Skip to main content
Topic: Rd. 5 - Pre Game Thread - Blues V Dockers (Read 47154 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd. 5 - Pre Game Thread - Blues V Dockers

Reply #15
Out: Phillips, Buckley.

In: Jones, Armfield.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #16
Our main need will be for some more goal kicking ability so Jones, Jaksch and Everitt must be in with a show, although I would rather see Jones perform consistently in the VFL for a couple of more weeks before he get's another chance in the seniors.

We also need  more F50 pressure so maybe Armfield and Clem are in with a show - I wouldn't be surprised to see Murph "rested" after his knock.

Don't think Phillips will be dropped - he went OK IMO. Buckley looks likely to be gone though.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #17
To drop Phillips over Kreuzer would just be wrong IMO, Kreuzer is literally hopeless and seems to have lost his ability to play, definitely a stint in the twos for him.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #18
Our main need will be for some more goal kicking ability so Jones, Jaksch and Everitt must be in with a show, although I would rather see Jones perform consistently in the VFL for a couple of more weeks before he get's another chance in the seniors.

We also need  more F50 pressure so maybe Armfield and Clem are in with a show - I wouldn't be surprised to see Murph "rested" after his knock.

Don't think Phillips will be dropped - he went OK IMO. Buckley looks likely to be gone though.

The tall in the gun will be Casboult, these sort of stats don't cut it;

Code: [Select]
Player Name    K	H	D	M	HO	T	FF	FA	G	B	SC	Rat
Levi Casboult 5 3 8 6 0 4 0 2 0 0 0 49

I think we will need to go for pace as the best option to carve up Freo.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #19
The tall in the gun will be Casboult, these sort of stats don't cut it;

Code: [Select]
Player Name    K	H	D	M	HO	T	FF	FA	G	B	SC	Rat
Levi Casboult 5 3 8 6 0 4 0 2 0 0 0 49

I think we will need to go for pace as the best option to carve up Freo.

I'd play Jones and Jaksch and use Casboult as the second ruckman around the ground....agree Freo on a dry track will probably require some more pace but I think we need to kick goals to win and I'd be using an extra tall down forward rather than just going with Casboult alone..

Reply #20
Jones has earnt a call up. No question.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #21
Anyone from WA (south west) going to the game? PM me please :))
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #23
To drop Phillips over Kreuzer would just be wrong IMO, Kreuzer is literally hopeless and seems to have lost his ability to play, definitely a stint in the twos for him.

Phillips has shown more in 4 weeks than Kruezer has shown in 2 years.  

Agree.  Drop him and play Meat as the second ruckman.

Reply #24
I'd play Jones and Jaksch and use Casboult as the second ruckman around the ground....agree Freo on a dry track will probably require some more pace but I think we need to kick goals to win and I'd be using an extra tall down forward rather than just going with Casboult alone..

Yes, I think that'd be a better result for us. Then the pressure off Casboult to both be the key forward, taking the brunt of the defence, and to kick at goal. Our best results come when Kreuzer and Casboult ruck together. Actually, the way our rucks are going Wood and Casboult, who went pretty well together last year, might be thee best combination on form.

I think a tall defender might come in for Rowe too. White was really good on Friday or maybe Jammo, whose not going great but still a better option than Rowe.

Reply #25
I think a tall defender might come in for Rowe too. White was really good on Friday or maybe Jammo, whose not going great but still a better option than Rowe.
Well the dockers forward line isn't stacked with dangerous talls so our back line choices this week could be interesting. If they go in with Pav, Mayne, Taberner, Walters and the flea as their main forward structure again then both Rowe and Jamison could line up in the magoos because White, Plowman, Weitering, lucky Dylan Buckley and Simpson are probably the best respective match ups. Unless the Dockers have a surprise tall ruck/forward to spring on us then Rowe won't be needed.

I think this match will be won or lost in the midfield as they can also match up our forwards pretty well even if we bring in Jones for extra height. Unfortunately their midfield is likely to run over us on the larger ground unless our work rate and disposal improve significantly in the next 6 days. Reckon at least 1 of Boekhorst, Armfield, Tutt or Cunningham need to come into the line up to add some more speed across the ground.

