Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 12: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs GWS (Read 34317 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 12: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs GWS

Reply #120
I'd have moire faith in Toby Greene maintaining his influence away from the surroundings of the magnificent GWS list than Joshua Kelly.

Greene is a more of a physical player, and it's clear he has that bit of bastard about him!

I think if Toby Greene learns to sacrifice, he can be as influential as Sam Mitchell, all be it in a different role.

Green would probably play a fair bit of midfield for us.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #121
Still no word on Alex.

Reply #122
Still no word on Alex.

Yeah I agree it's a bit worrying.

He almost certainly would have had a scan yesterday and the silence is deafening!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #123
AFL360 showed Bolton's post-siren reaction in the coach's box last night... he went nuts.

I'm sure they will replay it again this week, worth keeping an eye out for!

Reply #124
Interesting to hear AFL is investigating GWS runner Nick Maxwell after the media comments about him staying on the field, setting up zones and potentially coaching.

I'm with the media, if you recruit athletes who have no football brains you should not be allowed to bridge the footy-smarts gap by having a running act as their thoughts, eyes and ears!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #125
Went to the game and only watched the replay last night.

Still think the umpiring against us was crape - they very nearly got GWS over the line in the last 5 mins!

I thought at The game that Gibbs spectated a bit but actually he was very good.

Fisher and Jed look similar on the run!

Marchbank made errors but god he's a good player - he made a lot of plays and altho two bad kicks I see such good signs there.

Thought Plow was great.

And thought at the game Sumner did not much but again on tv you can see how at times he was fully in the game.

Go Blues - I just love the intensity we're seeing! Looking back to days under Mm gosh they were bad days viewing live, depressing really! But not this  ^-^

I actually thought the same thing re Gibbs

In one passage Gibbs turns the ball over with a poor kick into our forward 50. The ball was quickly rebounded out the other side of the ground and Gibbs just casually walks across from where he kicked it.
Very pedestrian for someone who just turned it over !!
Then he calls for the short 15 metre pass back on the 45 and was ignored so he gave the player who ignored him a mouthful.
I love Bryce but this who piece of play was ordinary !!

Now a positive !! Charlie Curnow could be something else. The tap back into the middle of the ground to our runners from a big contested mark contest was special.

Long time lurker few time poster !!

Reply #126
Interesting to hear AFL is investigating GWS runner Nick Maxwell after the media comments about him staying on the field, setting up zones and potentially coaching.

I'm with the media, if you recruit athletes who have no football brains you should not be allowed to bridge the footy-smarts gap by having a running act as their thoughts, eyes and ears!
I remember against the CATS their runner was right in the middle of our goal square with seconds to go  and Mitch Robbo  had to push him out of the way to get passed him .Any other club would have got   a 50 metre penalty for interference but not us of course .
I thought it was funny that Clarkson was complaining about the umps the cheek no team gets away with murder like the Dawks  

Reply #127
I thought it was funny that Clarkson was complaining about the umps the cheek no team gets away with murder like the Dawks

The fine means nothing, it's a cheap way to buy influence over umpires.

If the AFL were ever fair-dinkum about their custodianship of the game they should suspend coaches for this rubbish!

Sheedy did it for years, Hird learned it from him, and Clarkson and the Scotts keep the tradition going!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #128

No runners on the ground during play. That will solve it once and for all.

Reply #129

I have no problem with runners as long as they are not coaching and get on and off the ground quickly.

If the media reports are correct Maxwell was acting as a defacto line coach, at junior level runners get suspended for that type of behavior!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #130

Agree. Runners have no legitimate purpose when the interchange is there. Get rid of them, including those with drinks etc. Medicos for injured players only. There is clear evidence every week they are coaching players. Easy to stop it.

Reply #131
Agree. Runners have no legitimate purpose when the interchange is there. Get rid of them, including those with drinks etc. Medicos for injured players only. There is clear evidence every week they are coaching players. Easy to stop it.

How do you get players off to give them a message when there is no runner, do we stop play like soccer?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #132
How do you get players off to give them a message when there is no runner, do we stop play like soccer?

I can't think of another sport where people are running on and off the ground during play delivering coaching messages. There is an interchange bench where messages can be delivered and passed onto the field via players. There is also a leadership group that can make calls on the field.

Reply #133
I can't think of another sport where people are running on and off the ground during play delivering coaching messages. There is an interchange bench where messages can be delivered and passed onto the field via players. There is also a leadership group that can make calls on the field.

Most other sports;
 - Play on grounds less than half the size.
 - In front of a crowd similarly smaller.
 - For 1hr less
 - With half the number of players.
 - And with lots of natural breaks in play!

We complain about players who are distracted or lose concentration for a second, do we want them relaying messages pass-it-on style? FFS, they struggle to get things right as it is! ;D

I've no problem with runners, as long as they stay within the rules.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #134
Most other sports.

Play on grounds less than half the size, in front of a crowd similarly smaller, for 1hr less, with half the number of players, with lots of natural breaks in play!

We complain about players who are distracted or lose concentration for a second, do we want them relaying messages pass-it-on style? FFS, they struggle to get things right as it is! ;D

I really think that runners are redundant and nowadays are mainly used to crowd play. Anyway, 80 interchanges per game = 80 opportunities to deliver a message.