Skip to main content
Topic: Stosur vs Sheik 2015 (Read 34826 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Stosur vs Sheik 2015

Reply #45
I put it as a Keyboard Warrior v Dual Grand Slam Finalist and former US Open champion. There's only one winner there.

She has issues with pressure for sure and at 31 is probably at the wrong end of her career but. hey, who can knock her record.

When a keyboard warrior can achieve better than that then pipe up and bag them. Criticise where it's warranted but to call someone of that ilk a dud as they once did, well get out and do better or shut up.

Reply #46
I'll never understand why people derive such pleasure from criticising Stosur. She reached the pinnacle of women's tennis in winning a Grand Slam which correct me if I'm wrong was vs Serena Williams on the anniversary of 9/11 in her home court.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #47
I'll never understand why people derive such pleasure from criticising Stosur. She reached the pinnacle of women's tennis in winning a Grand Slam which correct me if I'm wrong was vs Serena Williams on the anniversary of 9/11 in her home court.

I have to agree; tall poppy syndrome perhaps?

She is a frustrating player to follow though  ::)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #48
Turn it up fellas, she's choked in the first round at her home Open now 4 times. She, like any other sport person, is open to criticism, despite past achievements, when you put up performances like that.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #49
I put it as a Keyboard Warrior v Dual Grand Slam Finalist and former US Open champion. There's only one winner there.

She has issues with pressure for sure and at 31 is probably at the wrong end of her career but. hey, who can knock her record.

When a keyboard warrior can achieve better than that then pipe up and bag them. Criticise where it's warranted but to call someone of that ilk a dud as they once did, well get out and do better or shut up.

She played a woman ranked 112 in the world who then broke down and twice needed medical treatment to her right leg and she couldn't knock her off.

Seriously, if you are ranked in the 20's, this should of been a mere formality !!!!

Sam Stosur has lost in the first round and is out of the Australian Open. Again. This should be a news story but is not.

Stosur losing in the first round is no longer a surprise for, disappointingly, she has too often been here before. Stosur lost to Pliskova of the Czech Republic in straight sets at Rod Laver Arena on Monday night and even more disappointingly it was not even to the good Pliskova sister.

Australia's top woman lost 6-4, 7-6 to the 114th ranked player in the world, qualifier Kristyna and not her twin sister Karolina, ranked 12 in the world

"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #50
Turn it up fellas, she's choked in the first round at her home Open now 4 times. She, like any other sport person, is open to criticism, despite past achievements, when you put up performances like that.

Not the criticism, it's the enjoyment that they get from it.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #51
Not the criticism, it's the enjoyment that they get from it.
Dunno that its enjoyment but it might be. I get angry (more for her) watching her dish that up at the oz open every year, she's is bloody better than that. With all the talk of match fixing in tennis, it makes you wonder.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #52
I get the feeling that Stosur is an athlete who happens to play tennis.  She loses far too many matches that she shouldn't for a tennis player who is a great athlete as well.  There are too many times where she doesn't look comfortable on the court.

I think that she is great in fronting up to the media and being reasonably honest after some of the horrible losses, unlike spoiled brats eg Venus

Reply #53
Dunno that its enjoyment but it might be. I get angry (more for her) watching her dish that up at the oz open every year, she's is bloody better than that. With all the talk of match fixing in tennis, it makes you wonder.

Give it a rest mate, she is not a match fixer and Sheik and Age love to come on here and gloat every time she loses.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #54
I get the feeling that Stosur is an athlete who happens to play tennis.  She loses far too many matches that she shouldn't for a tennis player who is a great athlete as well.  There are too many times where she doesn't look comfortable on the court.

I think that she is great in fronting up to the media and being reasonably honest after some of the horrible losses, unlike spoiled brats eg Venus

i think she has been exceedingly badly coached for a long time now.....ruined her.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #55
Stosur's issues are a matter of focus.

Not coaching, not ability.

She gets nervous and gets the yips, her composure leaves her and she makes errors.

I think she suffers from the condition of being human particularly when you see her talk to the media because she is a level headed type who doesnt overate her ability.  Some of these types suffer from a lack of self confidence, and in a sport like Tennis, you need that arrogance to really get on with it.

Its probably why she chokes at home so frequently.  The occasion gets the better of her, and its the sort of thing that becomes really habitual.  Drop your bundle when the pressure is on.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #56
If she chokes here frequently - maybe it's not "focus"...??
"...that's the thing about opinion - you don't have to know anything to have one..."  Andre Agassi commenting on Pat Cash 2004
"...the less you know - the more you believe..." - Bono 2006

Reply #57
She's no longer a top player so I wouldn't call it choking anymore.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!