Skip to main content
Topic: What are you positive about? (Read 6476 times) previous topic - next topic

What are you positive about?

I know it's difficult after some heartbreaking close losses recently, but what are your positives? Here's mine:

-The players are currently giving a real effort; I can not fault it. Our tackles are sticking more and our intent at applying pressure on the opposition is far better than earlier in the season.

-The game plan looks far better. Early season: Bomb it long, play down the boundary and don't take risks through the corridor vs now: Move it through the corridor when a good option presents itself, don't just bomb it long, look for good options.  Having said this, last night we did appear to kick it many times to contest where we were clearly outnumbered.

-A no mongrel, no games philosophy. 'Soft' players with little intensity aren't being played in the seniors: Warnock, Garlett, Watson and Lucas. It seems Malthouse made his mind up on these players. Unfortunately, some of them may get games due to our mounting injury list.

-Rowe's form has amazed me. He is the biggest improver on our list and looks like a bona fide key back. This is a Herculean effort by him, considering his health problems 2 years ago.

-Judd and Carrazzo's form is terrific. I actually thought Carrots was 'gone', but that was an awesome game by him last night on Selwood. It was reminiscent of his form a few years ago before he was driven into the turf by Lonergan. It's a big if, but can we get 2 more good years out of them, particularly if they smell some potential future success at the club?

-Gibbs is becoming the player I hoped for. Isn't it incredible that he's having his best season when played in the position he was drafted for  :o .

-I'm very happy with some of our young players. Menzel and Docherty look like they'll be 200+ game players for us, provided they don't get injured. The wraps on Cripps are big, although he hasn't played many games. All these players, play with intensity which is a big tick from me.

-Kreuzer will be back soon. Even if he isn't wining as many hitouts as other ruckmen, there are few that offer as much intensity as him. I can't wait until he's back in the senior team.

Re: What are you positive about?

Reply #1
You're right a lot of positives. The key is taking the momentum into next year. Everything now is about building.
Eat more chooks

Reply #2
Fair enough. There were plenty of positives and have been more coming each week recently. Here are a couple of mine:
[1] With our list restrictions and injuries we are running teams who have had the wood on us to a few points. This is going to give the guys some confidence for next time, especially those guys who have just come into the team. The only team that has got us was Sydney, and they managed it only for 1 quarter. (The fact that it was their best quarter for the year and our worst is another issue.)

[2] We have introduced a number of guys recently who look like they have futures. Sheehan had a decent night last night. With a bit of intelligent list management we can see more talent coming through next year.

[3] Our coach appears to be coaching quite well tactically and strategically. It was not easy early on, but there appears to be some method in the madness of late. He has won the tactical battles: now we need to turn it into scoreboard success.

[4] Some of our greatest weaknesses of the first half of the year are becoming strengths: our midfield structures, our defence, our tackling, etc. We even appear to have some pace again.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #3
I thought Menzel, until he got injured obviously, showed what a smart classy footballer he is going to be for us.... reads the play so well....a steal at pick 12, agree re - Rowe...at the start of the year I couldn't get my head around him playing back....now he looks like he's been doing it all his career...and I reckon will only get better next year ;)