Reply #26
I never thought this would happen but Jones has to be a chance to come in for the Dockers game.

Fraser was full of praise:

Stats: 14 disposals, 9 marks (5 contested, 4 inside 50), 3 inside 50s, 5 goals
From the coach: Another strong performance from Liam: he provided a real focal point forward of ball. He continues to provide repeat efforts and is showing good leadership.

And Bolton says he's a chance:

Bolton said the Blues would consider recalling tall forward Liam Jones for the Freo clash. The former Bulldog sits on top of the VFL goalkicking ladder with eight goals after two rounds, including five last weekend against Geelong.

Just going on Fraser's assessments, White would be pressing for selection and, while he's probably due for another run in the NBs, Armfield's "effort and energy . . . ability to apply pressure . . . and his leadership and spirit . . ." wouldn't go astray.

Everitt is apparently over his calf injury and is in selection contention too (I imagine much to the dismay of some supporters).

It will be interesting if Jones does come in.  I can't really see any of Casboult, Phillips and Kreuzer going out and Charlie Curnow has done enough to keep his spot.  Perhaps he'll be 'rested'.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #27
There will be a few raised eyebrows this week when Murphy plays. His head cut was so bad that it needed a rather large number of staples. They are still there. They are not certain (but are highly probable) to be removed before this weekend's game. Murphy will play for at least 1 week in a helmet. Maybe 3 or 4, depending on how his head heals.

Over the years there have been questions about Murphy in a lot of regards. It looks like his wanting to be out there for us is no longer going to be one of them.

How effective he will be, now that is an interesting question! He wasn't all that effective last week before he got injured. Personally I would take things more conservatively, but I found that few if any of the AFL medicos share my opinion. I prefer a fit player, clubs appear to prefer half fit stars.
I guess just because I take a long time to get right, I assume others will. And I always underestimate the ability of some people to play with what I consider serious injury. Why Hodge played last week, I will probably not understand. But until some club gets bitten, .....

There haven't been that many whispers about who may come in this week. The club sent out an injury update yesterday that had a number of guys close. Silvagni was said to be almost certain to play, but he will be in the VFL. Maybe Walker will be fit? Maybe....

I would start Walker in the VFL anyway. He generally doesn't d a lot first week back. Charlie Curnow is good enough for the moment.

I find myself in a position I never expected: I think Liam Jones may be called up this week.
I gave up on the guy, I admit it freely. Too often last year I was disappointed with poor showings in the VFL, let alone the seniors. However, his recent form is enough that he evens looks like a player. I may find it difficult to believe, but....
I'd be tempted to leave him in the VFL for another week, just t see if these few weeks have been true flukes. But with our need for goals, he just might get up.

The other question I have over our team when it is named tomorrow is the ruck spot. Now Freo are missing a guy whom we have never been able to control reasonably in Sandilands. However, our own ruck stocks have looked less than impressive. Phillips has had his moments, and looks to be viable option for the future, but he doesn't take a heap of marks around the ground. Kreuzer, on the other hand, has been getting a reasonable number of taps, but not doing much with them; he hasn't been able to take a contested mark anywhere on the ground and he hasn't been worth much as a forward. (That said, in the last quarter against the Dogs he picked up and actually took 3 marks in the forward line. He lead well and looked like he knew what he was doing, something that NONE of our 'forwards' have been able to replicate so far. However, he still had the sit for a mark 20 m out from goal and couldn't complete what should have been a regulation mark. A few years back he would have swallowed it. And he could not kick a goal.)
I am not sure which way the Match Committee is going to jump with this one.

Buckley is another question. After a few ordinary weeks he started brilliantly last week, getting half a dozen possessions and a goal early and making the Dog defenders look slow. Then he dropped off the end of the planet and was barely seen again.
Had he been able to keep playing like he did early, he would not be under pressure to hold his spot. But he is definitely someone who needs to start producing more.

Nick Graham is another who is questionable, although he has had only 1 really poor game (against the Dogs). However, he has been able to reproduce the for he had last year and during most of the pre-season.
To me he appears to be playing a slightly different role and not getting as many clearances. I think he plays his best when he is getting clearances.

