Skip to main content
Topic: JLT Round 1 - Blues v Hird's Old Crew (this Thursday, Princes Park) (Read 25466 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: JLT Round 1 - Blues v Hird's Old Crew (this Thursday, Princes Park)

Reply #135
Not sure about this point... I was really happy that his last quarter was one of his best.

Whilst an extremely classy looking player generally, I find his disposals sometimes look a bit weak or unadventurous. Certainly rarely what I would call "damaging". He seems to favour the shorter, safer options by foot. More damaging by hand I think with his close in quick gives?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #136
Whilst an extremely classy looking player generally, I find his disposals sometimes look a bit weak or unadventurous. Certainly rarely what I would call "damaging". He seems to favour the shorter, safer options by foot. More damaging by hand I think with his close in quick gives?

I've noticed that too, Cookie. Rarely has much 'penetration'. Not sure whether it's skill-related or a confidence thing. Walsh looks a lot more inclined to mix up the lines by foot, so far.

Reply #137
Heraldsun today reviewing the game called them the Baby Bombers.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #138
It was one small step but a damned significant one if we continue on a similar path into round 1.

It actually looked like a team out there

Reply #140
Heraldsun today reviewing the game called them the Baby Bombers.

Pre-game the media described both teams as "Near full strength!"
The Force Awakens!

Reply #141
Pre-game the media described both teams as "Near full strength!"
Exactly.

http://www.jockreynolds.com.au/2019/02/28/essendon-vs-carlton-jlt-review/

Notable absentees

Carlton: Sam Docherty, Alex Fasolo, Matthew Kreuzer, Caleb Marchbank, Matthew Kennedy, Levi Casboult, Hugh Goddard, Darcy Lang, Jarrod Pickett, Tom Williamson, Liam Stocker

Essendon: Mary Gleeson, Cale Hooker, Tom Bellchambers, Orazio Fantasia, David Myers, Matt Dea

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #142
I for one am more than pleased that Joe D doesn't play for us... a more overhyped player I'm yet to see.

And if I was paying $900 K p.a. I'd want to see more from Shiel. 

Baby bombers my bum......"baby bombers" is another HS myth - their '93 side was as old and as experienced as ours. So they have pulled out this old chestnut to cover an unexpected loss over a less vaunted opponent?  Didn't they play 28 and we played 23?  Any mention of that?

One thing that worried me is  how they scored their goals - too many complete possession chains from defence and too often sneaking out the back.  Need to remember that for next time and be ready for it.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #143
They got a lot of drive out of defence from McKenna and Saad.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #144
Who was tasked with curtailing those two?  I thought that was the job of our flankers and "small forward" unit?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #146
They got a lot of drive out of defence from McKenna and Saad.

I would have said that they got some drive out of defence from McKenna and Saad.  Unfortunately, the few times they did break the lines ended up with the ball out the back and easy goals.

I thought we did very well at forcing Essendon to go down the line and often ending up out of bounds.

It’s still a work in progress but the basics are there.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #147
Did anyone notice whenever Cripps got the ball his matenlittle fish wasn’t far away, they look for each other those two.

Love it

Reply #148
Agree with an earlier comment about Garlett...not sure he's suited to a defensive role. On more than one occasion yesterday he tried to take mark of the century and left his opponent over the back to get easy balls. He's got pace but just doesn't seem to have a defensive nature to his game and his kicking lets him down at times too.

Of our blokes out, I would probably only think Kruezer, Marchbank, Fasolo (fit) and maybe Kennedy would be in the possible best 22 this year...obviously Docherty out for the season.

But a very encouraging performance and the midfield looked 100% better than anything from last year.

Reply #149
From what I saw last night and heard about his game against hawthorn he was much better. We have him covered up forward now with gibbons possibly and it’s worth a shot.

IMO he didn’t look out of place.