Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW injuries (Read 3189 times) previous topic - next topic

AFLW injuries

From the game against Adelaide...

Sarah Last has done a knee and is out for 12 months.

and...

Bri Davey hurt her back and is out for the next 2 weeks!  :'(

Guess somebody else gets a chance at BOG now.

Re: AFLW injuries

Reply #1
From the game against Adelaide...

Sarah Last has done a knee and is out for 12 months.

and...

Bri Davey hurt her back and is out for the next 2 weeks!  :'(

Guess somebody else gets a chance at BOG now.
I think that will hurt us more than it hurts Davey :(
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #2
Bad news indeed. :(
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #3
Reports are that Nat Exon fractured her ankle and is done for 2017, quite a loss to cover, Exon has been one of the midfield driving forces.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #4
Reports are that Nat Exon fractured her ankle and is done for 2017, quite a loss to cover, Exon has been one of the midfield driving forces.

Yes, it's on the website and she will be missed  :(

I heard some discussion about concern with the rate of serious injuries in the AFLW, particularly ACLs.  It was put down to inadequate preparation for the season (in part).  Players will be working a lot harder in their next pre-season.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #5
Yes, it's on the website and she will be missed  :(

I heard some discussion about concern with the rate of serious injuries in the AFLW, particularly ACLs.  It was put down to inadequate preparation for the season (in part).  Players will be working a lot harder in their next pre-season.

What little I saw of her she was a real goer.

The girls are in that "unsweet spot" of many amateur sportspeople that can't support themselves through their sport, and need to have other work. I would not like to see this injury trend continue, and hopefully solutions can be found, sooner rather than later. Hopefully, as you say, all that is required is a longer pre season.

Reply #6
What little I saw of her she was a real goer.

The girls are in that "unsweet spot" of many amateur sportspeople that can't support themselves through their sport, and need to have other work. I would not like to see this injury trend continue, and hopefully solutions can be found, sooner rather than later. Hopefully, as you say, all that is required is a longer pre season.

Well they aren't amateur, and I suspect that is why there is a spate of injuries. Being semi-professional they are in that transition zone where strength and durability are probably mismatched at the moment. It might certainly be a problem with the way the competition is structured.

Reminds me of doing jobs around the house at the weekend, not being a hardened tradesmen if I swing hammers for a few hours I feel it for a few days. The girls are sort of in the same zone at the moment, doing a professional job but as part-timers.

Also, have you noticed how the level of impact and collisions have gone up week by week. Last weekend our game with Melbourne the girls didn't leave much in the tank when it come to head on collisions. I realise they are not as big or as fast as the guys but the level of effort is getting there, they all want to play finals.

On the income front, one would imagine there is some significant insurance being taken out by the AFLW and the clubs in regards to loss of income. The AFLPA would have a large say in this aspect of the new competition, and if I recall this and the medical and insurance costs were one of the points raised as to why the girls can't poop the new nest by asking for too much money from the start-up.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7
Im no expert, but I think that its all relative.  Are we seeing more injuries because of the demand on the body??

Or, are we seeing it simply because we are exposed to it now?

The incidence of injury at amateur level would never have been public domain knowledge in the past, and whilst I concede that the demands on the bodies have increased, its relative.  The entire competition are doing the same sort of things.  Are we seeing this widespread?  Is it just a bit of bad luck on behalf of the players who have suffered the injuries??

Lets not forget that we picked up a girl who was coming off a reconstruction which is the only reason she didnt end up in the draft.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson