Skip to main content
Topic: AAMI Community Match vs Melbourne (Read 5347 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AAMI Community Match vs Melbourne

Reply #15
Has Casey taken its foot off the pedal?

45 - 74 in the last ...

Doc had 38 disposals!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #16
We do need some outside run and none of those above give us breakaway pace. For that reason I think it’s a mistake not investing more time in Dow.
That's where the likes of O'Brien, Fisher, Martin coming off the wings with saad and Williams coming g off half back help. They're all your outside types. The players Iisted were more grunt types in the middle who get a gig ahead of Dow.

Reply #17
We do need some outside run and none of those above give us breakaway pace. For that reason I think it’s a mistake not investing more time in Dow.
Leigh Montagna & Nick Riewoldt have separately talked about what they see as the prime mission of Voss in the preseason: fixing the inability to defend. In the Season Preview on Fox Footy, Riewoldt summed it up by saying "Carlton is a team that refused to defend". He said the behind-the-goals vision was horrible (including from Cripps) and noted Teague repeatedly stated at every press conference that this wasn't the way they wanted to defend and yet the players refused to buy in. He argued that Aaron Hamill, who was in charge of team defence at St Kilda, has presumably brought that system across and Voss will be the driver of culture & standards. Accordingly, the extent to which the players buy in will determine Carlton's year rather than the talent which isn't the problem. Montagna on SEN reviewing the last practice match said he noted that the man-on-man defence has been replaced by a system which offers more protection.

Obviously, Riewoldt & Montagna are just 2 ex-players and they just have their own opinions. But if Voss did come in with a plan to impose a defensive system the players would accept, where would Dow fit into it? It wouldn't be surprising if he turns to guys like Hewitt, Cerra, Kennedy & Ed Curnow to build that sort of system, particularly when the most hard-working mid in Walsh is unavailable. Having a guy with pace like Dow is more like the cherry on top when that system is bedded down.

Dow also lacks a bit of confidence, so allowing him to find some form in the VFL isn't such a bad idea.     

Reply #18
I've heard that Doc had 39 disposals, I believe Ed had a similar bounty the week before, that is how AFL players are supposed to play when they go down to VFL, I hope some of our younger blokes took notice.

This is probably why those two guys stand apart from many on our list, for too long we've had too many players who happily get their 18 in the AFL and are happy to get their 18 in the VFL.

If you want to be an AFL mid or HBF, then 35 in the VFL must be about break even!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #19
It's also possible that Riewoldt & Montagna are pumping up the tyres of an old mate in Aaron Hamill (fellow player and assistant coach during their time) when they dwell on Carlton's defensive woes during last season.

Reply #20
It's also possible that Riewoldt & Montagna are pumping up the tyres of an old mate in Aaron Hamill (fellow player and assistant coach during their time) when they dwell on Carlton's defensive woes during last season.
Yes, quite possibly, I think the assertion they make harks back to the King analysis bagging some of Teague's tactics.

I think we've already shown that to be shizen because King contradicts his own earlier comments bagging the tactics that bring low AFL scores, then he basically bagged the absence of those same tactics in Teague's game plan, that I'm afraid is a weathervane type analysis! Nobody should be rewarded for chaotic flipping.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #21
Leigh Montagna & Nick Riewoldt have separately talked about what they see as the prime mission of Voss in the preseason: fixing the inability to defend. In the Season Preview on Fox Footy, Riewoldt summed it up by saying "Carlton is a team that refused to defend". He said the behind-the-goals vision was horrible (including from Cripps) and noted Teague repeatedly stated at every press conference that this wasn't the way they wanted to defend and yet the players refused to buy in. He argued that Aaron Hamill, who was in charge of team defence at St Kilda, has presumably brought that system across and Voss will be the driver of culture & standards. Accordingly, the extent to which the players buy in will determine Carlton's year rather than the talent which isn't the problem. Montagna on SEN reviewing the last practice match said he noted that the man-on-man defence has been replaced by a system which offers more protection.

Obviously, Riewoldt & Montagna are just 2 ex-players and they just have their own opinions. But if Voss did come in with a plan to impose a defensive system the players would accept, where would Dow fit into it? It wouldn't be surprising if he turns to guys like Hewitt, Cerra, Kennedy & Ed Curnow to build that sort of system, particularly when the most hard-working mid in Walsh is unavailable. Having a guy with pace like Dow is more like the cherry on top when that system is bedded down.

Dow also lacks a bit of confidence, so allowing him to find some form in the VFL isn't such a bad idea.     
They have been showing behind the goals footage every week on Fox during Teague's tenure. It has been abhorrent, week in week out as bad as I have seen from any Carlton side. If Vossy and co. can turn this around, it will go a long to improving our fortunes.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #22
They have been showing behind the goals footage every week on Fox during Teague's tenure. It has been abhorrent, week in week out as bad as I have seen from any Carlton side. If Vossy and co. can turn this around, it will go a long to improving our fortunes.
It was no win for Teague, the media types and many fans spent a decade complaining about Carlton's low scoring "bad to watch", "boring to commentate" football, they wanted us kicked off Friday nights, then any nights, then off the box altogether, while they praised the Dogs.

Teague was basically given a mandate courtesy of his 1/2-season success to try and fix it, so he needed to teach a team that couldn't kick a 100 pts in decade how to actually score, so when he started that they(King, et. al..) hung him out to dry almost instantly for not having a defensive mindset. Fans seem to have ignored the previous decade of media complaints and jumped straight into the new suit of clothes.

Nobody including Teague said it was forever tactic, but impatience kills. He basically copied the Dogs game style, but Teague didn't have the squad that had the mentality to deal with turnovers, they couldn't hit a barn with a blunderbuss, and when they missed the barn they wouldn't chase, finally it seems some took offense at being asked to do so. So what happened, they did it for a 1/4 here or a 1/2 there, and got flogged when they couldn't get their hands on the pill.

If you listen to those media types too much you'll go berserk and do your head in, because they flip like frogs on a hotplate and are dead set flogs. They'll tell you black is sh1te today, and if you turn white they tell you white is a turd tomorrow!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #23

Then you'd know that one of the biggest issues from that is always Cripps. He is unable or unwilling to chase his opponent (or any opponent) into D50.

I copped a lot of flack for suggesting shipping him off could solve a lot of our problems, but one that was very much glossed over by his defenders was the strain it puts on our defenders. Sure, he is not alone, but he is very much a recidivist.

I'd be most interesting in how he can get our captain to defend.....or cover for his inability to defend.

Reply #24

Carlton buying in anywhere has been an issue for a long time. The novelty of a new coach has seen the side do pretty well in their first year then it was all backwards from there. Teague was unlucky his first season was just half a season with a 6-5 record. Might have nailed a first year final, or got close if he got the 22 games. Like the other coaches it went backwards after that as player work rate dropped off.

Reply #25

I know that he tries to do so but I don't think that Dow offers much in the 'outside-run' department; he is caught with the ball or forced to dispose of it under pressure far too often.  He lacks the real speed and acceleration that others have.

Reply #26
I know that he tries to do so but I don't think that Dow offers much in the 'outside-run' department; he is caught with the ball or forced to dispose of it under pressure far too often.  He lacks the real speed and acceleration that others have.

In addition, when we drafted him it was made known that his disposal at best was average.  In his time with us he has struggled to reach that low bar.

Unless someone is "in the know" that his kicking has improved dramatically over the break, we are in for more of the same - just not good enough for a team that wants to make the four.

Reply #27

Unless someone is "in the know" that his kicking has improved dramatically over the break, we are in for more of the same - just not good enough for a team that wants to make the four.

Is that your pass mark for this year…?
🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #28
Can't afford to make mistakes against this mob, Gov. Hope he learns from it.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #29
Plenty to like 👍🏼
Let’s go BIG !