Skip to main content
Topic: JLT Round 1 - Blues v Hird's Old Crew (this Thursday, Princes Park) (Read 25491 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: JLT Round 1 - Blues v Hird's Old Crew (this Thursday, Princes Park)

Reply #105
Smith, merret and heppell only played a half each.  Cale hooker not there either.

Give it up Thry; making excuses for Essenscum doesn’t really cut the mustard.  We managed our players no more or no less than the Bombers and we had first 22 players out.

Rejoice in the win  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #107
O'Brien played in the VFL against Port and was pretty good for 3 quarters. He ran out of gas in the last and so did all of his team mates.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #108
I went along, too many beers but highlights as follows
- had a few beers with Brendon Boltons old man. Terriific fella, can see why BB is from good stock
- S Walsh
- Kicked 100 pts
- Alex Marcou still has it
- G Southby can drink
- Liked the intensity shown by our mob
- Cheats FC overrated, if they are thinking top 4 they are dreaming.
- Setterfield did some nice things
- Weiters looked confident

Sounds like you had a great evening G2C. 

I had to make do with the tiny AFL app vision but it was still very enjoyable ... and the IPA wen down well  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #109
Sam Walsh is a gun and already looks looks surpassing all our No 1 picks in terms of impact, he already seems a big part of the midfield unit and next to Cripps going to be our most important midfield player. Liked Zac Fishers game tonight and I thought Setterfield did a few things that went unnoticed and he will be a capable assistant to Cripps as a tall midfielder who is designed for doing some heavy work.

I thought Nic Newman stood out though for poise and some second efforts down back....bargain based recruit who has come along at the right time with Docherty out and both Simpson and Thomas nearing the end....

Gibbons proved that VFL players are more than just surburban hacks  and he has probably done enough to play round 1.........

Ok its only a JLT game but I'll take a win in any form and beating Essendon after being challenged makes it even better....plenty to get excited about IMO and while we traditionally play well vs the Bombers no matter where the two teams are on the ladder I thought we played a good brand of football tonight and didnt have many passengers.
Lets hope that form can continue vs Collingwood and into Round 1....

Reply #110
And huge upside too....from many.

Great that the goals are coming from many and often not those you'd expect...
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #111
Give it up Thry; making excuses for Essenscum doesn’t really cut the mustard.  We managed our players no more or no less than the Bombers and we had first 22 players out.

Rejoice in the win  :)

Just calling it as it is.  I'm not getting too excited given many different tactics were tested by both teams. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #112
I'll put up a full report for this game and the VFL tomorrow sometime, but I enjoyed the day, hot though it was. The Northern Blues were the better team for most of the match, but wilted in the last quarter. Jesse Palmer, Josh Hill, Jono O'Rourke and Collins did play at all, while Tom Wilson didn't ply much. Stocker played for a half and looked OK. Ben had a good hit out, but he has a long way to go.

In the seniors, we also had a number of guys out. But we had two ruckmen this week. It made a lot of difference. Phillips was close to BOG at half time. Charlie Curnow barely played a half. Schumacher didn't get much time on the ground. McGovern didn't come back after half time: he simply sat on the bench. With a lot of potential senior players still unavailable, we took the game up to the Drug Cheats and dominated for most of the night. We did not make the most of the time in the forward line: we should have won by a LOT more.
SPS did some marvelous things, but his tank still needs work. He slowed down a lot after half time. Cripps didn't even have a big night and he still got 33 possessions. Sam Walsh was excellent again, showing speed, poise and the ability to find the ball. Phillips was brilliant in the first half, but he tired a bit. Lobbe got his hand to the ball, but Essendon got more clearances while he was on the ball. Newman was good. Daisy was excellent. Fisher didn't appear to dominate the game, but had 25 possessions. Jack Silvagni played the best 7 possessions I can remember. And he, at least, lead to the ball. The other forwards just waited for the long bombs. One of them might take mark of the year if they get out of each other's way.
Essendon got a lot of really easy goals, from getting the ball over the back into the space. We really need to work on that, as Hawthorn did the same last week. Our defenders lost very few contests, but struggled when the ball came over the back.
It was very nice to beat the Drug Cheats. I really don't think they are that good.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #113
And huge upside too....from many.

Great that the goals are coming from many and often not those you'd expect...

Midfield upside is huge, finally Cripps doesnt have to be superman anymore and can be used forward as a weapon.....we have the players to take that  midfield load off him.
McGovern, Harry and Charlie will get better every game as they work out not to fly together and get an idea on how each other plays...kicking 100 points plus shouldnt be a problem anymore.

Reply #115
Cuners at 3.15 on....this guy is good!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #116
Sam Walsh is a gun and already looks looks surpassing all our No 1 picks in terms of impact, he already seems a big part of the midfield unit and next to Cripps going to be our most important midfield player. Liked Zac Fishers game tonight and I thought Setterfield did a few things that went unnoticed and he will be a capable assistant to Cripps as a tall midfielder who is designed for doing some heavy work.

I thought Nic Newman stood out though for poise and some second efforts down back....bargain based recruit who has come along at the right time with Docherty out and both Simpson and Thomas nearing the end....

Gibbons proved that VFL players are more than just surburban hacks  and he has probably done enough to play round 1.........

Ok its only a JLT game but I'll take a win in any form and beating Essendon after being challenged makes it even better....plenty to get excited about IMO and while we traditionally play well vs the Bombers no matter where the two teams are on the ladder I thought we played a good brand of football tonight and didnt have many passengers.
Lets hope that form can continue vs Collingwood and into Round 1....

Weitering had a good first year in a difficult role but Walsh is a different kettle of fish altogether.  He is going to be an absolute balltearer!

I think that the critical comment is that we didn't have passengers.

I'm not entirely convinced about Garlett as a defender but I thought he did OK tonight.  He didn't take crepe from Stringer, delivered a solid hip and shoulder and played his part in some positive ball movement out of defence.

There's a long way to go but there's a lot to like about the way we played tonight.

Reply #117
Weitering had a good first year in a difficult role but Walsh is a different kettle of fish altogether.  He is going to be an absolute balltearer!

I think that the critical comment is that we didn't have passengers.

I'm not entirely convinced about Garlett as a defender but I thought he did OK tonight.  He didn't take crepe from Stringer, delivered a solid hip and shoulder and played his part in some positive ball movement out of defence.

There's a long way to go but there's a lot to like about the way we played tonight.

As you say, you get the feeling these blokes are starting to play for each other....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #118
As you say, you get the feeling these blokes are starting to play for each other....

Right on, our culture change was noticeable and for me the most encouraging thing about the game. There was much to smile about.  :)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #119
Main highlights well covered... Walsh, Cripps, SPS.
My lesser highlights:
Cunningham. I heard a lot about him on the forums, but couldnt really remember why there was so much love. He reminded me last night. Looked great, and gee he has some pace.
Weiters. A really different look about him. Looked more confident, but he didnt look as laconic, seemed to have more intensity and "oomph".
Our forward pressure was great. Something we've lacked for a couple of years. Jack has improved his tackling greatly and laid a couple of beauties.