Skip to main content
Topic: Stosur vs Sheik 2015 (Read 34843 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Stosur vs Sheik 2015

Reply #15
Gone!!
Along with Lleyton. Proverbial time wasters.

I'll support Aussie players when they have the skills to compete.

Until such time I shall remain a staunch fan of Sharapova and Federer. The latter is the consummate professional who Kyrigios could learn so much from.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #16
Wow a few harsh comments in here. Lleyton is a bit of a nob I agree but that's what happens when you travel with your parents for fifteen years. But to say he's not a competitor? Most players have thrown in the towel by this stage of their careers. It's his competitiveness that has kept him going.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #17
Koko was awesome last night.  Sam didn't do much wrong but she simply couldn't match Koko's power.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #18
Koko was awesome last night.  Sam didn't do much wrong but she simply couldn't match Koko's power.

Koko was very good but I thought SS dropped her bundle when she realized she couldnt out muscle her opponent and
didnt seem to have another plan...
Think she needs a coach who can add a bit more nous to her game to go with the power...

Reply #19
Wow a few harsh comments in here. Lleyton is a bit of a nob I agree but that's what happens when you travel with your parents for fifteen years. But to say he's not a competitor? Most players have thrown in the towel by this stage of their careers. It's his competitiveness that has kept him going.

Agree Lleyton is a bit of a knob but agree he is very competitive given he is very undersized compared with most
modern day players and relies on running every shot down and that gets harder as you get older.

Reply #20

What exactly did she do right?

The double fault to give CV the break in the first - deplorable.......whomever coaches the woman ain't doing much of a job imo.

Stosur never has a plan B.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #21

Agree Lleyton is a bit of a knob but agree he is very competitive given he is very undersized compared with most
modern day players and relies on running every shot down and that gets harder as you get older.

I like Lleyton but he should've given up 4 years ago. It was painful watching him back then, now it's unbearable. Yes he's a competitor, but his serve is weak, his ground strokes have no penetration, and he has no tricks or particularly great shot he can pull out when the heat is on. His pace isn't what it used to be, and whilst he's still a good returner of serve, his returns have no guts. And talking himself up is tedious. He seems to be aiming for "troubling the better players" as the best he can do.

Give it up Lleyton.

Reply #22
Maybe he just can't let go of the dream. Maybe he still makes decent coin off the circuit. Who knows?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #23
Maybe he just can't let go of the dream. Maybe he still makes decent coin off the circuit. Who knows?

Possibly all true Chris.

If you use the end of year ATP tennis rankings, the last year Hewitt finished in the top 20 was 2006. He's been kicking tyres for a while now. From 2010 onwards he's had end of year rankings of :
54 (2010)
186 (2011)
83 (2012)
60 (2013)
50 (2014)

And that, ladies and gents, says it all.

Reply #24
^^

Mate if he's coming 50th he's surely making a decent living? What would 50th earn in a year's takings?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #25
^^

Mate if he's coming 50th he's surely making a decent living? What would 50th earn in a year's takings?

Well lets say Kyrgios is outside the top 50 and may go top 40 by this tournament. He has earned $750,000 in his career of the third year as a pro if I am correct. If he lost in round 4 he would have earned his first million. $500,000 to a million per year is not being unrealistic if you can get through the first 3 rounds, as they are earning $250,000 by that point of each tournament. Then you have sponsors, advertisments, etc. Hewitt is on a huge wicket for certain. That is just an educated guess by what I have heard players getting as the exit a round. Most of the grand slams are reasonably similar.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #26
^^

Chris, I don't know what a 50th ranked male player would earn on the tour. As I stated earlier, he may well be eking out every last nickel before he packs it in. And so he should.

Personally, I find his rather precipitous decline as a force in men's tennis pretty disappointing.  If he wants to be a lifestyle player, then wish him the best of luck, play him on court 20 and be done with it. He hasn't troubled a decent player in ages, and he isn't really interesting to watch any more.

My 2 bob's worth.

Reply #27
So...since having his operations in 2011, Hewitt has increased his ranking each year since - what's not to like??!!
"...that's the thing about opinion - you don't have to know anything to have one..."  Andre Agassi commenting on Pat Cash 2004
"...the less you know - the more you believe..." - Bono 2006

Reply #28
So...since having his operations in 2011, Hewitt has increased his ranking each year since - what's not to like??!!

People are hung up on him being a knob 15 years ago...

imo he was a massive knob but he has matured

Reply #29

I never said I didn't like him.

Hewitt will be 34 in 1 month. Where exactly do you think his ranking, and indeed his tennis, is going to go ?

Maybe the issue isn't Hewitt himself. Given the fact that he pursues other things like commentating as well as playing the tour, maybe he's already accepted that he's no longer a threat, and as Chris says, is just earning a living. Maybe my issue is more with the Australian public and the Australian media, who seems to pump up his tyres this time every year, when will all know he doesn't have what it takes, and hasn't for a good while. Which isn't his fault.