Skip to main content
Topic: R13 Hawthorn vs Carlton (Prematch Deliberations) (Read 29312 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: R13 Hawthorn vs Carlton (Prematch Deliberations)

Reply #30
If you play two slow players in Cachia and Graham then I think having players like Buckley and Armfiled in helps balance the speed ledger.
One of our strengths is our speed through the middle now with Yarran, Walker, Docherty taking the ball from defense and rebounding and I think we need to encourage more of that and have other players with speed who can give us an edge.
I was amazed Buckley was dropped.....I'd be replacing Garlett with Buckley and having SOJ play forward...I reckon he might create and kick a few goals bit like his old man did..

Like it. Same page.

Was saying to a good mate at the NBs game yesterday that I would bring in SOJ for Jeffy... think I beat him by about 2 seconds to the same suggestion! Either way, Jeffy cannot be allowed to front up again after those two soft efforts in the Pussy Cats game - Dawks will have seen those and will hammer him.

Who does Juddy replace?
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #31

Who does Juddy replace?
Whoever he likes!
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #32
Love big Levi to run through Hodge and in the ensuing fight ensure our guys win it. Aside from that if we win great but in my view largely academic now for 2014.

Could be our "line in the sand" moment which I think this club needs and maybe just maybe is the start of the end of Hawthorn's dominance over us.

Reply #33
If you play two slow players in Cachia and Graham then I think having players like Buckley and Armfiled in helps balance the speed ledger.
One of our strengths is our speed through the middle now with Yarran, Walker, Docherty taking the ball from defense and rebounding and I think we need to encourage more of that and have other players with speed who can give us an edge.
I was amazed Buckley was dropped.....I'd be replacing Garlett with Buckley and having SOJ play forward...I reckon he might create and kick a few goals bit like his old man did..

Like it. Same page.

Was saying to a good mate at the NBs game yesterday that I would bring in SOJ for Jeffy... think I beat him by about 2 seconds to the same suggestion! Either way, Jeffy cannot be allowed to front up again after those two soft efforts in the Pussy Cats game - Dawks will have seen those and will hammer him.

Who does Juddy replace?

Jeffy is nowhere near as hungry as he was when he arrived as a rookie - no longer provides the forward line pressure and rarely catches anyone to lay a tackle - leave him out until he pulls his finger out.

Reply #34
Reckon Juddy will be up and about.

Could be in for a 2010/early '11 like performance.

Reply #35
Just got a sneaking suspicion that we might see Rowe start up forward and Hendo down back.  Sam is gaining confidence and actually taking marks while Hendo needs to refocus himself.  Looking after someone else might help him regain his confidence and if for some reason either or both don't work, just swap them.
(Rowe knows how to kick a goal too).

With all of the swing activity against the cats, I was amazed that the Hendo/Rowe exchange was not implemented in the 2nd term.

Reply #36

Like it. Same page.

Who does Juddy replace?

Jeffy is nowhere near as hungry as he was when he arrived as a rookie - no longer provides the forward line pressure and rarely catches anyone to lay a tackle - leave him out until he pulls his finger out.
Is also lacking fitness or speed or something. Couple of times on Friday night he couldn't even catch a corpse. Either the repeat efforts were killing him, he is injured or he couldn't give a stuff.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #37
Just got a sneaking suspicion that we might see Rowe start up forward and Hendo down back.  Sam is gaining confidence and actually taking marks while Hendo needs to refocus himself.  Looking after someone else might help him regain his confidence and if for some reason either or both don't work, just swap them.
(Rowe knows how to kick a goal too).

With all of the swing activity against the cats, I was amazed that the Hendo/Rowe exchange was not implemented in the 2nd term.

Equally amazed, Ye Rat O' the River.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #38
I reckon Mick likes to let players learning a position work it out for themselves. I see Hendo holding that position no matter what and probably won't get subbed.

Reminds me of when Harry O was getting murdered by Fev yet he left him there.

Reply #39
I am looking forward to seeing what Thomas produces in this game. Exactly the types of games we got him for.

Reply #40
Very worried about this one... another Friday night for all our weaknesses to be laid bare against our No. 1 horror side.  Even when we cover forward X another forward pops up and flogs us.  In addition, any mentally or physically suspect players will be targeted and found out.  I'm looking at you Jeffrey...

The reality is that I am not expecting to win but I am expecting a fair dinkum effort - which is a expecting a lot from this mob to back up.  Really pathetic when expecting an honest effort two weeks in a row is my greatest expectation but that is where we are at right now.   What would really get my goat is letting them pump us physically...  a real line in the sand needs to be drawn here and I'd be looking at going to war if our little blokes get dumped by the usual suspects.  We can't expect any favours from officialdom... our blokes need to be prepared to stand on their own feet and earn a bit of respect.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #41
Need to match their physicality if we re to be any change of an upset

Reply #42
Precisely... but it is also state of mind.  SOJ might be light but he doesn't play scared.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #43
IN: Buckley, Judd
OUT: ???

Reply #44
I don't know who comes in but one bloke definitely needs to go out and that is Garlett. Can't afford to play soft$$cks against the Hawks. Biggest problem I see is who will play on Roughead? Same type of player as Hawkins and even though Jammo did very well on him isn't he carrying an injury or six? Might be the night that Hendo finally stands up. Give him first crack and see if it propels him into form.
Tactically there is only one way you beat Hawthorn and that is fast effective play through the corridor. Hey, let's face it it'll beat any team. Problem with us is we don't have the foot skills and the turnovers will kill us.
If we play like we did against Geelong it should be a 6 goal loss. If we play like we did against Brisbane it'll be 12.