Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2022 Rd 14 Carlton vs Coburg (Read 799 times) previous topic - next topic

VFL 2022 Rd 14 Carlton vs Coburg

This game is set for next Saturday, 25th June, at 1705 at Ikon Park.

Coburg were competitive for a half against Richmond today, but that was it. And they don't have a lot of talls.

Very interesting to see what sort of line-up we have.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: VFL 2022 Rd 14 Carlton vs Coburg

Reply #1
Here it is, Thursday night, and no sign of the line-up as yet.
One of Setterfield, Motlop, Fogarty and Stocker will not be playing.
To be honest, I thought Stocker played very well last weekend. He had two very poor kicks, but most others were good. His physicality and run were excellent.
Fogarty played one of his most effective games last week. He played well as a midfielder, but he still offers very little as a small forward. He offers nothing in the air at all, for example.
Setters got a lot of ball last week, but he was still Setters.
Motlop did some good tackling and chasing, but he had no impact on the game at all. He had a couple of rushed possessions and no marks. He didn't appreciate the conditions . I wouldn't be considering him this week, although he is a much better option at Marvel than anywhere else at the moment.

If I were just looking statistically, I would have considered Mirkov. As the seniors play at Marvel, I'd still think about it. But I was disappointed last week. He didn't read the ball well at the centre bounces under the lights and wasn't in the contest enough. He didn't make enough body contact, nor did he use that extra height.
A few times he read the ball well and got off the ground. On those occasions, he not only got the tap, but it was hugely significant. Each one of those lead to a Carlton score, usually a goal ( and two posters). He would only have to do that a few times at senior level and it would be enough to determine the outcome of the game.
Be that as it may, on last week's form he wasn't a realistic chance of being considered. Still, when he comes off, it is lethal. As Coburg don't have a top ruck, I expect Mirkov to be more significant this week. But he really needs to get his act together in the cold, slippery conditions at Carlton at night for the VFL side to be what it could be.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #2
Lads held on well with so many AFL listed players missing. Dow is not going to get a game for the club if he doesn't learn to tackle with intent.

Stocker was a cool calming influence good to see and my man Trudgeon now this boy is a player that fits the Voss system

Reply #3
A very close call against an opponent we should have thrashed. However, with so few AFL lads available, especially as both Motlop and Setterfield came out at the last minute, it was a performance that showed heart. I will enjoy looking at his game a little later.

From the stats:
[1] Mirkov is certainly not having a great patch at the moment. He was beaten by a no-name today, which is hugely disappointing. However, last week he seemed to really struggle in the conditions. He didn't read the ball in the air at the centre bounce and sometimes couldn't even make a contest. I don't think he has played much under lights, especially when it is was cold and slippery.
I'm reasonable sure he probably did the same thing tonight, but I won't know until I've seen the replay. Certainly he played much better on dry tracks in the daytime. To be honest, I think he would do better at Marvel, where it is dry and hard.
He has a long way to go at the moment. With him not playing anywhere near his best, the need on our list of another ruckman, a bull type, is obvious. The question is who?

[2] Paddy Dow continues to do his best to get a go in the seniors, but even at this level his issues appear obvious. He really needs to tackle harder and more often. He had 34 possessions and 7 clearances, but 0 tackles. That is probably why he isn't getting senior games.

[3] With Boyd going down late in today's game, Stocker has put his name forward at the most opportune time. He had 28 possessions and 10 marks. He'll be considered for next week on that effort, although his kicks are inflated by his taking the kickouts.

[4] With Carroll having a quiet one, it was the VFL boys who really stood up today:
Joel Trudgeon had 30 possessions, 9 marks and 5 tackles. He may lack a little pace, but he does a lot of things right.
Zavier Maher had 27 possessions. He isn't consistent enough for me, but he had a good one today. he also shows more than a little of the Voss influence in the way he approaches the game.
Will Hayes had 25 possessions. he might have been good, but he probably would be lucky to get a senior game from his recent performances. He also appears to prefer a hard, dry track. His overhead work is adequate, but he wouldn't displace Lochie O'Brien at the moment.
Patrick Dozzi had his 2nd or 3rd game and got 22 possessions. I don't know much about this kid, but I'm going to find out. He is one of the leaders at the Northern Knights, apparently.
Alex Cincotta is putting himself forward as a possible rookie pick-up for next year. He may not get off the ground a lot, but he runs hard, he tackles hard and his kicking is pretty good. He would offer more than a few of our listed players, even if he fills a spot we generally have covered.
Ned Cahill, David Handley and Stefan Radavanovic also did their part. Cahill is down from his early season form, but he is still offering something.

[5] Josh Cripps continues to disappoint. He isn't getting the possessions and he is making no impact as a 2nd or 3rd ruck. His ruck work looks very ordinary and he struggles to get much off the ground. I think he will also do better when the grounds get harder, but he is not showing what I hoped he would. Maybe we will keep him on at this level, but he really needs to put in a hell of a lot of hard work, especially running work. At this point, I can't see him making it.
For that matter, Sam Philp must be putting his spot on the list at risk. He isn't making much of a contribution at the moment, although he did better last week up the ground and in the centre square. At the moment, he would be the favourite to make way.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #4
I believe we coped another injury to an AFL listed player in this game, any news?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5
[5] Josh Cripps continues to disappoint. He isn't getting the possessions and he is making no impact as a 2nd or 3rd ruck. His ruck work looks very ordinary and he struggles to get much off the ground. I think he will also do better when the grounds get harder, but he is not showing what I hoped he would. Maybe we will keep him on at this level, but he really needs to put in a hell of a lot of hard work, especially running work. At this point, I can't see him making it.
I may have done Josh Cripps something of a disservice with my comments: for the first time this year big Josh took a couple of really strong marks in the forward line. Usually, he converts pretty well, but this time he couldn't. This is one of the areas where I think he has made considerable improvement. Early in the season he wasn't taking any contested marks.
That said, a number of my recent comments still very much hold true: he really needs to work on his fitness, as he doesn't get much off the ground, he doesn't get to enough contests and he doesn't lead as much as I would like him to do. His ruck work is very ordinary: he rarely make real body contact, where, as he is going to be strong ruckman rather than an athletic one, he really needs to bash into opponents.
Glass=McCasker is similar; he doesn't make much body contact when in the ruck. However, he isn't the type who thrives on that sort of thing, he is a more athletic player.

For that matter, Sam Philp must be putting his spot on the list at risk. He isn't making much of a contribution at the moment, although he did better last week up the ground and in the centre square. At the moment, he would be the favourite to make way.
I might also have ben a bit harsh on Philp. He went off before quarter time, which makes his stats look a lot better.
In fact, for much of the night we only had one on the bench, but that is another tale (and a damned good one).
Phlip's problem at the moment is that he isn't providing anything significantly different to what our smaller players are providing. He is 186 cm tall and looks to be taller, but you don't see him using that height and taking marks in the forward half (unless they are uncontested). His kicking is usually pretty good, but it hasn't had that extra penetration that would be a selling point in his favour. He isn't getting large numbers of tackles. He hasn't been getting the scoring opportunities, especially from crumbs around the pack. Honey really did that last week, which was why he got the game. Honey also has the explosiveness that can make the unusual happen. I haven't seen that yet from Philp.
I don't think any of these things are beyond him, although I don't seeing him taking spectacular marks. Just solid ones against opposition would be enough. His form has been better in recent times when he has spent more time in the midfield. Perhaps he could be heading to that, but I still want to see the hunger you see sometimes from Corey Durdin and Matt Owies.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #6
I believe we coped another injury to an AFL listed player in this game, any news?
That was Sam Philp. he had 2 possessions and 2 tackles in the short time he was on the ground. Not sure what the injury was, but he wasn't able to return.
With injuries we had, and with neither Motlop nor Setterfield available (Setters couldn't get back to Ikon Park soon enough after the game finished, even though he was only one for a short while), we went for much of the game with one on the bench.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #7
Considering we were down so many AFL listed boys this was a terrific effort to hang on. Stocker of the AFL lads was a standout.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17