Skip to main content
Topic: Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 5: Carlton vs Western BUlldogs (Read 27913 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 5: Carlton vs Western BUlldogs

Reply #90
What Teague may have achieved in the past is irrelevant. It’s what he does with our forward line now that is critical.

Agreed, and under different playing conditions. We almost have to disregard the past performances of coaches given the current rules have had such a dramatic effect, admittedly coach driven.

It's like the game is the meat in the sandwich at the moment, stuck between control freak coaches and control freak administration.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #91
I'll help Teague out.....play Zac Fisher as the small pressure forward, can kick goals, tackles well and has been getting a bit of attention in the midfield from taggers anyway so
it might help his game and the team if we start him deep forward and see what happens.
We have plenty of mid options to cover him and we need goals to win games......lets try and be proactive rather than reactive for a change.

Reply #92
I'll help Teague out.....play Zac Fisher as the small pressure forward, can kick goals, tackles well and has been getting a bit of attention in the midfield from taggers anyway so
it might help his game and the team if we start him deep forward and see what happens.
We have plenty of mid options to cover him and we need goals to win games......lets try and be proactive rather than reactive for a change.

I sort of agree, but I don't think we have plenty of cover.

I think the problem might be when we do not win the football, many of our other mid options are dead slow by comparison, opponents just run off them even the captain! Otherwise swap Ed for Fish in a heartbeat!

On a separate issue, I think we made a huge blunder when Docherty went down, we should have publicly announced a replacement 2IC. To me Cripps is the emotional captain, and he plays like that to a very high standard, but he's not the clinical finisher / tactician we also need. Cripps as a solo captain to me is like if the Dawks had given Hodge the job before he was ready, it was either good design or good luck Hodge spent a few years under Mitchell. Mitchell was the clinical tactician type before the emotive Hodge got the gig! Cripps will grow into the role, but he could have used some help short term!

But who EB1, what type of 2IC, someone to also grow or someone who has already been there?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #93
I sort of agree, but I don't think we have plenty of cover.

I think the problem might be when we do not win the football, many of our other mid options are dead slow by comparison, opponents just run off them even the captain! Otherwise swap Ed for Fish in a heartbeat!

On a separate issue, I think we made a huge blunder when Docherty went down, we should have publicly announced a replacement 2IC. To me Cripps is the emotional captain, and he plays like that to a very high standard, but he's not the clinical finisher / tactician we also need. Cripps as a solo captain to me is like if the Dawks had given Hodge the job before he was ready, it was either good design or good luck Hodge spent a few years under Mitchell. Mitchell was the clinical tactician type before the emotive Hodge got the gig! Cripps will grow into the role, but he could have used some help short term!

But who EB1, what type of 2IC, someone to also grow or someone who has already been there?

Daisy Thomas......he isnt Hodge but he has won a premiership , been part of a successful club and is respected by the playing group IMO....

Reply #94
Daisy Thomas......he isnt Hodge but he has won a premiership , been part of a successful club and is respected by the playing group IMO....

Fair enough, and I agree. But I think he ejected himself form the leadership group a couple of seasons back, maybe he's a leader without needing the title anyway!

What about a kid or marginal player we wanted to see grow, do we have one, Weitering, SPS, Fisher, Plowman perhaps even Jones! I was surprised to read Jones is so analytical, I'd not read that as part of his personality before.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #95
Trying to use Charlie up the ground thru the midfield I reckon works against us more then it works.

I know he has been below his best but when he is on he is unpredictable and exciting talent and a massive team lifter, and regardless of his form he would worry opposition teams a lot more when he roaming around within goal scoring range.

He may have the tank for playing more thru the middle of the ground but he is far too often a liability with decision making and execution to warrant much game time there. Seems like the type of footballer that when he has too many options he gets lost and overthinks it

Get him starting closer to goal - take a few big grabs and kick straight. We need to score more and he needs his confidence back. Playing deep should help both those issues.

Reply #96

In other words, swap Gibbons for Fisher and work to both their strengths!!! (Maybe I should be a line coach, because that was hard to work out!!)

Reply #97
Not Daisy....We need an 'enforcer' captain who can stand up in finals and dish out some punishment. Voss-like. Someone with balls who can run through a pack or player if the situation calls.
Maybe Schumacher or Stocker once they bulk up. We have to consider that Cripps may not be at the club long Term.

Reply #98

Trying to use Charlie up the ground thru the midfield I reckon works against us more then it works.

I know he has been below his best

Watched quarters 2 and 3 again last night (couldn't stomach 4th quarter) and Charlie dropped a couple but also moved up the ground and took 9 marks (more than any GC player and equal 3rd for us).  He was also crucified by our players when he was in the forward 50 and we were streaming down field, given donuts.

Also, he 'recovered' from a 2 - 3 week injury in one week, which means he could have still been feeling some effects.

All in all, Charlie will start to influence games again when we work out how to kick it to him properly and when McGov, McKay and he team up to combine together to maxmise each players strengths. 

Reply #99
Not Daisy....We need an 'enforcer' captain who can stand up in finals and dish out some punishment. Voss-like. Someone with balls who can run through a pack or player if the situation calls.
Maybe Schumacher or Stocker once they bulk up. We have to consider that Cripps may not be at the club long Term.

We dont have an enforcer on the list other than Cripps who will fly the flag, even our rucks dont play a tough game like some of the other ruckman...

Schumacher isnt that style and either is Stocker......

If you want an enforcer you will need to recruit one and these days they have to be able to hold their place in the team as footballers too...

Reply #100
Fair enough, and I agree. But I think he ejected himself form the leadership group a couple of seasons back, maybe he's a leader without needing the title anyway!

What about a kid or marginal player we wanted to see grow, do we have one, Weitering, SPS, Fisher, Plowman perhaps even Jones! I was surprised to read Jones is so analytical, I'd not read that as part of his personality before.

LP..Weitering is a logical leader as he can play the game at a high level, is a smart operator on and off the field but you would hate to mess with his head and inflict more responsibility on him after
he went through a down period and we now have him back where we want him.

Jones...food for thought...for a bloke who has been a haphazard footballer he is quite grounded off the field and dare I say it a bit smarter than he looks...

Reply #101
In other words, swap Gibbons for Fisher and work to both their strengths!!! (Maybe I should be a line coach, because that was hard to work out!!)

Gibbons is an awful kick, it's his biggest weakness.

Gibbons kicked at VFL level like Dow is currently kicking at AFL level, and it doesn't get any easier! I've seen him on the fast break entering F50 almost unattended by AFL standards, in miles of free space, miss the points by 10m! I've watched him stream into F50 get only 30m on the run and not make the distance!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #102

I reckon you are spot on there EB.

Fisher could be a gun small forward. Give him a go.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #103

So it's a war between Teague and Barker who lands the Fish?

PS; Does the 2019 version of Fish have a right side?

One out of the box, how about playing the talented young HBs we have a plenty off the HBF, and put Simmo inside F50? Before the recent form of Jones and Weitering it probably wasn't an option, but I think it is now and Simmo will spot up team-mates and not panic.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #104

I agree. The problem is he could also be a gun outside mid. So it's another of those robbing Peter to pay me scenarios.