Skip to main content
Topic: Who do you expect to have a breakout season in 2014?  (Read 15809 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Who do you expect to have a breakout season in 2014?

Reply #30
At an AFL level, Menzel will make us ask Eddie who?
also Murphy to have a good rebound season, re-staking his claim as one of the best mids in the comp.

At a VFL level, Tom Temay will be banging down the door by the bye round
. Another pre-season should do the fella well.

Mate, have you ever seen Temay play? Put another way, have you ever seen Temay play a dominant game at VFL level? Hope I'm wrong but I reckon all doors around him are safe.

The only bloke in our VFL side, who was a regular, who looked like banging down a door for senior selection was Nick Graham, and maybe a fit ROK. But, gee, after those two all other regulars (on our list) were not looking too threatening... few Preston boys were well ahead of most of our senior listed blokes.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #31
Yarran, Watson and Touhy are all going to take it up a gear in 2014.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #32
I've said it the last two years and I'll give him one last go - Yarran
I'm expecting AA type year, significantly more midfield time, average 20+ possessions a game, becoming a top 30 player in the comp

He has the talent and just needs the desire and unwavering commitment.

We have a few players like that, if they all lift 5% then look out!

Reply #33
Sick of waiting for Yazz to click it up a gear. I've got him marked down as really kicking in hard at the age of 26 so there's a little way to go yet.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #34
If Yarran actually fires I'll treat it as a bonus - certainly not as an expectation, and I'm certainly not relying on it.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #35
Menzel. He had no preseason and hopefully will this year. Looks very classy and goes hard at the ball.

Tuohy and Graham will also have a great 2014 season.

Players from other clubs to have breakout seasons in 2014:

Bulldogs: Stringer, Dahlhaus and Roughead

Essenscum: Melksham

Port: Lobbe and Gray

Kangaroos: Cunnington & Ziebell

Collingwood: O'Keefe, J Thomas and Grundy

Richmond: Rance and Conca

Sydney: Luke Parker, Brandon Jack and Rohan

Hawthorn: Hill and McEvoy

GWS: Shiel

Gold Coast: Matera and Dixon

Saints: Armitage and Ross

Geelong: Horlin-Smith and Blicavs

Melbourne: Blease and Gawn

Freo: Clarke

Brisbane: Mayes and Leuenberger

Adelaide: Crouch, Johnston and Kerridge

Reply #36
Jeremy Laidler.

Reply #37
I'll add another one to the list of names. Robbie Warnock.

He won't have to worry about the Hampson experiment anymore, so will get a more consistent run at things.

Reply #38
Menzel. He had no preseason and hopefully will this year. Looks very classy and goes hard at the ball.

I pinched this idea from BF, where quite a few non Carlton people were nominating Menzel.
Here's hoping he lives up to expectations !!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #39
I reckon Menzel will be a 10-15 possession player for most of his career.

The difference being they will be mostly gold plated. Choosing the right options and making kicks and kicking goals that others can't.

A guy who can spot the right target (and hit him) in the congestion of todays forward lines will be a god send.

Don't ever see him in the midfield apart from the odd rotation when we are looking for something different..
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #40
I reckon Menzel will be a 10-15 possession player for most of his career.

The difference being they will be mostly gold plated. Choosing the right options and making kicks and kicking goals that others can't.

A guy who can spot the right target (and hit him) in the congestion of todays forward lines will be a god send.

Don't ever see him in the midfield apart from the odd rotation when we are looking for something different..

I see him being able to rotate from wing, HFF, to FP. I agree he won't ever likely be a really high possession player, but with good fitness I would expect him to be having 15-25 possession games.

Graham is the kind of player that could become a 30 possession per game kind of player, a real accumulator.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #41
I'll add another one to the list of names. Robbie Warnock.

He won't have to worry about the Hampson experiment anymore, so will get a more consistent run at things.

You make a good point there. Warnock won't need to worry about who is waiting in the back ground and concentrate on being number one ruck. Many good games of footy left in 206.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #42
If we go 180 degrees... just for the hell of it (very loosely fits the thread  ???), who do ya reckon might fade away (a la Laider 2013)?

Hate to say it but I am concerned for young McInnes.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #43
Simon White I fear might not come back after his horrific neck injury. The psychological hurdle of coming back from something like that is nearly as great as the physiological challenge.

Reply #44
If we go 180 degrees... just for the hell of it (very loosely fits the thread  ???), who do ya reckon might fade away (a la Laider 2013)?

Hate to say it but I am concerned for young McInnes.
best to do this in a new thread i reckon.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson