Skip to main content
Topic: Pre Game Premonitions: AFL 2021 Rd 6: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 8089 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre Game Premonitions: AFL 2021 Rd 6: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #15
Ramsay in is a good call....nice leftie and we have to start looking at different setups with different players.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #16
Has Durdin featured in VFL games this year yet?

Reply #17
Has Durdin featured in VFL games this year yet?
Think I heard he had 9 possies and a goal from our Youtube mate who did a nice review on the game.
Looks like he needs a body of work in the VFL to get used to the different style of game in the VFL/AFL.
I'm a fan, the kid has Caleb Daniel type skills and can make it with opportunity IMHO, the SANFL is slower and less physical
so he may take a bit more time before we see him at senior level.

Reply #18
Cheers EB....there's not much left really....Cunningham and Stocker probably the only two up to it at the moment.

Reply #19
Cheers EB....there's not much left really....Cunningham and Stocker probably the only two up to it at the moment.
Surfie, I'll go with Stocker , Cuningham will probably get picked this week too but I dont have much faith in him.
Probably play a blinder vs Brisbane or Essendon then disappear for the season...I'd be making plans to make him disappear in the trade period if that trend continues.

Reply #20
Interesting discussion on the couch, calling for SPS and Murphy into the midfield

There are so many things we could try.....however we desperately need pace in this side. Ideas include
- Stocker to HBF or on the ball
- Dow on a wing to expose his pace
- Cunningham forward or on a wing (pace)
- SPS to the middle
- Williams to HBF or HFF
- Kennedy forward
- McGovern back

Murphy, Newnes, Williamson out and Stocker, Cunningham and Dow in. Would look something like this....

Betts McKay Kennedy
Fogarty Casboult Williams
Dow Walsh Cunningham
Stocker Weitering Saad
Docherty Jones McGovern

Pittonet Cripps SPS

Curnow, Cottrell, Gibbons, Plowman

Must try something this week and we must try and get something out of all of SPS, Dow and Stocker

If Parks were available, Plowman would be next out. Kennedy saved until Silvagni is back.

Reply #21
I don't really care who's out there this week - I just want to see some serious and committed effort.

We have 22 on the ground just like the other mob, and each and every player should be determined to win every contested situation they find themselves in.   Make a stand!
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #22
Last time we were under the pump like this, was when Bolts was sacked and we know what happened that day. We have been coping it all week from everyone. So i would expect a much stronger showing on Saturday night.

Saying that I think Brisbane are a better team now and will be ready.

I would say Weitering will play as we have had no indication that he had been concussed then or developed any delayed concussion. He returned to the field after been given the all clear. The week before Gibbons was hit in the head, much the same way and he went off for the concussion test, returned and played last week.

SPS should play in the middle/HFF as this the role he was picked for. His best game was a 35 possession game for us playing on-ball  I think a couple of years ago and everyone raved about him. So Teague and MC just do it.

Stocker to take his place at HB and use his aggro and kicking abilities to get the ball out of there and deliver it to our advantage for once.

Now I like Gibbons, don't get me wrong, but I think his disposal is so so too often. Can get it but at times is too slow and butchers it somewhat. He has a lot of friends in that category at times. He is improving and looks a bit more comfortable out there as he gets more experience.

Gov should also play down back like his brother does. I reckon he could be just as good as an intercepting player as he has good speed and good hands. Looked ok out there when he did play down back last week when Weitering was off the ground. Maybe we will see more of this as they finally pulled the trigger and played him down back.

I would persist with Kennedy and play him forward and in the middle as he has in the past. He has good hands and is an accurate kick for goal.

Not sure who will go out, but I would really like to see an improved effort, we may not win but at least show us that there is a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.

Reply #23
We persist with play young mids in defensive rolls, Pagan did it with Gibbs, SPS, Stocker the list goes on. These blokes were not drafted as defenders, why the hell don't we play to the strengths of the kids we draft instead of trying to change them into something else.

I see Stocker had 38 touches in the 2's on the weekend, off half back. Why!?
What happened to my old profile?????

Reply #24
We persist with play young mids in defensive rolls, Pagan did it with Gibbs, SPS, Stocker the list goes on. These blokes were not drafted as defenders, why the hell don't we play to the strengths of the kids we draft instead of trying to change them into something else.

I see Stocker had 38 touches in the 2's on the weekend, off half back. Why!?
I agree, but i think the reason is.....there are no back pockets in the draft.

They are all mids who go back or are not good enough to be 1st string mids.

Reply #25
Sticker played pretty well as the sweeper/oulet player on the weekend and has done well as an inside mid as well.   Must play this weekend.

I'd consider Dow or Cunners for a wing as well,  shadowing McCluggage.

Time for these kids to step up.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #26
Sticker played pretty well as the sweeper/oulet player on the weekend and has done well as an inside mid as well.   Must play this weekend.

I'd consider Dow or Cunners for a wing as well,  shadowing McCluggage.

Time for these kids to step up.
McCluggage is a real good player and I'd have Cottrell on him as he will sacrifice his own game to get the job done, Dow and Cuningham couldnt mind each other if they were locked together in a suitcase.

Reply #27
Dow and Cuningham couldnt mind each other if they were locked together in a suitcase.
;D  ;D  ;D
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #28
Some talk around that Jarrod Berry and Oscar McInerney are on light duties and will need to be declared fit to play. Let's hope they need one more week. Every little bit counts.

Reply #29
I’m expecting Liam Stocker to be in the engine room for short intervals only , the lads needs time yet , as a sweeper intercepting in the back line is we’re he’ll be positioned for most of his ground time. Has a very good leg so will give  drive from HB.