Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2021 Rd 3: Carlton vs the Drug Cheats (Read 5380 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2021 Rd 3: Carlton vs the Drug Cheats

Reply #75
Its not really about priority right now.

Its about getting quality cheaply that may pay off.

Whatever KP or ruck we'd likely get in the midseason draft could take years to come on. Very few are capable of playing AFL level to any decent standard.....so what is the point of rookieing someone who can't play unless they are showing they are a cut above VFL level.

Crocker could perform at AFL level now, but IMO he'd get drafted next year off the back of his efforts this year. So why not get him cheap now. He could play now too.

If there was an 18/19yo tall kid who was lighting up the 2's, yes, they would fill a need in the long term, wouldn't give us squat now though. Could we get better at the end of season draft? Via trade? I think so.
Jack Hayes from Woodville West Torrens is a 194cm KP player who I would look at, can play a bit of 2nd ruck too and has been in excellent form in the SANFL. You have to have a back up plan if Crocker is picked up by another club , after the success of Marlon Pickett clubs wont treat the mid season rookie draft as a joke any more and see it as a serious way to get talent in and Crocker is going to stand out like Dogs nuts to struggling clubs.

Reply #76
Jack Hayes from Woodville West Torrens is a 194cm KP player who I would look at, can play a bit of 2nd ruck too and has been in excellent form in the SANFL. You have to have a back up plan if Crocker is picked up by another club , after the success of Marlon Pickett clubs wont treat the mid season rookie draft as a joke any more and see it as a serious way to get talent in and Crocker is going to stand out like Dogs nuts to struggling clubs.

194cm is not a backup ruck at AFL level.
I remember in the superdraft where we took Gibbs, some were saying Sellar was a potential pick 1 option. He went at 17 from memory....and never made it because he was essentially an undersized ruck. Positionless in the AFL.

Be wary of 'talls' playing well in the SANFL.

Reply #77

194cm is not a backup ruck at AFL level.
I remember in the superdraft where we took Gibbs, some were saying Sellar was a potential pick 1 option. He went at 17 from memory....and never made it because he was essentially an undersized ruck. Positionless in the AFL.

Be wary of 'talls' playing well in the SANFL.
Hayes is a KP player by trade who falls into that 194cm Oscar Allen (WC) type option as a ruckman.....just relief when you need it, I'm not trying to sell him as a genuine 2nd string ruck....but someone who can play CHB, FF, CHB and do a job where needed.