Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2019 Rd 10: Northern Blues vs. Coburg at Preston (Read 7444 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2019 Rd 10: Northern Blues vs. Coburg at Preston

Reply #45
I agree, Kennedy and SoJ both have a footy brain and I suspect the discipline of tagging suits their focused way of going about stuff!

Plus, if or when we manage to get on a roll they are players who can also make themselves dangerous and hit the scoreboard!

Given recent insights into Jones and how he goes about preparation, I wonder if he could tag someone like Dangerfield or Bontempelli, he's got the speed and strength, when he was rucking at VFL level he looked OK in traffic?

Yes Jones at VFL level when rucking was like another mid.

Reply #46
Kennedy needs to work on his endurance base if he's going to tag.   Needs to get to more contests and stay with the top players,  none of whom you'd call less than elite athletes.

I've seen a bit from Setterfield to suggest he could be handy.   Kicks the ball to smart places, and involved in a lot of scores.  Still needs to tidy disposal,  work on pace and agility.

Yes Kennedy does need to improve his endurance. One way to find out what's required, go with the best of the best to take you from contest to contest time and again.

Reply #47
Setterfield makes good decisions and his disposal around the ground is good. However, he really has the yips when it comes to kicking at goal. In his career he has had 9 or 10 attempts for 1 goal. Look at him and he doesn't want to be taking the shot: he tenses up very noticeably.
Nor is he alone. He (and more than a few others) should be spending a lot of time with the kicking coach kicking for goal until he gets it right.
He also needs at least another pre-season to get as fit as he needs to be. He is more on the pace now, but he is nowhere near his best as yet.

Kennedy also needs a lot more work, especially on his endurance and intensity. If he can tackle like Cripps, he will be so much better as a player. His kicking appears to have improved quite a lot, but he also tenses up when kicking at the big sticks.

One of the things I liked a lot about Cripps last weekend was that he wanted to take shots at goal, a big difference to the past. He not only took the responsibility, but he was clearly comfortable about it.

If there is a question about Patrick Kerr, it is about his kicking. He is very much a confidence player whose kicking can be really good or terrible. When he got his senior games last year he really had the yips.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #48
For mine Kennedy just doesn't do enough. Had a chance in the game against Essendon when conditions were greasy and it called for contested ball, working hard inside....especially when Cripps was getting tagged out of it....and he got 8 possessions! Setterfield just looks like a better player than Kennedy at the moment but yes, his goal kicking needs work but he's not alone.

Reply #49
For mine Kennedy just doesn't do enough. Had a chance in the game against Essendon when conditions were greasy and it called for contested ball, working hard inside....especially when Cripps was getting tagged out of it....and he got 8 possessions! Setterfield just looks like a better player than Kennedy at the moment but yes, his goal kicking needs work but he's not alone.

x2....Kennedy needs a new position, he could be a good half back flanker IMO...
If we bring in another couple of established mids and Deluca fires up then his days on ball are numbered IMO but he hasnt that luxury of being tried in different positions
like some other players. His past has been injury hit and I think he needs to get away from the onball stuff and find a fixed position.
Setterfield is very promising, can win his own ball and just needs some more weight and games, goal kicking isnt a worry IMO, just need him to get slicker
by hand and foot so he really hurts teams when he gets the ball. Needs to start in the middle with Cripps and learn from the best.....

Reply #50
As each week passes Setterfield reminds me more and more of Jab Watson, when Setterfield gains weight and strength he will play very similar game style!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #51
As each week passes Setterfield reminds me more and more of Jab Watson, when Setterfield gains weight and strength he will play very similar game style!

Would need some major buttock development in the preseason!  :)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #52
Equality of opportunity, not equality of outcome.

Setters is showing more than Kennedy? When was that?

Must have missed it....

A fit Kennedy is far from slow. he can play inside or outside and play forward....and he's a footballer.

And he can hit the door of a barn unlike Dow who misses the entire side!

Setterfield has played 8 games this year and averages almost 17 touches a game.
Kennedy has played 2 games and averages 12...with a high of only 16.

So yeah, you missed it.

As for the side, you simply don't pick your 22 most talented players.
You pick 22 players that give you the best chance of winning.
Otherwise you might have 19 midfielders and 3 key backs.

Look, i was pushing for Kennedy to get a game as much as the next guy, but he just didn't deliver. He isn't fit enough, fast enough, or physical enough to demand a spot in the best 22 at this stage.

Reply #53
Setterfield has played 8 games this year and averages almost 17 touches a game.
Kennedy has played 2 games and averages 12...with a high of only 16.

So yeah, you missed it.

As for the side, you simply don't pick your 22 most talented players.
You pick 22 players that give you the best chance of winning.
Otherwise you might have 19 midfielders and 3 key backs.

Look, i was pushing for Kennedy to get a game as much as the next guy, but he just didn't deliver. He isn't fit enough, fast enough, or physical enough to demand a spot in the best 22 at this stage.

Ah, but how unlike you to miss the point - equality of opportunity.

Dow, Setterfield, LOB gifted games (particularly the last two) even when the contribute jack...Dow's kicking is so bad he should play 2s until it is fixed.

Kennedy gets left in the seconds for an eternity (even when Setters out), then dumped after 2 games, 1` of which everyone was utterly dismal....

Thirty possession last week yet will be overlooked again....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #54
Ah, but how unlike you to miss the point - equality of opportunity.

Dow, Setterfield, LOB gifted games (particularly the last two) even when the contribute jack...Dow's kicking is so bad he should play 2s until it is fixed.

Kennedy gets left in the seconds for an eternity (even when Setters out), then dumped after 2 games, 1` of which everyone was utterly dismal....

Thirty possession last week yet will be overlooked again....

Equality of opportunity is a lovely phrase.

Perhaps you could work out what that means exactly.

If Kreuzer is playing well in the 1's. and Phillips and Lobbe are getting BOGs in the 2's, do we pick them all to play ones? They are the best performed players after all and deserve a game yes? No. 1 spot (2 at best available) and until they outperform Kreuzer, they could win the VFL B+F, but won't get a game.

Same thing with Kennedy.

Bigger bodied, inside mid position
1. Cripps
2. Curnow
3. Setterfield
4. Kennedy.

We can not have 4 in the same side, so we take the best 3.

We do not pick Kennedy ahead of Lob, Dow or Mitch McGovern.....because they play a different role!

If Kennedy can turn into a small forward, he might get a game.
If Kennedy can become an elite runner with sublime foot skills, he might get a game.
Based on his current output, he does not push anyone out of the side playing a similar role.

Geddit?

Reply #55
 ::) ::) :-[
Finals, then 4 in a row!