Skip to main content
Topic: Big Bash Competition (Read 9735 times) previous topic - next topic

Big Bash Competition

How can something that I supposed to be so exciting be so boring?

Major Flaw:  If the first team makes 190+, the game can be all over after 5 overs of the second innings if they don't maintain the rate.  Likewise, if a team bombs first up (under 120)....match gonski.

Re: Big Bash Competition

Reply #1
Yeah, I agree. There's nothing in the pitch for the bowlers, the ropes are in way too far it's ridiculous and all the gimmicks are stupid. Dipper sitting in a box all game to try to take a catch that got nowhere near him?

Rubbish.

PS: Ditch the pyrotechnics and cheerleaders while you're at it.

Reply #2
I prefer the 50 over one day games, and favour the test matches the most. I guess I am traditionalistic or just old fashioned. Maybe just old. The 20/20 wouldn't be bad if the crowds were so much higher like the Indian league.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #3
I prefer the 50 over one day games, and favour the test matches the most. I guess I am traditionalistic or just old fashioned. Maybe just old. The 20/20 wouldn't be bad if the crowds were so much higher like the Indian league.

Agree...Test cricket is NO 1 for me and then I would have 50/50 cricket as my next favourite....20/20 is park cricket for players with no technique...

Reply #4
The umpiring in the 20/20 games is pathetic. Tonights game with Brisbane Heat vs Perth Scorchers is a classic. They clearly had a player caught off a "No Ball". The bowlers foot was around 4 inches past the line. Then they miss an obvious caught behind of the batsmans gloves. Poor umpiring to say the least. They were really obvious mistakes too. The game is hard enough to enjoy without these mistakes. As for batting technique. Batters technique is swinging like a dunny door tonight.

Reply #5
It's nothing more than a crash & bash version of the game, should be renamed Bogan Cricket because that's who it appeals to.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #6
It's nothing more than a crash & bash version of the game, should be renamed Bogan Cricket because that's who it appeals to.

Do you find yourself watching it more than you would or should exp0ect to. I for some reason am. Go Stars and Renegades.  ;D

Skill level = Nill
Swing the bat like a dunny door = Every delivery

The 50 over version of One Day cricket is entertaining and requires a strategy. Watching 300 plus scores lets you see plenty of boundaries and sixes. This just requires stupidity with the bat. The average score is only 150 runs in 20 overs anyway. I have watched 350 runs scored in 50 overs and requires skill and intelligent batting with players scoring centuries. Its about the same in run rate too. Its all about the music, cheerleaders, and fireworks. Better get back to it. ;D

Reply #7

Hey! I'm a bogan and I don't enjoy it.  ;D

Reply #8
I don't watch it - end of story !!
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #9

Interesting you would write that... I had some interest last year and the year before etc., but this year I just can't watch it and don't. It really is boring and one dimensional.

Been right back into test cricket and have always enjoyed the 1 day version. Mind you the increased interest in test cricket this year was in no small way helped by the way our boys played the game... and our success.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #10

Interesting you would write that... I had some interest last year and the year before etc., but this year I just can't watch it and don't. It really is boring and one dimensional.

Been right back into test cricket and have always enjoyed the 1 day version. Mind you the increased interest in test cricket this year was in no small way helped by the way our boys played the game... and our success.

Its funny how winning and playing well to be competitive attracts interest in viewing any sport. ;)

Reply #11
I'm watching it, I'm enjoying it... lighten up folks, it is just a game.

Just sit down at 7 with a  beverage of your choice and wait for the fookin hitting to start. Some games are crap, just like any other cricket match.

Technique shmechnique...  Pretty sure everyone playing has a better technique than me!

Reply #12
Last night I watched the Perth Scorchers vs the Sydney 6'ers. Drawn after 20 overs each and a super over each to finalise the result. I must say I can't understand some of the new strokes invented for limited overs cricket. This stupid new scoop the ball over the keepers head. You walk in front of the stumps until you are completely outside the off stump and scoop it over the keeper. Steve Smith tried it in the super over and having all his stumps exposed was bowled in the first deliver. I hope it teaches him to bat the way he was taught as a kid. I'm sure this stroke is not part of the education for any batsmen in cricket at all. I thought the reverse sweep was stupid but this takes the cake. Even Sir Viv Richards the master blaster who is a regular commentator would think WTF ?

He if anyone knew how to hit a clean and crisp boundary or hit it for 6. His captain Clive Lloyd wasn't bad at it either. Including Gordon Greenidge, Desmond Haymes and a few others. If you don't have the power to rip the leather off the ball, time it like Gus Logie, Brian Lara etc. Viv mentors the Melbourne Stars. No wonder they are top of the table. He still looks fit enough to go another round himself. ;)

Reply #13
Still not into this comp. Was novel early on but it is another game altogether... not cricket but some cricket/baseball/boxing mutation.

I'm with Dean Jones (see today's article in The Age). There is no doubting that the 20 is entertaining but for those of us raised on test cricket... one dayers are way in front in terms of 'faster'.

Maybe, just maybe those of us who are 'older' prefer 'gratification delay' whereas our younger generation has been raised on 'instant gratification'.

Summary - I prefer life with foreplay. Some prefer the 'shoot' straight up, rather than the strategy that got them there.  ;) ;) 8) :-*
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #14
Still not into this comp. Was novel early on but it is another game altogether... not cricket but some cricket/baseball/boxing mutation.

I'm with Dean Jones (see today's article in The Age). There is no doubting that the 20 is entertaining but for those of us raised on test cricket... one dayers are way in front in terms of 'faster'.

Maybe, just maybe those of us who are 'older' prefer 'gratification delay' whereas our younger generation has been raised on 'instant gratification'.

Summary - I prefer life with foreplay. Some prefer the 'shoot' straight up, rather than the strategy that got them there.  ;) ;) 8) :-*

it's one massive yawn......
Finals, then 4 in a row!