Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 15: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 37676 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 15: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #135
I should add I think it's time for Harry Mc to be given an extended run in the 1s.....some blokes just produce when given the opportunity at the elite level.

I think he's miles away.

Given his current form if he's subjected to AFL type media and fan scrutiny you could set his career back years if not end it! What's our rush?

Personally, if we had ACoS fit last weekend we probably win, that tells me there is little need for drastic actions.

The kid Mckay can get a sh1te load of football, but at the moment he makes Casboult look efficient! Anyone who has watched him live can confirm he can kick over a barn, he just can't hit it!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #136
I think he's miles away.

Given his current form if he's subjected to AFL type media and fan scrutiny you could set his career back years if not end it! What's our rush?

Personally, if we had ACoS fit last weekend we probably win, that tells me there is little need for drastic actions.

The kid Mckay can get a sh1te load of football, but at the moment he makes Casboult look efficient! Anyone who has watched him live can confirm he can kick over a barn, he just can't hit it!

I think you're right LP.  I'd like to see Harry playing at AFL level ... when he's ready.  Sorting out his kicking for goal would be a good first step.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #137
We all 'feel like' we are heading in the right direction, and in many areas we are. But the cold hard facts when you look at the numbers vs last year tell you something a little different -  we are in an almost identical position to where we were. And our ability to score has not improved at all over the last 70 odd games - so the idea that it will somehow improve markedly over the next 8 weeks is very optimistic.

Given that many pundits predicted that we'd go backwards this season, matching last season's performance isn't all that bad; particularly when you consider the inexperienced lineup we've used in most games.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #138
I should add I think it's time for Harry Mc to be given an extended run in the 1s.....some blokes just produce when given the opportunity at the elite level.

And it takes a lot of the heat off Levi...

David Cuningham is one who seems to relish the big stage albeit he needs to find the pill more....

Zac Fisher is one who needs time back in the 2s.

Disagree on Fisher. His pressure is outstanding. A couple of times he ran past Kreuz or Caz after they marked out on the wings but they ignored him and didnt dish off a handball. The kid has got "it" and doesnt look as tired as some other newbies imo.
Too little and Way too late. Pull your fingers out boys!!

Reply #139
Given that many pundits predicted that we'd go backwards this season, matching last season's performance isn't all that bad; particularly when you consider the inexperienced lineup we've used in most games.

Numbers don't always tell the story either.

Our backline is much more dynamic than it was a couple of years ago when Matthew Watson was lumbering around there.

Jones, A Silvagni, Marchbank and Plowman are offensive defenders who can all play on talls and smalls.

Rowe (if he gets back) is still handy on the gorillas and can play forward.

Weitering can play both ends.

Docherty is our best HBF since Andrew McKay.

Simpson still provides great run.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #140

It's still early but we are already likely to equal last season give or take a game.

I heard Brereton on radio yesterday defending his pre-season predictions of our imminent demise by claiming Carlton and other clubs with young lists like CheatsFC will go backwards in the remaining rounds as young bodies crumble under season long pressure.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #141
Just watched the game again. I reckon there were only 3 blokes who didn't hold up their end of the bargain - Casboult, Cuningham and Sumner. Cuningham's ability to go missing/vanish is so frustrating, especially as when he asserts/inserts himself into the game/contest he's a ripper... what a tease. He may yet be Lucas MK III unless he can find consistency  ;) ;D

We are really beginning to see a team discipline/ethic developing very strongly (which was betrayed a couple of weeks ago but we bounced back impressively... all is forgiven  ;D :D) So, stage one is just about locked into place - powerful and effective defensive culture. Next, let's kick some goals. Before the season is out I would really like to see us put together a 4 quarter performance that sees us belt the shizen out of our opponents and win by 60+

Can't agree with the criticisms of ZF, he's a fkn ripper who gets from contest to contest like a ferret with its @rse on fire. His defensive pressure is elite and forces many opponents into error. Collecting the aggot and running from the contest / backing himself will come. Fulfilling his role beautifully.

Come on H, put in a good one this weekend and force yourself into the seniors.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #142
I finished watching the replay last night too.

I thought Murphy was very ordinary, compared to when he's 'on'. And don't quote me his stats.

Fisher? Tries hard granted, just not there yet imo.....just reckon he's better off gaining experience and possessions in the 2s...
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #143

We are really beginning to see a team discipline/ethic developing very strongly (which was betrayed a couple of weeks ago but we bounced back impressively... all is forgiven  ;D :D) So, stage one is just about locked into place - powerful and effective defensive culture. Next, let's kick some goals. Before the season is out I would really like to see us put together a 4 quarter performance that sees us belt the shizen out of our opponents and win by 60+

We all would, but unless something phenomenal changes, that won't happen.

Reply #144
I finished watching the replay last night too.

I thought Murphy was very ordinary, compared to when he's 'on'. And don't quote me his stats.

Fisher? Tries hard granted, just not there yet imo.....just reckon he's better off gaining experience and possessions in the 2s...

Agree on Murphy, his possessions are junk. 15 meter kicks backwards and side ways that hit the target may boost his supercoach points but they don't help the team.

Fisher brings pressure that no one else in the side does, we have to persist with him. Inside 50 pressure acts are crucial and Rioli and his buddies terrorized opposition defenders for years. Ever notice that we make Bachar Houli look like Andrew McLeod whenever we play the tigers? He's not that quick but we can't get near him.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #145
Agree.

First you must learn to walk, then you can learn to run.

Playing keepings off is a way to keep us in the game, and limit the oppositions chance to kick away.

I'm not down on it. I understand it. I'm glad we as supporters are mainly getting it as well.

It was just the first time this year that i felt frustrated by it, but what was good was that we were able to stem the flow on the ground without having to wait for quarter time. So that showed some real leadership IMO.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #146

I thought when ACoS was in the team this looked more likely than before. I think you need some mongrel in a team to properly stomp on an opponent. You know if you get 30 or 40 points up the opposition are going to get physical, and in ACoS' absence we have very few willing to take on that aspect of the game.

We are a little bit meek when we are in front, and we go into self-preservation cruise mode too easily. If we fought as hard when in front as we do when we get 20 or 30 points down well see a lot better results. We need to be a little bit greedy, but greedy as a team not greedy as in self-reserving individuals!

It's hard to see it happening, but it would be interesting to see Rowe and ACoS playing side-by-side leaving Jones to get up the field as a monster sized version of Docherty.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #147
Just watched the game again. I reckon there were only 3 blokes who didn't hold up their end of the bargain - Casboult, Cuningham and Sumner. Cuningham's ability to go missing/vanish is so frustrating, especially as when he asserts/inserts himself into the game/contest he's a ripper... what a tease. He may yet be Lucas MK III unless he can find consistency  ;) ;D

Can't agree with the criticisms of ZF, he's a fkn ripper who gets from contest to contest like a ferret with its @rse on fire. His defensive pressure is elite and forces many opponents into error. Collecting the aggot and running from the contest / backing himself will come. Fulfilling his role beautifully.

Come on H, put in a good one this weekend and force yourself into the seniors.

Problem I have is we let the Crouch boys get 30 possies each including 20 plus between them in the last quarter when the game was there to be won and we also let Laird and Smith get way too much of the ball....its no point our mids getting high numbers if your opposition are doing the same and their players use the ball better ..

Reply #148
I thought when ACoS was in the team this looked more likely than before. I think you need some mongrel in a team to properly stomp on an opponent. You know if you get 30 or 40 points up the opposition are going to get physical, and in ACoS' absence we have very few willing to take on that aspect of the game.

We are a little bit meek when we are in front, and we go into self-preservation cruise mode too easily. If we fought as hard when in front as we do when we get 20 or 30 points down well see a lot better results. We need to be a little bit greedy, but greedy as a team not greedy as in self-reserving individuals!

It's hard to see it happening, but it would be interesting to see Rowe and ACoS playing side-by-side leaving Jones to get up the field as a monster sized version of Docherty.

Agree re Alex S. The team looks less beatable and less fragile with him in the team - maybe it's just my perception.

Reply #149
At this point, Lamb appears far hungrier and hard at it than Sumner sadly. The latter i rated but injuries or whatever have left him well off the pace....

I thought Casboult went ok. Again he has no foil up forward.

Finals, then 4 in a row!