Skip to main content
Topic: A List with Real Potential (Read 22362 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: A List with Real Potential

Reply #15
Whether our foreard line is successful - whomever plays in it - is largely a function of the success of the midfield.

pretty simple really.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #16
So no chance of this place being a mess......

Nah
It will still be a mess ;D
...But not because we're bottom 4 ;)

On a serious note though...

Whether our foreard line is successful - whomever plays in it - is largely a function of the success of the midfield.

pretty simple really.

A lot of where we finish will be dependent on our ability to kick winning scores.
Whether that results from the midfield or an improved forward structure you would have to be confident it is one area where we can improve significantly.

Reply #17

pretty simple really.

You can have the best forwardline in the comp.....if your midfield is no good....chances are your team is no good.

But having a decent midfield and a crap forwardline isn't going to win you many finals matches.....if you get there at all.

Sooner or later, we need to ensure our forwardline is not reliant upon Casboults ability to put the ball through the big sticks. The longer we rely on that, the longer we waste time on rebuilding.

Reply #18
I think we probably have thinking here, one exception you're looking back, mentioning players who are gone.

Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

We've had new coaches before.
We've had new admintrators before.
We've had new....everything before.

Everytime we are convinced that THIS time its different.

Eventually, it will be different. Chances are it is now....we are due! However, i'm not counting my chickens until they are hatched and all grown up and still wearing navy blue.

We've had this debate many a time in the past. Optimistic, pessimistic.......realistic. Its all relative.

An optimist looking at a realist thinks they are a pessimist.
A pessimist looking at a realist thinks they are an optimist.
An optimist looking at another optimist thinks they are both realistic. Ditto pessimists.

I'd like to think of myself as a realist, as i'm sure everyone would. I just think people talking about our forwardline scaring oppositions when half of it has a handful of games between them is stretching the 'realism' a bit too far ;)

Reply #19
You can have the best forwardline in the comp.....if your midfield is no good....chances are your team is no good.

But having a decent midfield and a crap forwardline isn't going to win you many finals matches.....if you get there at all.

Sooner or later, we need to ensure our forwardline is not reliant upon Casboults ability to put the ball through the big sticks. The longer we rely on that, the longer we waste time on rebuilding.

Are you on the juice today because that is one daft comment!?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #20
Are you on the juice today because that is one daft comment!?

Fast forward to the end of the match, siren gone, ball in Casboults hands. Kick it, and we win......make finals....win the grand final!

How are you feeling? Confident?

Said this elsewhere.
He has the ability to win and lose us games based on how 'lucky' he is on any given day. Have a bad day and he's lucky to score. Have a good day and they might sail through. Over time, its all going to average out to how good of a kick he is. More often than not, he misses.
If we rebuild our team, but fail to improve the ability of our FF to kick accurately in front of goals (whether he learns to kick, or we replace him) then i can't see us having the ultimate success.....and thus we have failed in our rebuild.

Reply #21
Casboult may be struggling to make this side by the end of the year.

Reply #22
I see one of two scenarios playing out.

1. We improve next year, and finish somewhere close to 10th, or maybe even 8th, and we continue on our merry way.

2.  We have an ordinary year.  The natives start getting restless but our club will stay the course.  Bolton won't be the scapegoat unless something changes as we went through a process to get him.  SOS work is years away from yielding fruit meaning that we won't know if they are good or bad fruit for a few years.  So the only thing left is for the natives to turn on the only remaining remnant of the previous under performing team and trade and recruit heavily again.  The reset will be completed and then in 2018 SOS work will yield fruit and just in time to save Bolton.

I'm optimistic because I'm happy with either scenario to play out and we will continue turning things over regardless.   Ask me again next year how I'm feeling because ultimately this is just an in between year.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #23
I see one of two scenarios playing out.

1. We improve next year, and finish somewhere close to 10th, or maybe even 8th, and we continue on our merry way.

2.  We have an ordinary year.  The natives start getting restless but our club will stay the course.  Bolton won't be the scapegoat unless something changes as we went through a process to get him.  SOS work is years away from yielding fruit meaning that we won't know if they are good or bad fruit for a few years.  So the only thing left is for the natives to turn on the only remaining remnant of the previous under performing team and trade and recruit heavily again.  The reset will be completed and then in 2018 SOS work will yield fruit and just in time to save Bolton.

I'm optimistic because I'm happy with either scenario to play out and we will continue turning things over regardless.   Ask me again next year how I'm feeling because ultimately this is just an in between year.

I think Bolton will be reasonably safe from scrutiny if we do have a ordinary season in 2017 but I think SOS might be in for a harder time.....you read reviews of his drafting and there a few GWS fans who reckon he only got it right in one draft where he had all the best picks. I dont mind what he has done with the GWS players we have recruited as you have to be a bit radical when you're down but there are plenty in the media who think his over reliance on GWS discards isnt healthy and I am sure if we dont do so well that will be an area he will be criticised over..
I dont think you get too many in between years as a coach though and if bottom teams like Brisbane, Freo,Essendon, etc were to go past us then the natives will get very restless......the main issue will be if we actually drop down the ladder...staying where we are will be acceptable but bottom 4 wont be IMO...

Reply #25
I think Bolton will be reasonably safe from scrutiny if we do have a ordinary season in 2017 but I think SOS might be in for a harder time.....you read reviews of his drafting and there a few GWS fans who reckon he only got it right in one draft where he had all the best picks. I dont mind what he has done with the GWS players we have recruited as you have to be a bit radical when you're down but there are plenty in the media who think his over reliance on GWS discards isnt healthy and I am sure if we dont do so well that will be an area he will be criticised over..
I dont think you get too many in between years as a coach though and if bottom teams like Brisbane, Freo,Essendon, etc were to go past us then the natives will get very restless......the main issue will be if we actually drop down the ladder...staying where we are will be acceptable but bottom 4 wont be IMO...

No.1 - don't make up stories. We all know there is no such thing as a GWS fan.

No.2 - the overall list build job SOS did at GWS (not just drafting) was absolutely first class. Just compare it to the strategy employed at GC for an idea of how it could very easily have gone wrong. Not only did he find gun players but also enough of them who were willing to stay put. People look at the concessions and think that's it they had to succeed - that is so simplistic... and wrong. Forget go-home factor - GWS are now a destination club (Deledio, Mumford, Shaw, Griffin, Johnson, Patful, etc. etc.)

GWS didn't just succeed they smashed it and all because SOS picked apart what was on offer from the AFL and was able to magnify the benefits.

The next time a unicorn, leprechaun or GWS fan speak harshly about SOS just tell them to look at GC.

Reply #26
No.1 - don't make up stories. We all know there is no such thing as a GWS fan.

No.2 - the overall list build job SOS did at GWS (not just drafting) was absolutely first class. Just compare it to the strategy employed at GC for an idea of how it could very easily have gone wrong. Not only did he find gun players but also enough of them who were willing to stay put. People look at the concessions and think that's it they had to succeed - that is so simplistic... and wrong. Forget go-home factor - GWS are now a destination club (Deledio, Mumford, Shaw, Griffin, Johnson, Patful, etc. etc.)

GWS didn't just succeed they smashed it and all because SOS picked apart what was on offer from the AFL and was able to magnify the benefits.

The next time a unicorn, leprechaun or GWS fan speak harshly about SOS just tell them to look at GC.

You dont think he will come under scrutiny if 2017 is a poor season?....

Reply #27
Based on what we saw from our club last year, you cant be anything other than optomistic about our future.

Im 45. I've never been so optimistic about our club for as long as I can remember. .....95 was so long ago !
I bought my 1st membership when we were brought to our knees by the salary cap scandal. Cost me a fortune (reserved seat) that I really couldnt afford at the time, but I wanted to help get my club back up to the top again.
Its been a bloody long time...... a lot of quick fix mentality that at the time gave me (false) optimism.... from hiring Pagan , to hiring Malthouse and all else in between.

Its taken way too bloody long, but we finally seem to have embraced the trade and draft system. We have a board who finally.......... have members on it that are not in the news every couple of weeks ::). We have a coach who is a great teacher of young men  and one who has a solid, structured game plan . A coach and club for that matter, who are very transparant in there direction.

Even thou we lost to Rich in rd 1, I remember smiling and almost giggling nervously with excitement , at the fact we were finally playing proper football. Through the year, I've watched 3 instalments of "the journey" which gives me a little glimpse of the direction and thought processes of the coaching group and players.

This is what gives me optimism for our future.
 Improving our list slowly but surely with hard work and persistance, and without quick fixes.

I dont expect a great improvement in ladder position this year but I do expect the gap from our better performances to our worst to be a lot narrower. I expect to see more sprouts of our future through the course of the year BUT will be mightily dissapointed if we let any team , blow us away by 10 goals or more.

Ps...  Im still so pissed off that we lost to Ess in the last rd last yr.......it still burns.
That nearly had me losing my faith !!
Too little and Way too late. Pull your fingers out boys!!

Reply #28
Casboult may be struggling to make this side by the end of the year.

If he converts, his confidence increases, if his confidence increases he backs himself more and asserts himself more. If he throws his weight around up forward he may, at last, have a break out year. However, personally, when it comes to Meat, I'm a pessimist... a pessimist who believes he'll continue to tease and be an 'almost' player, but I'd be rapt to have googie all over face.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #29
If he converts, his confidence increases, if his confidence increases he backs himself more and asserts himself more. If he throws his weight around up forward he may, at last, have a break out year. However, personally, when it comes to Meat, I'm a pessimist... a pessimist who believes he'll continue to tease and be an 'almost' player, but I'd be rapt to have googie all over face.

I'll be watching with interest to see what role Levi plays next year Baggers, since he was hampered this year with his knee injuries that restricted him somewhat. Whatever the role is he will need to shape up or he will be shipped out for sure. I would like to see him play more as a forward/ruck type with some focus on marking around the ground, but who knows. Atm I'm not convinced about him as a KPF due to his poor kicking but let's see what Sav can do to help him with that.
Reality always wins in the end.