively as I know I will always come off second best vs a car, truck, bus, tram etc.
The other thing that drive me nuts is the number of cyclist with headphones and music blaring. You need every one of your senses functional when riding, your ears are like the eye in the back of your head. I can sense (through hearing) vehicles getting close so I can take action like jumping up onto the footpath/nature strip to get out of the way. You cant do this with headphones on. I see many dumbass cyclists riding to or from work likes its a stage of the TDF. They also pick the most dangerous roads to ride when there are much safer alternatives. Now I am not saying for a minute that I will never get hit, but by Christ I am not gonna make it easy for someone.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #4
So many riders don't seem to care if they get hit or not - just as long as they think they're right.

Strange mentality when it's you and some Lycra versus a car / truck which is usually made out of metal.

Reply #5
Road rules are flouted widely every day in Melbourne - I don't know whether people just don't know them or just don't care. Many cyclists are very aggressive and seem to take delight in causing problems for others. I am often "buzzed" by cyclists coming up quickly from behind without warning when walking in local parks on shared tracks. Also where I go for coffee in Were St., Montmorency, people insist on swinging their cars (mainly SUVs) across the double lines to jump into an angle park on the other side of the road. Whilst being illegal, it is often done quiet aggressively in competition with cars on the "right" side of the road for a parking spot. Apparently the cops dish out fines quite regularly but it's still happening.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #6

With regards to the lane splitting, from memory (after working in insurance claims) lane splitting is only permitted in stationary traffic, although that might have changed.

Reply #7
With regards to the lane splitting, from memory (after working in insurance claims) lane splitting is only permitted in stationary traffic, although that might have changed.

I think it's stationary or slow moving traffic NM ...
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #8
For me it's not the breaking of the rule, it's the stupidity and aggressiveness of doing so. Like Jeza says, they can't win against tons of metal, they may as well ride straight at the power pole and complain if it doesn't move out of the way.

Not only are these acts aggressive, they are provocative. When those riders went around my car one of them was wearing a sportscam on his helmet. I bet he doesn't Youtube that effort! So I suspect they are being deliberately provocative to get a reaction, it's the only explanation even if you accept they are morons!

On this issue of provocation, another thing an associate has warned me to look out for is a new insurance scam. If you are turning right at an light controlled intersection be wary if you roll forward and a car which seems to heading across the intersection doesn't move into the intersection. They'll have no indicators on so you think they want to go straight and they look like they are stalled or not moving for whatever reason. Because they seem to be hanging back from the intersection the temptation is to complete your turn, if you do they suddenly accelerate turning left and drive into the side of your car. Apparently it's some sort of insurance scam trying to extort money from people who " have failed to give way!" Once they get your details you end up getting bogus legal letters, insurance company calls, all which appear legitimate.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #9
Long story short, we are simply seeing the moral of the story of catering to the lowest common denominator, in existing roads.

Frustrated drivers act recklessly (wrongly) around cyclists, because the cyclist is only ever going to move faster than them in certain situations, and are seen to hold up a long line of cars.

Cyclists fear that drivers don't take enough care (both rightly and wrongly as they tar everyone with the same brush).

Ultimately, people make errors.  Both groups are simply guilty of being impatient and careless at times, and not necessarily deliberately, and its a triumph of stupidity that decided that putting these two groups on the same road was a good idea.

Create dedicated bike paths, and take them off roads with vehicles and you have the solution that will alleviate the majority of these issues.

The problem is, its far too expensive to do this.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #10
Create dedicated bike paths, and take them off roads with vehicles and you have the solution that will alleviate the majority of these issues.

Even where dedicated bike lanes exist, by law the riders must still give way to left turning traffic.

There is no winner in this behavior pattern.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #11
No system will work because cyclists are just lycra wearing ar$holes.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #12
Even where dedicated bike lanes exist, by law the riders must still give way to left turning traffic.

There is no winner in this behavior pattern.

Thats fine, but people will always make mistakes.

Not all bike paths are on roads or intersect with them, but I still see cyclists opting to use the road, rather than the bicycle lane.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #13
Thats fine, but people will always make mistakes.

Not all bike paths are on roads or intersect with them, but I still see cyclists opting to use the road, rather than the bicycle lane.

I realise that, I have friends who ride and they tell me riding in the bike lanes is poison due to punctures. They all want to ride out on the road. But around my area the street sweepers come by at least twice a week in the treadly season for this very reason. I pay through my rates to keep the streets clean for cyclists who visit the suburb for a few minutes once or twice a week, yet they still ride on the road sometimes two or three abreast blocking the left hand lane leaving the bike lane vacant.
The Force Awakens!