Skip to main content
Topic: Northern Blues 2016 (Read 8211 times) previous topic - next topic

Northern Blues 2016

1st praccy match was today, went down to Box Hill  by 50 points.

Liam Jones kicked 3 goals, Jaksch and Forster both played a half up forward and in defense.
 Byrne ran from the back 50 to the fwd 50 to kick a goal.
 Tutt had 21 touches, DVR 18, Smith 16 and a goal, C Curnow 12 touches and a goal.

The NB's have very active facebook and twitter accounts, if you are interested in following them, this is where I get most of my info.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Re: Northern Blues 2016

Reply #2
What a goal  :o

I like the way Byrne goes about his footy  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #3
What a goal  :o

I like the way Byrne goes about his footy  :)

x 2...Byrne has the goods and should be  pushing for senior selection, his attacking style is ready made for modern footy and he is a very nice kick for an International recruit.

Liam Jones may have done enough with his 3 goals to get a rnd1 gig... the NB's only kicked 6 goals for the day so its going to be a struggle for both Blues teams to hit the scoreboard this season IMO....
Jaksch reckons he was sore after the game due to not playing for so long so i reckon you can count him out for rnd 1....he needs more games to get some fitness...

Reply #5
We have no option but to play Jones.

He's crap but he's unfortunately the best we have that didn't play yesterday and is going to be ready for round one.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #6
We really need to get games into Byrne and Charlie.

Not sure if we can just leave them in the team regardless of form but they both just need games.

Reply #7

He's crap but he's unfortunately the best we have that didn't play yesterday and is going to be ready for round one.

I don't agree. He'll play a full game and walk off with 2 possessions. What's the point. May as well give that spot to Charlie.

Reply #8

Agree......Foster has done nothing so far and like I said Jaksch needs more work and would only come in if we had mega injuries.

I reckon Jones will play CHF with Philips as the 2nd ruckman and Casboult at FF....Jones can maybe create some pressure by laying a few tackles
and blocking out for the likes of Walker and Everitt who will probably get a run forward.
From memory Jones has a decent record vs the Tigers and as you say I dont think we have any alternative....I'm not sure either if Bolton is that fussed
about winning at this stage and more about structure/discipline and working who can do what and who follows directions better..
Be great to beat the Tigers and I give us some chance as they are such a fickled team who can trouble the Hawks but also drop games vs weaker clubs.....maybe Jones can play the way Bolton wants and sacrifice for the team and let others do the scoring...

Reply #9
Byrne's' goal was simply outstanding.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #10
Liam Jones may have done enough with his 3 goals to get a rnd1 gig... the NB's only kicked 6 goals for the day so its going to be a struggle for both Blues teams to hit the scoreboard this season IMO...

Yeah tough call on Jones, but i think you'll find him in the R1 team. He's a step above the VFL...

....development league that is.

Reply #11
Yeah tough call on Jones, but i think you'll find him in the R1 team. He's a step above the VFL...

....development league that is.

Yes.  Seriously Curnow has to play before Jones.  As said above two touches from will be more valuable in the long term than Jones list clogging output.

Byrne will definitely get senior games this year if he remains injury free. 

Reply #12
x 2...Byrne has the goods and should be  pushing for senior selection, his attacking style is ready made for modern footy and he is a very nice kick for an International recruit.

Liam Jones may have done enough with his 3 goals to get a rnd1 gig... the NB's only kicked 6 goals for the day so its going to be a struggle for both Blues teams to hit the scoreboard this season IMO....
Jaksch reckons he was sore after the game due to not playing for so long so i reckon you can count him out for rnd 1....he needs more games to get some fitness...

Let's not get carried away EB  ;)

Next week's game against the Tigers may present another option - with a bit of luck  ::)

Jones does provide more physicality around the contest than Gorringe does and they're pretty much line ball in their other footy attributes.

I'd be inclined to go with Charlie Curnow; he can take a mark and Rance couldn't run off him.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #13
OK Jones kicked 3 goals in the VFL but is that enough to convince BB to bring him in for R1? I suspect not and I think he'll have to develop more consistency in the VFL before he gets considered for another go with the seniors. BB was talking in his post mtch about the need to develop alternative avenues to goal via mids and smaller forwards, plus the need to develop a pressure small forward. That may be the way we go in R1, rather than persisting with an option that has consistently failed at senior level?
Reality always wins in the end.