Skip to main content
Topic: Princes Park and the '56 Olympics (Read 4924 times) previous topic - next topic

Princes Park and the '56 Olympics

Hey, has anyone had a read of these two articles by Tony DeBolfo over on the CFC site ?

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2016-05-23/princes-park-and-the-56-olympics-part-1

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2016-05-24/princes-park-and-the-56-olympics-part-2

For me, this was a complete revelation, I had never heard this story before !  What an unbelievable future this would have meant for Princes Park & the club if this had indeed come to fruition, and would have if not, it appears, for the pig headedness & very questionable political interference of the then Victorian premier, Mr Cain.

Imagine another 80 000+ seat stadium located at Princes Park from 1956 ? 

The MCG would have ceased to have a hold over the VFL/AFL in any way
Waverley might never have been built
Docklands might not even exist
Carlton's home ground & financial future would have been secured for a very long time

What a missed chance !
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Re: Princes Park and the '56 Olympics

Reply #1
You missed one.

Imagine what this would have meant for Fitzroy.

They might have been able to stay financially viable via a ground sharing agreement.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #2
You missed one.

Imagine what this would have meant for Fitzroy.

They might have been able to stay financially viable via a ground sharing agreement.

Far out, yeah....there's probably a whole heap of could have beens.  I mean the VFL & AFL were desperate enough to rid themselves of being held at gunpoint by the MCG, that they built 2 stadiums of their own !

Reply #3
Yeah definately.  Even North Melbourne would have been keen as to ground share with us.

No crappy stadium deals at craptyhad either.

Western Bulldogs actually used PP for their home ground in the mid to late 90's.

Sliding doors moments for sure.

Not meant to be and on the other hand, at very least we can write our own destiny so to speak.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #4
Yeah definately.  Even North Melbourne would have been keen as to ground share with us.

No crappy stadium deals at craptyhad either.

Western Bulldogs actually used PP for their home ground in the mid to late 90's.

Not to mention bloody Hawthorn !

Reply #5
Intrestingly, Waverley was initially planned as a 157 000 capacity stadium to be built in stages &  it was another Victorian Labor Government in the early 80s that stymied the promised construction of a railway line out there & the final expansion of Waverley to a seating capacity of over 100 000 ......

"Key government figures, including premier John Cain, were pro-MCC supporters and did not want the biggest game of the year moved from the MCG"

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/the-157000seat-super-stadium-that-never-was/news-story/2c031a2774cc7e2353cf3857f3985723

So, John Cain senior killed off the Princes Park development with his pro MCC bias.
John Cain junior killed off Waverleys development with his pro MCC bias.

what a great legacy of political interference from one family.....

Reply #6
Intrestingly, Waverley was initially planned as a 157 000 capacity stadium to be built in stages &  it was another Victorian Labor Government in the early 80s that stymied the promised construction of a railway line out there & the final expansion of Waverley to a seating capacity of over 100 000 ......

"Key government figures, including premier John Cain, were pro-MCC supporters and did not want the biggest game of the year moved from the MCG"

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/the-157000seat-super-stadium-that-never-was/news-story/2c031a2774cc7e2353cf3857f3985723

So, John Cain senior killed off the Princes Park development with his pro MCC bias.
John Cain junior killed off Waverleys development with his pro MCC bias.

what a great legacy of political interference from one family.....

Yes I remember the discussions at the time were of the "either, or" type when they should have been along the lines of how the two stadiums could complement each other. Benefit of hindsight I guess but at the same time I never enjoyed Waverley even though I live quite close by in those days.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #7
You need to remember that both Cains, Snr. and Jnr. were/are staunch Collingwood supporters.  There was no way John Snr. was going to allow Carlton to have a stadium 3 times the size of that of his team and the supporter advantages that it would create.  Also I think John Jnr. was Premier when Collingwood were allowed to take over the Olympic swomming venue and provided state momey to assost the project. >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

Reply #8
You need to remember that both Cains, Snr. and Jnr. were/are staunch Collingwood supporters.  There was no way John Snr. was going to allow Carlton to have a stadium 3 times the size of that of his team and the supporter advantages that it would create.  Also I think John Jnr. was Premier when Collingwood were allowed to take over the Olympic swomming venue and provided state momey to assost the project. >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

Collingwood and the Victorian Institute of Sport took over "Melbourne Sports and Entertainment Centre" in 2003 when Bracks was Premier.  Bracks is a Geelong supporter.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #9
Collingwood and the Victorian Institute of Sport took over "Melbourne Sports and Entertainment Centre" in 2003 when Bracks was Premier.  Bracks is a Geelong supporter.

But John Jnr was well and truly into it.