Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW Round 2: Carlton vs GWS at Ikon (Read 9724 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW Round 2: Carlton vs GWS at Ikon

Reply #30
Not sure why Keeping changed the lineup much after last week, it worked very effectively. Going to need to be on our A-game this week.

I suspect a few reasons;

- They have only 7 weeks to assess the whole list for next year.

- I noticed in all the games players looked tentative compared to week one, most likely many players were sore after the intensity of their first AFL week.

- We have our first interstate game this week, he needs to keep the travelling list fresh.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #31
Just to put Saturday's official attendance 7,884 in perspective, a record crowd of 4,591 watched the W-League grand final  :o

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #32
Just to put Saturday's official attendance 7,884 in perspective, a record crowd of 4,591 watched the W-League grand final  :o

Just to put THAT into perspective....how much are tickets for each?

The AFL has always been ahead of the game in terms of pricing for its events. Womens events is largely free (if not completely) and is more about marketing then it is making money at this stage.

Reply #33
Just to put THAT into perspective....how much are tickets for each?

The AFL has always been ahead of the game in terms of pricing for its events. Womens events is largely free (if not completely) and is more about marketing then it is making money at this stage.

That's right, and I suspect that the W-League crowd would have been larger had the game been held in Melbourne.  Even so, it's a marketing failure by the round ball game; free tickets for all WA juniors would have improved the atmosphere and encouraged many to continue to play the game.

It was interesting to hear Georgina Robinson's comments on Offsiders on Sunday.  She went to great lengths to point out that other sporting codes - soccer, rugby and cricket - have career paths for women and Australian footy doesn't.  When Gideon Haigh talked about how much he and his family enjoyed watching the AFLW game at Princes Park, Robinson interjected with "That's if you like AFL!"

I'm not sure that women's soccer and rugby in Australia have career paths; certainly not to the same extent that netball and women's basketball do, but it was hard to take Robinson seriously given her obvious bias.  Haigh, on the other hand, is a sports polymath and his impressions of the AFLW game were informed and interesting.    
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball