Skip to main content
Topic: R1 Carlton vs Power After-match Aftermath (Read 79907 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: R1 Carlton vs Power After-match Aftermath

Reply #135
F me. 8 pages of the same "sky is falling" crud over and over again. We dropped the first game of the season to a team who were semi-finalists last year (nearly prelim finalists).

We were 3-0 last year and nearly made the finals without the help of drug-cheating scum.

At times tonight we played the type of football that is going to bring us into contention. I thought it was an improvement on last year.

Yr wasting your breath here mate...  The club might aswell tank now and plan for 2018...  Haven't you heard?? We're gone. 2014 is lost already.  ;)

Fact is guys, we have the same old issues again so nothing has changed hence the negativity. Conceding runs of goals again, unable to sustain four quarters of pressure.

Remember what I said in the pre=game? If we can't sustain four quarters of pressure they'll roll us, all I asked for was four quarters of consistent pressure. We are not kids it isn't beyond us. I reckon we provided about 40 minutes of that and that's all. If that's all we can muster for the first game of the season and you guys think that's ok well then I'm sorry but you're part of the problem.

34 tackles in the first half and just two halfway through the third quarter. Does that not ring alarm bells in your head? Conceded 6 goals twice in under 60 minutes of football. In the first round. We literally gave up twice in less than 60 minutes of football.

Of all the teams in the comp I'd say we are in the worst position of all bar St Kilda. But hey at least they have real leader in Reiwoldt so whoever comes through the ranks will develop. We have nothing nada.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #136
How much I hate going to Etihard I can't begin to tell you. Then to have to go there on a school night just craps me even more, especially when you think it will most probably end in tears.
Boy there's certainly a couple of common themes going on here.
Bad recruiting, well when you look back all our number one picks they all were universally regarded the ones that were number 1. Unfortunately they seem to have stagnated. Kreuzer is just completely shot at the moment and I think Murph has had too many shots to the head.  A bit gun shy in my opinion. Gibbs is classy enough but lacks the grunt. I do however agree we have been drafting just about every bloke in football history who a) can't kick, b)has no pace or c) both of a & b. Really can't fault guys like Robbo or Bell for their effort but if they're lucky enough to get the ball the effect is counter productive at the best of times.
Even getting Judd and Carrots back won't address  a & b. Most frustrating thing about last night is in the 3 games I've seen we haven't been able to run out the game? WTF, what's this new conditioning coach from Collingwood doing then? Saving us for the 2nd half of the year perhaps when we'll be 2 and 9.
My God we have a new Paul Bower in Watson playing for this club. How does a beanpole like Weshoff our muscle you. It was a pathetic as anything I've seen for many a year. I'd rather have Rowe ahead of Watson at this stage.
Let's try and find 5 blokes who can kick under pressure and give the likes of Robbo, Bell, McInnes etc a break. Even a guy like Curnow who is playing his best football at the moment can't be relied on to deliver but at least he's playing well.
I hope Thomas' kicking isn't related to his ankle because if it is we've blown another 700k down the gurgler.
Would like to add more but need to get some work done!

Reply #137
Most frustrating thing about last night is in the 3 games I've seen we haven't been able to run out the game? WTF, what's this new conditioning coach from Collingwood doing then? Saving us for the 2nd half of the year

This is a point i meant to bring up.

Traditionally at Collingwood, under Malthouse/Buttifant, their training loads meant that they peaked towards the end of the season. Could never win a game in April could the pies, but were always thereabouts come finals time. Hopefully, this is some kind of excuse for where we are at physically by comparison to Port.

Reply #138
I told you guys.  We are simply not as good as we all hoped we would become and that wont change while 25% of our team impersonate the invisible man and play selfish football.

Yep.
The first quarter we look good supporting one another and playing as a team. Second quarter Westhoff starts dominating, the heads go down and blokes are looking around for someone to blame....after that it's every man for himself.

11 o'clock eh?

I turn sixty in a couple of weeks...it suddenly dawned on me, there's a fair chance I may have seen my last Carlton flag. That's not an hysterical response but more a sad realisation that there still seems to be heaps of work to do with this side. There seems to be little improvement from last year and none of our players (maybe Curnow and Ellard) showed anything to suggest that their 2014 will be better than their 2013....in fact it was the opposite.

Now things can turn around pretty quickly for a football club...the problem for us is that it seems not to be in our make-up. The quick turn around is something that Carlton teams of the 21st Century don't do.

Reply #139
I think we all have a right to be pretty annoyed at that showing. The 1st qtr and I was really pleased with our efforts, very happy in fact at how we contolled the game. We havent done that for while! I thought it may last but it did not and we got squashed!!

Only round 1 but its the way we lost and to who - a team we thought we would be vying for a finals spot with.

Port Adelaide are that far ahead of us it doesnt matter. They didnt have their best key defender in FB Carlile either yet still manage to setup defence so well.

So many good kids/younger blokes in the key position/tall flanker spots down back for starters - Carlile, Trengove, Jonas, Hombsch, Clurey, O'Shea and Stevenson. And then you have Westhoff who can go back there also!

Port Adelaide we all laughed at and thought they would take forever to get back to being a decent footy club and team. They have shown Carlton and our arrogance just how it is done - they have shown the whole AFL how it is done in fact!

Port have blown past Carlton and we are left coughing on their dust! They are miles aheda of us right now and their list is much better for the future too!

I did say we should have cut deeper in the offseason and go more inventive and I am really unsure if we have made the right calls in recent seasons including the one just past - too many list cloggers still! And a team that is so-called a contender or finals aspirant cannot have that many list cloggers.

We also have too many blokes where we have a ? mark next to their name in bold.

Right now as it stands....I am in so rush to sign Bryce Gibbs either.

Matty Kreuzer....dont get me started.

Mitch Robinson under pressure coughing up the ball...again....goes hard I know but not sure he is part of our next flag and for me that is where it is all at!

Watson, McInnes.....the list keeps going.

Reply #140
To tell you the truth - I think the writing is on the wall early in the season and id much rather games into others than the ones we rolled out last night.

The cupboard is pretty bare but id like to see a few others at some point soon getting games.

Reply #141
I told you guys.  We are simply not as good as we all hoped we would become and that wont change while 25% of our team impersonate the invisible man and play selfish football.

Yep.
The first quarter we look good supporting one another and playing as a team. Second quarter Westhoff starts dominating, the heads go down and blokes are looking around for someone to blame....after that it's every man for himself.

11 o'clock eh?

I turn sixty in a couple of weeks...it suddenly dawned on me, there's a fair chance I may have seen my last Carlton flag. That's not an hysterical response but more a sad realisation that there still seems to be heaps of work to do with this side. There seems to be little improvement from last year and none of our players (maybe Curnow and Ellard) showed anything to suggest that their 2014 will be better than their 2013....in fact it was the opposite.

Now things can turn around pretty quickly for a football club...the problem for us is that it seems not to be in our make-up. The quick turn around is something that Carlton teams of the 21st Century don't do.

On the positive side, with modern medicine Lods you should push into the 90's.

Reply #142
Most frustrating thing about last night is in the 3 games I've seen we haven't been able to run out the game? WTF, what's this new conditioning coach from Collingwood doing then? Saving us for the 2nd half of the year

Traditionally at Collingwood, under Malthouse/Buttifant, their training loads meant that they peaked towards the end of the season. Could never win a game in April could the pies, but were always thereabouts come finals time. Hopefully, this is some kind of excuse for where we are at physically by comparison to Port.

Colingwood won 7 of their first 8 in 2010 and their first 6 in 2011.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #143

Colingwood won 7 of their first 8 in 2010 and their first 6 in 2011.

That's good because they'll look super fit and good on their end of season trip in September
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #144
To tell you the truth - I think the writing is on the wall early in the season and id much rather games into others than the ones we rolled out last night.

The cupboard is pretty bare but id like to see a few others at some point soon getting games.

The cupboard isnt bare its on a slow heat.

Watch this space.  Nick Graham and Cachia are chomping at the bit to play senior footy, and on last nights effort will play against Richmond and expect Nick Graham to have a VERY good game!
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #145
... Casboults Rucking is pretty good, so he's not just in there to play forward...

Casboult's rucking is poo when he is at his best!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #146

The cupboard isnt bare its on a slow heat.

Watch this space.  Nick Graham and Cachia are chomping at the bit to play senior footy, and on last nights effort will play against Richmond and expect Nick Graham to have a VERY good game!

Pffft. Graham and Cachia. They are our saviours? God help us.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #147
The real problem is not recruiting per se, it's the player development after they come to the club.

This thread is filled with criticism of Bell and Robbo, much of it unfortunately justified. Back when Bell and Robbo were recruited, the club clearly had a very soft midfield - recruiting a couple of tough nuts was the right thing to do. If you read this site and the old one over the years, there have been plenty of wraps for Robbo and to a lesser extent Bell over the journey. And plenty on here were very happy when we got them.

You can only choose from what is available. Gun AFL players are not a dime a dozen. You can't just waltz into the marketplace and order a couple of Sammy Mitchells, a couple of Joel Selwoods, a Roughie and fries to go. The club did the right thing at the time.

The fact that they (and others) haven't come on and improved is the really worrying thing for mine.

Reply #148
The real problem is not recruiting per se, it's the player development after they come to the club.

This thread is filled with criticism of Bell and Robbo, much of it unfortunately justified. Back when Bell and Robbo were recruited, the club clearly had a very soft midfield - recruiting a couple of tough nuts was the right thing to do. If you read this site and the old one over the years, there have been plenty of wraps for Robbo and to a lesser extent Bell over the journey. And plenty on here were very happy when we got them.

You can only choose from what is available. Gun AFL players are not a dime a dozen. You can't just waltz into the marketplace and order a couple of Sammy Mitchells, a couple of Joel Selwoods, a Roughie and fries to go. The club did the right thing at the time.

The fact that they (and others) haven't come on and improved is the really worrying thing for mine.

That's right. And that's why we got Kreuz; we had a real perceived ruck problem at the time. Now either we made poor choices in terms of talent or we have failed in the development, or maybe a bit of both?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #149
Its time like these you realise how much of our problems over the years Judd was able to mask. He carried us on his own, our three no.1 draft picks cant even carry us for one game.

Will be mostly going to games this year to watch Juddy as it most likely will be Judd's last season as we are nowhere near it.