Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 13: Post Game Prattling-Carlton v Fremantle (Read 37940 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 13: Post Game Prattling-Carlton v Fremantle

Reply #240
As a mate of mine said, time for BB to stop acting like a school teacher and start acting like a coach. Rowe, Kerridge and anyone else that is in similar damning footage, must be dropped this week.

Fair points GTC...I think teaching is BB's forte and his lack of coaching experience is hurting us as he learns on the job...5 games for Hawthorn coaching a team that coached themselves was always going to be the doubt on BB... Great Assistant....but lacking experience as a senior coach and the club would be thinking about a different coaching structure IMO where his talents are used more during the week and his weak areas such as game day coaching/tactics/pre planning given more assistance....

Reply #241
Fair points GTC...I think teaching is BB's forte and his lack of coaching experience is hurting us as he learns on the job...5 games for Hawthorn coaching a team that coached themselves was always going to be the doubt on BB... Great Assistant....but lacking experience as a senior coach and the club would be thinking about a different coaching structure IMO where his talents are used more during the week and his weak areas such as game day coaching/tactics/pre planning given more assistance....
Happy to give him the time to get off the L plates. Gotta get your experience somehow. Lets face, we got one with 700 games of experience, how did that turn out? All I'm saying when its time to kent up, its time to kent up. After Sat first half, its time.
PS If they dont drop a few this week, they are tanking.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #242
Happy to give him the time to get off the L plates. Gotta get your experience somehow. Lets face, we got one with 700 games of experience, how did that turn out? All I'm saying when its time to kent up, its time to kent up. After Sat first half, its time.

We can't drop too many, Kennedy had 29 touches in the magoos but after him it was daylight.
Garlett maybe, but then you're really struggling.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #243

Are we ruining kids in the meantime, I like Bolton but her wiz they made a great point on the Carlton show this week. They play jack in the 2s to learn to play midfield, when. He comes into the seniors he plays anywhere but!

Reply #244
We can't drop too many, Kennedy had 29 touches in the magoos but after him it was daylight.

De Koning for casboult

Reply #245
Surely its not too hard put this video up in front of them all

https://streamable.com/zmf8x

and tell a couple of the kids "all you have to do is beat these p!$$ weak efforts and you earn yourself a spot for the rest of the year".

Surely it aint that hard.

2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #246
No, but for Kerr? Yes.

We need Levi up there....he was out for what, 6 weeks?

And Harry should come in, if better. Play Charlie on the wing and in the guts - get him fully involved in a game, he has the tank!!

Our MC is half our problem imo.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #247
I've lost faith in Levi.   Averages barely a goal a game,  applies zero defensive pressure, doesn't run to the ball carrier demanding the pill.  And for a bloke his size applies neglible physical presence.  He's had enough chances,  his one trick isn't enough.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #248
I've lost faith in Levi.   Averages barely a goal a game,  applies zero defensive pressure, doesn't run to the ball carrier demanding the pill.  And for a bloke his size applies neglible physical presence.  He's had enough chances,  his one trick isn't enough.

You're getting a bit radical now ProfE!

As much as he's been better this season, he just doesn't bring what we need 200cm players to bring, physical presence and intimidation.

Fans expect Murphy to be Hodge like, while at the same time giving some of our 200cm types like Levi and Jones a pass mark for bruise free and intimidation free football! There is a reason Kreuzer, Rowe and ACoS(When he's fit) stand out, and why in the absence of Williamson and Macreadie we look a bit soft!

But hardness can be stuff other than intimidation, it can be gut running like Murphy(Bradley being the A-Grade example), but other than Kreuzer our 200cm types don't bring that either! I'm not expecting them to be heavy weight boxers, MMA fighters or Olympic Triathletes, but they have to bring something of those characteristics if you are recruiting players like Wright, Fisher, SPS, Pickett, Le Bois, Garlett and O'Brien to play at their feet. It's Levi's absence of physicality that makes it impossible for our smalls to operate in F50, it's why I prefer Kerr long term because he is prepared to use his bulk to a team-mates advantage.

For Levi he has to physically intimidate opposition players, or he has to run the opposition ruck into the ground, the occasional mark jumping over the pack just isn't enough!

As much as fans like Jones, he's damaging our D50 because he won't mark the ball even when he's clear, our KPDs are in general gun shy to marking! Jones also not physically intimidating, but he does jump, run and chase, why not "set him free" and let him do that where it does far less harm! Not as a KPF, but as a small forward or HFF! We are chaotic going into F50 anyway, it's not like he is going to destroy our structure because as far as I can tell we have none!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #249
Casboult had the chance to sort Ballantyne out for being in the hole (not that he leads as he should) and didn't do them job.

At least McKay runs around,  he can also kick.

Reply #250
At least McKay runs around,  he can also kick.

I support McKay being dropped though, you cannot have +200cm players taking zero marks in reasonable weather conditions at Geelong! It was near perfect for a +200cm type.

In regards to the young blokes, I don't care whether they kick 3 goals or 5 straight behinds, as long as they bring something that benefits the team! I want the effort and some presence, some sacrifice!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #251
Don't see Casboult doing much either,  actually I'm not sure what he does. Agree that McKay needed a spell,  but it's time injuries notwithstanding.

Reply #252
Casboult just isn't any good but we haven't had a decent key forward since Fevola and he's the best of a crappy lot.
Our desperation is showing by playing Kerr, who is way off the pace of senior AFL football.
We'll have to go back to the draft and try and get one but we need to give up on finding one at pick 20 or 30, the Ben Browns of the world come along occasionally but most of the real good kids command a high price.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #253
Casboult just isn't any good but we haven't had a decent key forward since Fevola and he's the best of a crappy lot.
Our desperation is showing by playing Kerr, who is way off the pace of senior AFL football.

If Kerr is off the pace, then McKay and Levi must be in Emergency for resuscitation!

I do worry when I hear our coaches telling us Kerr needs to improve his running patterns, I have to question their knowledge of forward play. Because I've watched Kerr closely and he's a mile ahead of our other KPF options when it comes to leading for the football. For that matter, SoJ is also well ahead of some of the other options, but he just doesn't have the necessary size, strength and pace to fill the role. At the moment our best KPF would be a Kerr/SoJ hybrid leaving Charlie free to roam upfield!

A game or two back Kerr was up and about but we either butchered the ball trying to deliver it, or we ignored him completely. Our ball carriers just couldn't bring themself to pull the trigger early enough, and it seems our coaches blamed Kerr's running patterns. Kerr must have been doing the Billy Brownless decoy forward role but without Carlton having anyone except Wright to fill Ablett Snr's job!

In the last McKay game I think Kerr and Charlie also played together. McKay repeatedly committed two mortal sins for an AFL KPF. Firstly, he took his direct opponent to the contest even when we had one on ones inside F50. Secondly, instead of competing overhead he roved leaving some smaller players trying to mark the football. He had zero marks on the day!

If you want to be the man, you had better be the man!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #254
Kerr moves and acts like a real forward, lost confidence with his kicking after that passing fiasco to Kreuzer but he knows how to lead and get the footy
and the kid also doesnt mind a bit of push and shove either and is made of the right stuff,. We need to persist with him...