Reply #4
I'm positive we're better when Brick doesn't play

Reply #5
So much to optimistic about;
  • Starts with Murphy and Gibbs. Their improved intensity and leadership this season has proved my thinking wrong, which I'm very happy about
  • Sam Rowe, a very good defender at AFL level. Will not only punch but will intercept mark as well. Seems to be faster than I thought too. Hopefully he can improve some more and between him and Jameson we can start building a settled backline.
  • Docherty, will finally get a pre season under his belt. You can see him tiring over the last couple of games and with more teams putting time into stopping Yarran he can get some free run.
  • Until proven otherwise, I'm hoping that Kruezer comes back as good as he was circa 2011. While he might be a touch short for a centre bounce ruckman, his 'round the ground rucking and general play ar top notch. Sure we have some who want to talk Kruezer down but he can be an asset.
  • Casboult. I think rucking has worn him down, blame Warnock who relied on Levi way too much, Wood is better but hopefully Kruezer will be able to ruck 85-90% of the game leaving Levi to be a stay at home full forward. Most of the top line defenders don't like being 20m from goal as they like to attack. Play Casboult at FF and Henderson at CHF and decide if you want your second best defender taking on a mountain of a man like Levi.
  • Youngsters, A successful pre season for Menzel, Buckley, Cripps, Holman, Giles, Docherty, Graham, Sheehan and Johnson will give the list greater depth and strength. Hopefully we will be able to get a couple more 20-21 year olds via trades and we have a wave of youngsters coming through and growing together.
  • The team has caught on to what MM wants and MM has caught on to what the team wants. The team is an attacking bunch with great offensive instincts. It seems that there is a happy medium found between attack and defense. It has been interesting tro watch David King and Micheal Voss explain how we got better and how we are covering exits. We shut down the best in business last night. No Geelong road and when a player did get free very rarely did he has a link player open.
  • An easier draw, if we do finish bottom 6 then our draw get a bit softer. Winning can build confidence that can help us when we get in these close games that this year we have been struggling in.

Reply #6
I'm positive we're better when Brick doesn't play

LOL.  This.  Brock is gone IMO.   Has not been offered a contract yet.   On thin  ice  

Reply #7
The big plus for me has been the resurgence of Gibbs in the midfield.   Has been awesome all year.   Think that we wasted him for 3 yrs playing him in defence.  

He now is well and tryuy an A grade footballer and that cannot be doubted.  

Reply #8
The big plus for me has been the resurgence of Gibbs in the midfield.   Has been awesome all year.   Think that we wasted him for 3 yrs playing him in defence.  

He now is well and tryuy an A grade footballer and that cannot be doubted.

Have to agree age, on the train after the game it was said that he is our only genuine A grader right this minute which I also tend to agree with.

If you insert Kreuzer, Walker and Henderson into that outfit we don't look half bad especially the way we are playing.

Need a couple more mids and a key forward still though to make any serious inroads next year.

Reply #9
I'm positive about us next year if we can play with this hunger every week with a fit and firing list....if Gibbs, Murphy and Yarran can lift to another level again, if Menzel can come on some more, if Levi can become a star of the comp, if Judd and Carrazzo can stay fit, there is no holding us back. Our list is not that bad, we are definitely finals worthy.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #10
I'm positive Dennis, ellard and brick should never, EVER play a single second in the navy blue again.
Watson, I like the kid but I've pretty much given up on him.
Warnock must be traded.
Excited about Buckley, graham, temey, cripps.

Reply #11
better intensity
better structure
better 4 quarter efforts
players standing up for each other more
young players and some older players coming on
Judd playing next season
Murph as a player and captain
Gibbs as a player
competitive against better teams
Mick generally getting match ups and match day tactics correct
probably a couple of others I can't think of right now

Reply #12
This draft and trade period is crucial if we are to move forward next year.   Stuff it up and we may be in tis exact same situation in 2 yrs time

Reply #13
There's a lot to be excited about;

A coach who I believe will take us forward and hopefully all the way to the top.

Juddy staying, but more than that it's because he likes and believes in where this team is going and what it can do.

We have seen more development in more players this year than I have in a Carlton side for a long time. Kudos to MM and his team for that !! Buckley, Rowe, Casboult, Sheehan are good examples.

Our young core are hitting their straps and starting to play good consistent footy. Probably Gibbs and Yarrans best years so far if taken as a whole. Kruezer back next year, Menzel will be in his 3rd year. There is a lot of class in there.

With a good draft/trade period this year and a good run with injuries next year we should be back playing finals and with any luck we could even push for a top 4 spot.

Plenty of change off field too with a new president and CEO, let's hope they are both motivated and driven to see Carlton rise to being the number 1 sporting club in Australia on and off the field !!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #14
Whatever changed Judd's mind to go around again.