Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 21 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs St. Kilda (Read 4776 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 21 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs St. Kilda

Reply #45
I just don’t want to hear we were complacent and caught napping from the first bounce. We are still going to be missing some key players. This is the game that could set us up for a proper finals assault. You don’t beat the top 2 sides and the lose to St Kilda.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #46
I just don’t want to hear we were complacent and caught napping from the first bounce. We are still going to be missing some key players. This is the game that could set us up for a proper finals assault. You don’t beat the top 2 sides and the lose to St Kilda.
I'd like to think the methods adopted for our planning and preparation over the last 6 or so weeks would mean the players will be ready to go at the first bounce. Unfortunately, "We Are Carlton" and a lot of us supporters (me at least) are not at the same level yet so there is always that bit of doubt. Even with our injuries, on paper we should cane this mob.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #47
So the big question, after a few rounds of success, "Is silence golden?"

A lot think this forum and others like it need winning games to thrive, yet it seems there is far more debate in pain than in joy!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #48

Agree but this week will be very different to the game style we were able to play to get the points against the top 2 sides. We were the hunter in those wins so we could plan against them without the same extent of planning being done on us as both Port and Pies would have been more concerned about their own gameplan as they would have been confident if they play well they win. This week that wont be the case as Lyon will choke and strangle the game to negate us and bring us down to their level where they stand a much better chance of winning.

Dont think this week will be as easy as many think - we will need to win ugly and be patient and prepared that we may struggle to plan our style for the full 120 mins. They will be flooding our F50 so our forwards wont get the space they had in the last 2 wins. Be a good test to see how we strong we are when an opposition team brings a plan to completely negate our style.

Reply #49
Dont think this week will be as easy as many think - 
Excluding fans and outsiders, does anybody on the inside really think games will be "easy!"

Looking at the AFL, all games are hard, the difference between the top and the bottom is not even 5%, we should know that better than most!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #50
Excluding fans and outsiders, does anybody on the inside really think games will be "easy!"

Looking at the AFL, all games are hard, the difference between the top and the bottom is not even 5%, we should know that better than most!

Spot on LP..just look at the results from last round. All the favourites that were a bit off, lost.

Reply #51
At the moment we have quite a few teams contesting a limited number of finals spots.
Without looking closely at the draw I suspect that over the next couple of weeks some of these side will drop off when it becomes mathematically impossible for them to make final.
That may lead to some teams lacking in intensity in the final rounds and those games may be a little easier...
but for a team still in contention approach those games with that attitude at your peril ;)

Reply #52
Spot on LP..just look at the results from last round. All the favourites that were a bit off, lost.
The hardest part of playing AFL, the big difference between AFL and the next lower level, is mindset.

You have to be instantaneously brutal, cold and unrelenting in your process, if you aren't then efficiency leaves the building and you look like a chump. In AFL, it has always been blink and you're dead!

A lot of fans carry on about skills, there isn't a poorly skill player in the AFL, they are all good beyond what fans realise. The problem with execution of skills come from mindset, not from a lack of capability.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #53
So I'm hearing Gov with a hamstring, is that an opportunity for Sam Durdin to be the next man in, or will Young come in?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #54
Yeah just heard that on SEN. Depends if King is in I reckon. If King plays, play Young if not Durdin.

Reply #55
Is the change in how we are playing the game taking it's toll?

Reply #56

Its a long(er) season this year. I reckon we'll see a bit more of these 'niggles' taking its toll.

Just get him right for finals.

Reply #57
How many hammies? Walsh, Cerra, Gov, are there any others?
Seriously, our luck winning games with injuries to key players has to run out surely.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #58

Possibly, it's a high pressure game we play.
Players are expected to chase, and chase, and chase some more.
Some of the running that some of our guys are doing is next level stuff.
Hollands gave an example of that last week with and end to end run.

To play that style of game you have to be pretty well conditioned, otherwise it's not sustainable.
Are we at that level that we can maintain it for another 4+ matches?
That will be seen.
But we're committed to playing that way.
There's no turning back now, and no luxury of a game against a significantly weaker opponent.

We can look at the players who will come back with some optimism.
The ones we'll lose, and the length of time we'll lose them for, is the big unknown.

Reply #59
IN
Ed Curnow,
Jaxon Binns,
Josh Honey,
Sam Durdin,
Zac Fisher

OUT
Adam Cerra (Injured),
Mitch McGovern (Injured)