Skip to main content
Topic: Discussions with Dylan (Read 11240 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Discussions with Dylan

Reply #30
He comes from good carlton stock, as and imagine players like him are good at building an environment that people want to be part of because they have a bit of fun in the process.

I suspect this is the part of the picture that Bolton didn't get, and it probably cost him in the end.

In my opinion he was clearly too invested in the "Strength through adversity" stuff, so much so that he forgot people cannot be under duress 100% of the time without there being some negative effects!

I also attribute much of Nthmond's success to Dimma realising this, and when he did he sacked Choco and a bunch of other assistants, mostly to ensure he could free up the playing group to be human again without too many people wanting a piece of them!

This is a prime example of how people can be the real problem without any of them doing anything wrong!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #31
I am a big supporter of the SOS approach to the rebuild however I can not understand why we got rid of Boekhurst and Buckley and brought in Mullet & Shaw, O'Shea had had a good year at the Northern Blues and deserved a shot as a Rookie, but the other two brought nothing while Boekhurst and Buckley had pace and brought some glimpses of good play.

Reply #32
X2.  I thought Boekhorst was showing a few glimpses and was starting to look like he could develop into a player , whereas his nominal replacement (Shaw) was a stinking decision from go to whoa.   I  wonder if it was the new management being excessive in their approach to distance themselves from previous management?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #33
I am a big supporter of the SOS approach to the rebuild however I can not understand why we got rid of Boekhurst and Buckley and brought in Mullet & Shaw, O'Shea had had a good year at the Northern Blues and deserved a shot as a Rookie, but the other two brought nothing while Boekhurst and Buckley had pace and brought some glimpses of good play.

I thought the story with Boekhurst was that he came back from the west late and turned up at training wasted?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #34
X2.  I thought Boekhorst was showing a few glimpses and was starting to look like he could develop into a player , whereas his nominal replacement (Shaw) was a stinking decision from go to whoa.   I  wonder if it was the new management being excessive in their approach to distance themselves from previous management?

Tend to agree, Shaw was a spud and Mullett got chopped from Nth for being soft and Scott gave that reason in public. Boekhorst was a decently skilled player but the physical nature of AFL footy
had him in trouble as you have to be able to contest properly and you get manned up over here unlike WAFL footy where there is plenty of space to roam in.
Think you are right on the new management, anything from the past that was delivered courtesy of Rogers/Hughes was history unless it was Blue Chip like Cripps...

Reply #35
I thought the story with Boekhurst was that he came back from the west late and turned up at training wasted?

Correct. Went to a music festival back in WA when he was meant to be back at training. Was poised for a rookie spot before that.

Reply #36
I wasn't aware of that.

Reply #37

Glimpses of good play might get you a spot on a list but not for long.  Buckley and Boekhorst had their chances and they simply weren’t good enough ... and Boekhorst let himself down with a very poor decision.

Mullett and Shaw weren’t the answer but they were better options than Buckley and Boekhorst.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball