Skip to main content
Topic: Brexit (Read 9264 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Brexit

Reply #15
... it was too close to call.

Reply #16
Maybe US voters will learn a valuable lesson about the consequences of dummy-spitting.  Then again, that would require some understanding of the world outside their borders.

Reply #17
But the polls said.....

Polls had labour winning the last general election too.

Most of the polls, the talking heads, the cream of the British elite thought remain would win the day. Camaron and his cronies tried a scare campaign, while only leave had a coherent reason and narrative of sorts, no matter how unsavoury. With years of being treated like fools, seeing living standards stagnate, a financial services industry that has become a gigantic parasite enjoying huge bailouts and an establishment that has slashed public services, should we be surprised that so many people sought to give the establishment a bloody nose?

Now they and we all live with the consequences.

Reply #18
Nothing ever shrank to greatness. You grow or you decay.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #19

Most of the polls, the talking heads, the cream of the British elite thought remain would win the day. Camaron and his cronies tried a scare campaign, while only leave had a coherent reason and narrative of sorts, no matter how unsavoury. With years of being treated like fools, seeing living standards stagnate, a financial services industry that has become a gigantic parasite enjoying huge bailouts and an establishment that has slashed public services, should we be surprised that so many people sought to give the establishment a bloody nose?

Spot on. To use a favourite word of the British elite, this is without doubt a case of "revenge of the oiks".

Poor old Boris too - if he gets the PM gig he going to become very acquainted with what it's like to be under pressure - not that I would have too much sympathy for him. It seems to me that he's been pretty much playing games so far. Now it gets real.

Also shows how far out of touch with every day folk and their fears and aspirations the Labour Party there had become.

Very valuable lessons to be learned for sure.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #21
Interesting article from the Irish Times. Worth a read from across the Irish Sea.

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/fintan-o-toole-england-unprepared-for-how-deeply-divided-it-is-1.2698974

Brilliant article Woody, thanks for posting that. I loved the line "Prime minister-in-waiting Boris Johnson is merely the winner of a Winston Churchill impersonation contest."  :))

Hang on, it's true!

Reply #22
Brilliant article Woody, thanks for posting that. I loved the line "Prime minister-in-waiting Boris Johnson is merely the winner of a Winston Churchill impersonation contest."  :))

Hang on, it's true!

I suspect that Boris was hoping for a "remain" outcome and is now having second thoughts about the top job.  Being PM during a sh1tstorm may not be a good career move.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #23

If one of the fall outs is a deep recession and high unemployment, yes, I think we can be surprised.

Reply #25
Jen gives her reasons for voting "Out"

[flash=400,400]https://www.youtube.com/v/nZO9JGSScMQ[/flash]

Reply #26
Forget about expert analyses, this clip tells you everything you need to know about what just happened:

[flash=200,200]https://youtu.be/gPr-8jsBODQ[/flash]

Reply #28
Forget about expert analyses, this clip tells you everything you need to know about what just happened:

[flash]http://=200,200]https://youtu.be/gPr-8jsBODQ[/flash]

Can you fix Mav? Not working for me.

Reply #29
English Collingwood supporter......hope the borders are shut so she cant escape....

I think that's a bit of an act...goggle youtube Jen and Brad Holmes talking about a  pizza ;D
They're good ;)