Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Open 2015 (Read 22514 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Open 2015

Reply #15
Wow so Nadal was 17/17 against Berdych Mantis??
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #16
Bloody Berdych.

He played like a champion and completely smashed Nadal. Nadal looked intimidated after the first few games of the first set and was returning the first serves 5m behind the baseline. I have never seen him spooked like that in the first set. It got worse in the second set. Once he moved up close to the baseline in the third set it evened up the match. It doesn't pay to have your opponent go 2-0 in the first two sets. Have to give Berdych a big high five for his game today. He said his new coach gave him a new game plan and if he executed it properly he could win this game. About time he went for something different. I guess loosing 17 times in a row to a player will do that to you. ;)

You make some good points Mantis.

Nadal looked very underdone to me. And despite his post match denials, I reckon he had some niggle or injury as well.

We'll see how Berdych goes in the next round.

Reply #17
Nadal's reign is over Paul I hate to say. He's the Daisy Thomas of the tennis circuit. :P
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #18
Nadal's reign is over Paul I hate to say. He's the Daisy Thomas of the tennis circuit. :P

I hope not Chris. but the combination of injuries, age and the quality of some of the younger guys on the tour has me fearing you might be right.

Reply #19
Nadal has clobbered his previous opponents in this tournament as though he is still number one, and with pure intimidation. He had no injuries today at all. He had an opponent flat smash forehand shots wide and deep with no top spin on the ball. The ball couldn't bounce up over waist height for him to return the ball, so he had to generate all the pace off his strokes to generate his own top spin, to produce ball speed. Sure he hasn't played much tennis since his appendix was removed with keyhole surgery. He hasn't shown any signs of this injury. He has attacked his previous matches as though he has missed no tennis.

He was out smarted and you could see he attacked his reactive tennis different because he could feel he was in a loosing position all game. Not the proactive approach he normally adopts. I have seen this from the best players in tennis for years now. They are not intimidated until, they get that opponent that works their game out once and for all. Just like Nadal did to Federer years ago. How long has it been since Federer has won a grand slam ?? Its not just Nadal that beats him either. Federer has aged and uses a game style of yesteryear. That weak one handed backhand. He is slower, weaker in the body, weaker in the mind, and uses an old game plan that has been worked over by many players, including Seppi.

Has this just happened to Nadal ?? Too early to say. I dare say he showed signs he can be defeated. He looked perfect before it all went wrong for him. He has to be 28 or 29 this year. Many injuries in his past. Uses complete power striking game style to win matches. Maybe the game is slowly evolving for the new youngsters coming through. We won't know now, but things may have taken a small change where one doesn't rule the scene over all the others. Djokovic is still the most complete player at the moment, but his day will come too one day. As for my favourite all time champ Federer. Hang up your shoes and let the young crew move in. Your days are way behind you. ;)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #20
Nadal made it clear in the pre tournament interviews that he was underdone and he wasn't expecting too much. He was clearly laboring in his 1st round match, required medical attention, and admitted after the match that he was lucky to win. In tonight's match, stats were shown throughout that indicated he was down on court coverage, shot speed, serve speed, up on unforced errors etc. He simply didn't / couldn't chase like he normally does, and his normal leg power and shot power just wasn't there.

Reply #21
Fair call with your stats. I watched every game he has played this tournament and watched him for years before. His serving speed for his first serves was as high as I have ever seen it. He normally uses a "slidder" or a "kicker" and doesn't opt for 200km/hr plus serves. Mainly as it keeps his first serve count low. His first serve percentage was high, and his first service speed was higher than in his last 6 or 7 matches he has played.

I agree he has claimed he is not favourite and that he has not been prepared for this grand slam as he would like it. I have however watched his in his practice sessions during the tournament and he has hit as hard as he ever has, and is covering the court as well as he ever has. Today however reality sunk in fast when he saw what Berdych brought to the game and he choked very early. Its the same as when he was dominated by Federer years ago. He goes into a state of trance and never looks like he is part of the game. Only fires up when he wins points. The same as he did in the last set today. He looked like a beast ready to kill when he won points and was pumping his fist like he was on fire. Then he would miss two points and go straight back into his shell.

No tennis player in his right mind receives a serve 5 to 6m behind the baseline unless they fear the opponents serve. He did and it is a clear indication he found his match today. His power strokes off the forehand were strong enough to beat Berdych.  Watch how flat the deep strokes came to him at the baseline. He couldn't generate enough pace on a shot that was flat and with minimal topspin to kick the ball high once it hits the court. A common reason many players hit the net returning a shot back at their opponent. A ball that doesn't have enough pace on it, or enough bounce to give you something to work with.

Similar to a dead pitch in cricket. He definitely isn't in 100% condition, no doubt. I however say Berdych has found an extra string to his bow. How to create a cricket dead pitch in a tennis court. Watch the replay and compare what you saw tonight on Nadal 6 years ago when the heat is turned on against him. Same slow reaction to cover a shot because he just gives up. Same low aggressive intention because there really is no point. Same no chase down on shots because I might not get them back. Same hit the ball on a first serve to smash the felt off the ball, to hit it into the net. Unforced errors beyond belief.

He was up and down like a yoyo, but when it looked like he had a sniff of a chance, he looked like he would kill this game today. Unfortunately he was on the back foot minutes later to look like he was finished.

We can argue this all the way to the end of the planet, but the best is to agree to not agree on all terms. My feeling is that he has seen the fact that he isn't the youngest, strongest, fastest, most powerful tennis player on the planet in ever match he plays. If he isn't prepared at the best ability he is vulnerable against a worthy opponent. One he could have troubles with, and today he had a very prepared and worthy opponent. Lets agree that Berdych is not my brother, friend or favourite player. He did what he needed to do, and did not play a terrible game of tennis. In fact, his game today could have beaten any player left in this tournament. If he can get his first serves in at a higher percentage. I thought he tried too hard to smash his first serves in. His games give him a higher stat in aces than he showed today, and his service game wins him more often than not.

We should go to the tennis one day and exchange opinions. I would really enjoy that and value your post. ;)

Nadal isn't out for a ten count forever, but he showed signs I saw from him many years ago of a challenge that gets too hard when the heat is on. Just like when Djokovic complained about sore eyes and stomach pains for 3 years in tough games about 5 years ago. Maybe that is why Federer is different. He never has less effort to win a game. He never looks like he is giving up. He is fading away, but is in belief he will still win a game. Call it false hope, or being super optimistic. Who can tell.

Djokovic, Federer and Nadal are so far above the others in terms of what they have done in the past, that it isn't funny. Is there a change in momentum coming through soon, is the real question. Don't fail to acknowledge that Nadal was beaten  by a player that had his best day in tennis ever, and that he played a high enough standard to beat any player in the world.

One lost by playing at his worst in the last few years, while the other won by playing the best tennis I have seen him play for years. The result equals the result watched by millions. :o

Reply #22
born june 3, 1986.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #23
Nadal was underdone.

He was labouring for most of last week.

He might have been "up" for it up until the Berdych match, but he wasnt in good nick, and from what I saw the points were finishing too quickly for him to play his regular style.

Still, I like Novak to win this one.  He is in pretty good nick and playing well, and generally he plays a very cat and mouse style of tennis, where he will change speed, depth and angle frequently during rallies to force the opponents error.  Most of the others lack the finesse and tactics.

That being said, not much being said about Wawrinka and Murray who have had a fairly breezy run through, and the Berdych/Murray match might have a big say on the eventual outcome of this tournament.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #24
Nadal was underdone.

He was labouring for most of last week.

He might have been "up" for it up until the Berdych match, but he wasnt in good nick, and from what I saw the points were finishing too quickly for him to play his regular style.

Still, I like Novak to win this one.  He is in pretty good nick and playing well, and generally he plays a very cat and mouse style of tennis, where he will change speed, depth and angle frequently during rallies to force the opponents error.  Most of the others lack the finesse and tactics.

That being said, not much being said about Wawrinka and Murray who have had a fairly breezy run through, and the Berdych/Murray match might have a big say on the eventual outcome of this tournament.

All good points matey.

And well done to Kyrgios. Went toe to toe against one of the world's best, and was only let down by a few tactical errors and mis hits at critical moments.

Well done young man.

Reply #25
Kyrgios did very well to get as far as he did. He has lots to learn and his best way to learn is through experience. He could turn out to be a real gem for Australia one day. I agree PaulP he did miss some opportunities when the moment needed to be taken. Surely he will learn to be composed in these moments in the future.

Djokovic is playing another blinder against Raonic. I can't believe the bombs the big Canadian is serving up. Around 220-230km/hr. Really can't put a definite for the final. Djokovic, Murray, Wawrinka and Berdych are playing some of the best tennis they have ever played. ;)

Reply #26
The Joker looks unstoppable now.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #27
Agree mantis.

All four remaining players are in very good form, but having just watched Novak put in an almost faultless display against Milos, he is in the box seat for sure.  He was peerless just now. Based on form, he deserves to win.

Reply #28
Agree mantis.

All four remaining players are in very good form, but having just watched Novak put in an almost faultless display against Milos, he is in the box seat for sure.  He was peerless just now. Based on form, he deserves to win.
Only thing in Jokers way is the best and most beautiful backhand in the business.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #29
Don't care who wins, just want that prat, sook, mummies boy Murray out ASAP. I would love to walk up to him and just punch him in the face. Look up bad sportsperson in the dictionary and there is a picture of Murray there.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th