Skip to main content
Topic: A List with Real Potential (Read 22364 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: A List with Real Potential

Reply #30
I'll be watching with interest to see what role Levi plays next year Baggers, since he was hampered this year with his knee injuries that restricted him somewhat. Whatever the role is he will need to shape up or he will be shipped out for sure. I would like to see him play more as a forward/ruck type with some focus on marking around the ground, but who knows. Atm I'm not convinced about him as a KPF due to his poor kicking but let's see what Sav can do to help him with that.

If Kerr can show something then I reckon the Bolt can play second banana up forward with less pressure on him to be the main converter and he will be a better player.....I know others dont agree and its only been me and Jim who support him as a second ruckman/forward pocket but I think its where his future lies and I'd be improving his ruckwork as well as his kicking....
Given he has a one year deal its all or nothing for him this season as I reckon he will be draft bait at 2017 seasons end if he has another season like 2016...

Reply #31
I'm with you EB1.

Casboult knows he's on his last chance no question but also it's vey clear he played his best when he wasn't the only or key target up forward.

If we're kicking to one of Levi, McKay or SOJ (as the third tall) the opposition needs to find some uber tall defenders to man the first two - even a gun KPP defender like Rance is only 1.94m.

So Harry has 9cm + reach on Rance! Then who takes Casboult at 199cm?!

SOJ listed at 191cm but every chance he's grown given he was underage?

Will be interesting to see whether Kerr cracks a senior game in 2017. If he does most likely curtains for Levi, though I think he is a serviceable 2nd ruck.

Problem is with the Levi as a ruck option is do you leave ot Kreuzer or Phillips? I' say the former objectively but that's not likely in the medium term, short of injury?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #32
No.1 - don't make up stories. We all know there is no such thing as a GWS fan.

I'm afraid there is.
My wife's cousin's family are fanatical Giants supporters.
My bloody facebook feed was covered in their new recruits the other night.
Action will need to be taken >:(

(I didn't delete the GWS profiles....they'll be playing for us in two years so it will be a nice reference,)

Reply #33
Everyone keeps forgetting that Sam Rowe, can actually play forward.

I find it quite comical actually.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #34

Rowe is nowhere near as mobile as Marchbank or Plowman though.

Not sure we will move Rowe away from the back-line, he's just to well suited to the key defensive role.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #35
^^
As much as I agree with you It's horses for courses.

If we want to move away from Levi in the forward line, we can use Rowe there, provided we don't need him down back.

I am thinking of this argument more so from the perspective of Kruddlers where he stated we need to recruit forwards, why are we recruiting defenders.

The answer is that Rowe is also up there age wise and we need both moving forward.

EDITED: this Sounds more like what I wanted to say regarding Rowe.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #36
^^
As much as I agree with you It's horses for courses.

If we want to move away from Levi in the forward line, we can use Rowe there, provided we don't need him down back.

I am thinking of this argument more so from the perspective of Kruddlers where he stated we need to recruit forwards, why are we recruiting defenders.

The answer is that Rowe is also up there and we need both.

I think you will find the forward rotations and options far more dynamic than they were in the past, I doubt anyone will be pegged as the go to forward.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #37
Seems we drafted foot skills and pace as a plan and even reached to get some of them.

I have 0 problems with that.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #39

Rowe can play forward, but is best as a backman.
Weitering can play forward, but is best as a backman.
Plowman can play forward, but is best as a backman.
Marchbank can play forward, but is best as a backman.
Jaksch can play forward, but is best as a backman.
White can play forward, but is best as a backman.

Any danger we can get someone who is a better forward than they are a backman?

Reply #40

Not sure we will move Rowe away from the back-line, he's just to well suited to the key defensive role.

When he moves forward, Rowe actually knows where to lead to AND he can kicks straight.  I think next year we'll be crash, bash, get it onto the ground. 

Reply #41
Rowe can play forward, but is best as a backman.
Weitering can play forward, but is best as a backman.
Plowman can play forward, but is best as a backman.
Marchbank can play forward, but is best as a backman.
Jaksch can play forward, but is best as a backman.
White can play forward, but is best as a backman.

Any danger we can get someone who is a better forward than they are a backman?

I reckon we probably need to see how some the younger blokes go as forwards before we give them permanent labels.
Some of them might prove to be great at either end.

Reply #42
I reckon we probably need to see how some the younger blokes go as forwards before we give them permanent labels.
Some of them might prove to be great at either end.

As well they might, as SOS was himself.

If you are going to build a side, and you need a forward. You draft a forward, you don't draft a defender who might be just as good as a forward.

Just look at the way SOSOS goes about it. Pure forward. He does a quick shimmy here and he is in open space for long enough to throw the boot at it. Thats what we need from our forwards.

We tried it with Jaksch....failed.
We going to try it with Plowman, Marchbank and Weitering as well?

Reply #43
As well they might, as SOS was himself.

If you are going to build a side, and you need a forward. You draft a forward, you don't draft a defender who might be just as good as a forward.

Just look at the way SOSOS goes about it. Pure forward. He does a quick shimmy here and he is in open space for long enough to throw the boot at it. Thats what we need from our forwards.

We tried it with Jaksch....failed.
We going to try it with Plowman, Marchbank and Weitering as well?

Seems we are. ;)

I just don't think players who have less than 30-40 games in them should be pigeon-holed.
The game is full of players who started in one position and excelled at others.
In fact versatility is probably a huge advantage when building a side.
It takes out the predictability.

Reply #44
No need to panic the rebuild will evolve and if history repeats itself we will take a tall KPF next year. This adds to the all Australian KPF we added this year and Harry from last year would make three. Assuming of course they all become genuine players we should be okay.

I personally want a sustained period of success so if that means it takes longer so be it.