But the other question is, who do we bring in?
Clem Smith is doing some really impressive negative work. In fact, his chasing, tackling and smothering produced goals last week in the VFL. But he barely got the ball himself.
Armfield probably needs another game to get his match fitness up. He also did some nice things, but didn't get huge numbers either. His leadership on the forward line, on the other hand, was invaluable in the VFL.
Cunningham and DVR are possibles, but both had their least effective games for the year last weekend (and we still won!): they need to get the possessions up again to get a promotion, especially against the mature bodies of Freo.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #28
There will be a few raised eyebrows this week when Murphy plays. His head cut was so bad that it needed a rather large number of staples. They are still there. They are not certain (but are highly probable) to be removed before this weekend's game. Murphy will play for at least 1 week in a helmet. Maybe 3 or 4, depending on how his head heals.

Over the years there have been questions about Murphy in a lot of regards. It looks like his wanting to be out there for us is no longer going to be one of them.

How effective he will be, now that is an interesting question! He wasn't all that effective last week before he got injured. Personally I would take things more conservatively, but I found that few if any of the AFL medicos share my opinion. I prefer a fit player, clubs appear to prefer half fit stars.
I guess just because I take a long time to get right, I assume others will. And I always underestimate the ability of some people to play with what I consider serious injury. Why Hodge played last week, I will probably not understand. But until some club gets bitten, .....

There haven't been that many whispers about who may come in this week. The club sent out an injury update yesterday that had a number of guys close. Silvagni was said to be almost certain to play, but he will be in the VFL. Maybe Walker will be fit? Maybe....

I would start Walker in the VFL anyway. He generally doesn't d a lot first week back. Charlie Curnow is good enough for the moment.

I find myself in a position I never expected: I think Liam Jones may be called up this week.
I gave up on the guy, I admit it freely. Too often last year I was disappointed with poor showings in the VFL, let alone the seniors. However, his recent form is enough that he evens looks like a player. I may find it difficult to believe, but....
I'd be tempted to leave him in the VFL for another week, just t see if these few weeks have been true flukes. But with our need for goals, he just might get up.

The other question I have over our team when it is named tomorrow is the ruck spot. Now Freo are missing a guy whom we have never been able to control reasonably in Sandilands. However, our own ruck stocks have looked less than impressive. Phillips has had his moments, and looks to be viable option for the future, but he doesn't take a heap of marks around the ground. Kreuzer, on the other hand, has been getting a reasonable number of taps, but not doing much with them; he hasn't been able to take a contested mark anywhere on the ground and he hasn't been worth much as a forward. (That said, in the last quarter against the Dogs he picked up and actually took 3 marks in the forward line. He lead well and looked like he knew what he was doing, something that NONE of our 'forwards' have been able to replicate so far. However, he still had the sit for a mark 20 m out from goal and couldn't complete what should have been a regulation mark. A few years back he would have swallowed it. And he could not kick a goal.)
I am not sure which way the Match Committee is going to jump with this one.

Buckley is another question. After a few ordinary weeks he started brilliantly last week, getting half a dozen possessions and a goal early and making the Dog defenders look slow. Then he dropped off the end of the planet and was barely seen again.
Had he been able to keep playing like he did early, he would not be under pressure to hold his spot. But he is definitely someone who needs to start producing more.

Nick Graham is another who is questionable, although he has had only 1 really poor game (against the Dogs). However, he has been able to reproduce the for he had last year and during most of the pre-season.
To me he appears to be playing a slightly different role and not getting as many clearances. I think he plays his best when he is getting clearances.

But the other question is, who do we bring in?
Clem Smith is doing some really impressive negative work. In fact, his chasing, tackling and smothering produced goals last week in the VFL. But he barely got the ball himself.
Armfield probably needs another game to get his match fitness up. He also did some nice things, but didn't get huge numbers either. His leadership on the forward line, on the other hand, was invaluable in the VFL.
Cunningham and DVR are possibles, but both had their least effective games for the year last weekend (and we still won!): they need to get the possessions up again to get a promotion, especially against the mature bodies of Freo.

Everitt might come back in if fit seeing as we cant beg, borrow or steal a goal and he can kick straight regardless of his other shortcomings...

Reply #29
Jones has to play.  The bloke is beating the door down and we can't buy a goal. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson