Skip to main content
Topic: AAMI Community Match vs Melbourne (Read 5338 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AAMI Community Match vs Melbourne

Reply #31
Plenty to like 👍🏼

It's only a practice match but, yes, we're playing with a lot more intensity than we have for a while.  The new blokes have made a difference and McGovern may have found his niche.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #32
It's only a practice match but, yes, we're playing with a lot more intensity than we have for a while.  The new blokes have made a difference and McGovern may have found his niche.

The commentators said he was building confidence, he’d need to after that early kick in ! 🤣
Martin’s been quiet, O’Briens been patchy, Saad looks proppy but everyone has been cracking in.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #33
In a game where the umps are red hot on chat and abuse, we have been exceptionally disciplined. A very good sign.

Reply #34
Given that we're going with Parks and Williamson as our key forwards, I reckon we had the best of the third quarter ... and it's our defensive efforts and good ball use (both quick and measured) that's making the difference.

And then there's one Patrick Cripps revelling in having some serious midfield depth around him.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #35
Not a bad result, particularly in the way that we fought it out.

I think that it's worth acknowledging Lochie O'Brien's performance.  He wasn't our best player but I don't think he made one mistake on the night.

Reply #36
Hewett will be the steal of the year.. ..

Reply #37
Liked what I saw:
- definite increase hardness and contested footy.
- George and Cezz are great additions.
- Good to see a coaching group with half a clue.
- All without Weiters, Walshy, Prince Charles Doc, H and SOS for a half. Happy with that v the reigning Premiers.
- Skipper back to his best, to be expected without a broken back!
- Bam Bam to never go out of that side again.
- LOB showed a heap also.
- Durds is a beauty
- TDK will either take Mark of the Year or snap in half trying.
On the right track, Keep up the good work fellas.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #38
I thought O’Brien contributed a fair bit, good and bad, but he kept cracking in.
So at 1/2 time we switched out Durdin, Harry, Gov, SOS, Ed (?).
A forward line with Williamson, Parkes and Plowman was a bit different.
They fought it out for a win, well done.
Pass me the cool aide…
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #39
Durdin was taken out of the game after a possible calf injury. Maybe it was just precautionary given it was just a praccie. If not, he'll be cursing his luck as it looked like he was making a move on senior selection.

TDK's leap is to die for. He doesn't seem to need a big run up to launch and that'll make him difficult to defend. 

Reply #41
Durdin was taken out of the game after a possible calf injury. Maybe it was just precautionary given it was just a praccie. If not, he'll be cursing his luck as it looked like he was making a move on senior selection.

TDK's leap is to die for. He doesn't seem to need a big run up to launch and that'll make him difficult to defend. 
The other one with an excellent vertical leap is Young. Seems to be able get very high up from a standing leap. Did ok.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #42
McGovern reminded me of his brother. Can you imagine if he can play to that level came the real thing.
Mid recruits looked good and amazing what having support does to blokes like Cripps and Kennedy.
On the negative side Setterfield and Williamson seems to have the same flaws under Voss.
Setters refuses to attack any contest and uselessly guards space when a ball in dispute or just won by the opposition. Just don’t see enough from him not even in spurts to think this guy will make it. Be very surprised if he is still on the list come end of year.
Willo is a dear in the headlights and way too many ahead of him. Will only get a look in if we are savaged by injuries.

Reply #43
McGovern reminded me of his brother. Can you imagine if he can play to that level came the real thing.
Mid recruits looked good and amazing what having support does to blokes like Cripps and Kennedy.
On the negative side Setterfield and Williamson seems to have the same flaws under Voss.
Setters refuses to attack any contest and uselessly guards space when a ball in dispute or just won by the opposition. Just don’t see enough from him not even in spurts to think this guy will make it. Be very surprised if he is still on the list come end of year.
Willo is a dear in the headlights and way too many ahead of him. Will only get a look in if we are savaged by injuries.

Willo played the second half as a key forward.  I think that you would have to excuse any errors on his part because of his unfamiliarity with the role.  Of course, he was involved in several chains of possessions that resulted in scores.  He's a lock for Round 1 - unless Doc takes his spot!

Setters was good tonight and played his role very well.  His decision-making in attacking the pill or rolling back into our team defence was very good.  Setter's size and his ability to win marking contests was another positive.  He's another lock for Round 1.

Reply #44

Definitely a make or break year - his consistent reluctance to aggressively close down his opponents was all the more obvious when the vast majority of his teammates were doing so, which was a most pleasant surprise.