Skip to main content
Topic: Is there a place for Rowe? (Read 4641 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Is there a place for Rowe?

Reply #1
We have lots of defenders ;D
Some think too many ;)
Do we have a spot for this guy.
He is dependable and before he was injured was playing some career best football.

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2018-04-02/rowe-pulls-up-perfectly-in-return

For me we have three similar running HBF types vying for two spots, I'd certainly bring Rowe in and play him, Jones and Weitering as the core defensive group. Byrne being out then allows Plowman, Marchbank and Simpson to run as they are prone to do anyway.

Get the likes of SPS, Mullett, Garlett out of the D50 HBF zone, make them work further up the field because at the moment they do not push back hard enough to be reliable HBFs which leaves the other defenders vulnerable.

If Kreuzer is injured Rowe is a far better D50 ruck option than Casboult, and Rowe can fill a KPD spot. If we have to ruck Casboult, let him ruck and push forward, because he is almost useless pushing back.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2
Rowe is now a transition/backup player imo. He'll come in if and when we have a gap we can't fill due to injury or bad form, maybe KPD, ruck or even as a forward. However if our regular younger guys are fit and not playing really badly (let's try and forget last Sat!) then I think he'll be playing in the VFL.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #3
The difference between Rowe and Weitering, is that Rowe is a genuine gorilla minder. IMO the only genuine one on the list. There may be times where there is a matchup for him that nobody else on the list is capable of. There will be other times where he does not have a matchup either.

Personally, i'd like to see the side picked on a weekly basis based on who the opposition is and who they have in their team.

If that means Jones, Rowe, and or Weitering are in and out of the side, so be it.

Reply #4
The difference between Rowe and Weitering, is that Rowe is a genuine gorilla minder. IMO the only genuine one on the list. There may be times where there is a matchup for him that nobody else on the list is capable of. There will be other times where he does not have a matchup either.

Personally, i'd like to see the side picked on a weekly basis based on who the opposition is and who they have in their team.

If that means Jones, Rowe, and or Weitering are in and out of the side, so be it.

I think bottom line is that if Jones is fit and playing well Sam won't get a gig. I don't see Weiters as a gorilla minder atm - maybe later? We also have ACOS who may come into the equation?

Reply #5
We also have ACOS who may come into the equation?

Has he been nominated as Docherty's replacement, have we nominated a replacement?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #6
Rowe is now a transition/backup player imo.

I'm not going to agree, Rowe is a late starter, could easily play into his mid 30s provided he doesn't lose pace, and is playing in an era which sees 35 as the new 30.

Also I think he's a better player than you seem to be inferring.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7
Rowe as suggested can mind the bigger units and is also handy in the ruck as he often relief rucked for Norwood and has some idea about the craft......I think he will find his way back in the team as will ACOS to help add some size and experience.
Its not ideal development wise to have to go back to oldies but I reckon Bolton will concede we have too many light smaller less physical players and will want some cover which Rowe can provide. Might mean McKay doesnt have to ruck and Weitering gets an easier opponent so IMO Rowe will come back into the team in the next week or two.
Maybe vs Nth....

Reply #8
Rowe as suggested can mind the bigger units and is also handy in the ruck as he often relief rucked for Norwood and has some idea about the craft......I think he will find his way back in the team as will ACOS to help add some size and experience.
Its not ideal development wise to have to go back to oldies but I reckon Bolton will concede we have too many light smaller less physical players and will want some cover which Rowe can provide. Might mean McKay doesnt have to ruck and Weitering gets an easier opponent so IMO Rowe will come back into the team in the next week or two.
Maybe vs Nth....

Jones isn't the answer on big guys like Buddy or Lynch, having conceded bags against both, so we definitely need a Rowe or ACOS on these types.

Reply #9
Has he been nominated as Docherty's replacement, have we nominated a replacement?
Rules have changed I believe, Cat A rookies can play anytime, dont have to wait for an LTI.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #10
Jones isn't the answer on big guys like Buddy or Lynch, having conceded bags against both, so we definitely need a Rowe or ACOS on these types.

Agree...you need options and experience, Jones is a goer but he lacks experience as a defender and makes some basic errors at times...
Rowe gives you a few options..KP defender, relief ruck, KP Forward if required, might also mean Jones can be used in different areas of the ground too to add some bite...
Port like to use Westhoff in this type of role where he fills holes and covers bases.....they now have him playing on the wing given their riches in talent and he is dominating games getting
 a lot of the ball, bit of part time rucking and moving forward. Be nice if a player like Jones could assume that role for us....

Reply #11
Our backline is looking extremely unsettled without Docherty.

We need to get back as many players who have played together quick smart because our current defensive unit is showing a lack of cohesion that results in lots of instability.

Sometimes it's not about what an individual can do himself but rather the effect on those around him.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #12
I'm not going to agree, Rowe is a late starter, could easily play into his mid 30s provided he doesn't lose pace, and is playing in an era which sees 35 as the new 30.

Also I think he's a better player than you seem to be inferring.

We are rebuilding and I just don't think the club will see Sam as a long term prospect. I don't have anything against him as a player tbh but I think the club wants to move focus to a younger group. I accept he might get a few cameos over the next year or two.

Reply #13
Agree...you need options and experience, Jones is a goer but he lacks experience as a defender and makes some basic errors at times...
Rowe gives you a few options..KP defender, relief ruck, KP Forward if required, might also mean Jones can be used in different areas of the ground too to add some bite...
Port like to use Westhoff in this type of role where he fills holes and covers bases.....they now have him playing on the wing given their riches in talent and he is dominating games getting
 a lot of the ball, bit of part time rucking and moving forward. Be nice if a player like Jones could assume that role for us....

Jones is gaining experience all the time EB, especially playing behind our midfield atm.

Reply #14
Yes,  Rowe back ASAP.  We must get our back six reorganised  ASAP and he is a key component.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?