Skip to main content
Topic: Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 5: Carlton vs Western BUlldogs (Read 27446 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 5: Carlton vs Western BUlldogs

Reply #120
I'll let you in on a secret, Bolton doesnt know this one either, keep it to yourself.
Ready, Gibbons is a midfielder, bet that surprised you?? won two Listons playing as a mid.....You thought he was a small forward and Brendon thinks he is a tall marking target.

I'll let YOU in on a secret. We have no fit small forward types available, so we have to play someone out of position.

Why not let it be the guy who kicked 2 in 2 minutes in his first ever run in an AFL (albeit preseason) match?

I take your point about him being a mid, but he obviously has smarts and has proved he can kick a goal, so that puts him above all other options for that role.

Also, don't lash out at Bolton for players kicking it long to Gibbons. Lash out at the forwards coach for allowing the forwards to give Gibbons the prime position to the approaching mid.

Reply #121
For some reason I cannot explain, I have a feeling there is going to be a very different feel about the Blues this week.  Last week's horror may actually be the pinpoint time we will all remember that this side started to come of age.

Fingers crossed.....
I hope you're right Tonyo because I actually feel the opposite. I thought that loss was soul destroying and we would have been better off being belted by 100pts. Whats strange for me is that someone like Nick Riewoldt says we have been in every game and could have won each one of them. Whilst thats probably correct, to me it would be a mighty effort to front up this week and turn it around enough for a win. You never know, its all up to the players as Cripps said today.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #122
If Gibbons is a natural at getting to the right place in the F50 to jag a mark, then surely one of the talls can just shadow him and get to the right place and mark it instead.

Reply #123
I'll let YOU in on a secret. We have no fit small forward types available, so we have to play someone out of position.

Why not let it be the guy who kicked 2 in 2 minutes in his first ever run in an AFL (albeit preseason) match?

I take your point about him being a mid, but he obviously has smarts and has proved he can kick a goal, so that puts him above all other options for that role.

Also, don't lash out at Bolton for players kicking it long to Gibbons. Lash out at the forwards coach for allowing the forwards to give Gibbons the prime position to the approaching mid.

Garlett is fit, Polsen is fit, Fisher and SPS have both played small forward at times.......Gibbons has been tried in 4 games in that position and failed to kick a goal....thats enough sample size to show its hasnt worked....even Ed Curnow who has minimal forward nous has been more effective.
Our midfield hasnt been that great either....Cripps aside its been the newbie Walsh who has been our next best mid...SPS has used it better than most but isnt a big ball winner.

Plenty of evidence for Gibbons to be tried in his preferred position......if you watched him play in the VFL you would have seen Gibbons kicked goals by drifting down forward while playing as a midfielder but not as a permanent forward.

After the first forward thrust went to Gibbons the message should have gone out about where to kick the ball and where not to kick the ball, sure Teague is the forward coach but Bolton is meant to be coaching the team and has overall responsibility, maybe we have a breakdown in the coaches communication as well as the players or maybe Robert Walls has taken over unofficially...at the end of the day its Bolton officially steering the ship and setting the course....
When you are 3 from 36 and making Mark Neeld look a genius tactically then a gentle lashing is the least of your problems.I guess we can look forward to Bontempelli running around on his own for 100 mins this week too. Oh yeah thats right the excuse is development...about the only thing we have developed is a losing mentality unfortunately.

Reply #124
Gibbons ran 17km in one of our games.

That is why he's been getting a lot more of the ball than Polson, etc. He's got a midfielder's tank which he's using to pretty good effect. The goals will come. He kicked 3 in a JLT game.

He probably misses Cunningham - if I remember correctly he fed 2 of Gibbo's goals to him.

Reply #125

That is why he's been getting a lot more of the ball than Polson, etc. He's got a midfielder's tank which he's using to pretty good effect. The goals will come. He kicked 3 in a JLT game.

He probably misses Cunningham - if I remember correctly he fed 2 of Gibbo's goals to him.

Fair point..small forwards can hunt in pairs ie Eddie/Cameron from the crows...no Cameron now and Eddie is less effective..

Reply #126
Teague is the forward coach. I would have thought he would have more control over the way the forwards are playing.
I don't think BB is solely responsible for the way the team is playing.

I dont think that leading or having a high work rate is natural for McKay. My biggest knock on him when he was not getting picked was work rate, or lack thereof.
Maybe he just needs time to learn how to run patterns and work smarter.
With 3 taller options down forward, at least one of them should be in the vicinity of the goal square whenever we move forward, ready to lead out.

Reply #127
@Baggers
They play like they're nervous Baggers, jittery players make mistakes.

Exactly. And that's a symptom of not knowing what to do or having been given excessive information and are just plain confused.

...or been given contradictory information, one thing from the senior coach and another from the forward line coach... and perhaps another again from the midfield coach  :o
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #128
Fair point..small forwards can hunt in pairs ie Eddie/Cameron from the crows...no Cameron now and Eddie is less effective..

Or it could be chook running, a la Jason Tutt or the old Liam Jones!

On the game;

Lots of people are tipping us to win each week, in a circumstance that is described as an upset victory.

Does that have an effect on our opponents that leads to the post-Carlton loss syndrome? (In that clubs might be inspired by the idea of an upset loss to not lose to Carlton, making every such game a sort of mini-final!)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #129

And he’s not playing exclusively as a forward. 

I thought he played his best game last week and I would like to see him get more time in the midfield.  I think that his effectiveness will improve as his teammates adjust to his kicking limitations.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #130
And he’s not playing exclusively as a forward. 

I thought he played his best game last week and I would like to see him get more time in the midfield.  I think that his effectiveness will improve as his teammates adjust to his kicking limitations.

Particularly in last quarters where our whole midfield grinds to a halt (in every game ever) we should be utilising his running ability better.

Walsh is an incredible runner. He puts his teammates to shame the way he runs out last quarters.

Reply #131
Particularly in last quarters where our whole midfield grinds to a halt (in every game ever) we should be utilising his running ability better.

Especially when playing 4 tall forwards  ::)

Reply #132
Walsh is an incredible runner. He puts his teammates to shame the way he runs out last quarters.

Young Sammy is an incredible everything. It's almost unfair comparing other players to him. He has arms, legs, a body, a head, and a navy blue jumper, but he's clearly from another world.

Knowing our luck, some turd like a Lonergan or a Hodge will try and injure him.

Reply #133
So we've fixed whatever we did to Weitering, and as yet we haven't broken Walsh, that leaves at least 20 to go!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #134
In: Matthew Kreuzer, Cameron Polson, Jack Silvagni, Matthew Kennedy, Angus Schumacher

Out: Setterfield (susp)

Bench from:
Dale Thomas
Matthew Kreuzer
Cameron Polson
Jack Silvagni
Levi Casboult
Matthew Lobbe
Matthew Kennedy
Angus Schumacher

FM, the teacher's pet in named on the bench. Haven't we learned? I hope the final 4 are, Thomas, Kreuzer, Silvagni and Kennedy.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17