Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 3 2024 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs North Melbourne (Read 6219 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 3 2024 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs North Melbourne

Reply #45
Watched the North v Dockers game today. North were good early but you can see they're a relatively young side still. Turnovers and butchered the ball when they had Freo right under the pump early in the second quarter and then couldn't go on with it.

Apart from Larkey, they don't have any tall forwards and they don't really have any key defenders either. They've recruited a stack of talented midfielders over the last few seasons but no key position players that I can think of.

If we get plenty of the ball and use it well, Charlie and Harry should have a very Good Friday.

Fisher got plenty of the ball but doesn't kick it more than 30m and got caught on his wrong side plenty of times.

Reply #46
Watched the North v Dockers game today. North were good early but you can see they're a relatively young side still. Turnovers and butchered the ball when they had Freo right under the pump early in the second quarter and then couldn't go on with it.

Apart from Larkey, they don't have any tall forwards and they don't really have any key defenders either. They've recruited a stack of talented midfielders over the last few seasons but no key position players that I can think of.

If we get plenty of the ball and use it well, Charlie and Harry should have a very Good Friday.

Fisher got plenty of the ball but doesn't kick it more than 30m and got caught on his wrong side plenty of times.

North played Larkey and Coleman-Jones as key forwards and back up rucks, and Corr, Pink and K Dawson as key defenders.  None of them made much of an impression. 

Larkey and Coleman-Jones will trouble Kemp with their considerable size advantage, and Larkey's ability.  Freo went with two tall key defenders and we should do the same.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #47
North were good against an average team that was almost at full strength.

Reply #48

Still fails to chase back with anything like the acceleration he uses when he has the ball - won't be missed by me.

Reply #49
Fish sorted out his disposal issues this week … or Freo didn’t force him onto his weak side.

It will be interesting to see how he goes against us.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #50
I have the feeling that this is a danger game this week but I am not sure exactly why.  Maybe one reason is that North were 4-5 goals up against Freo in the 2nd quarter then missed 3 easy shots at goal that could have given them a bigger lead but they missed them all.
They played well in the first half.  But we are better than Freo?  Still, we need to start well coming off the bye worries me. 
Maybe it's the Clarkson factor that still haunts me?   Anyway, if we aspire to be a top four team, we need to put young developing teams like Norf to the sword and win and win well.

Reply #51
I have the feeling that this is a danger game this week but I am not sure exactly why.  Maybe one reason is that North were 4-5 goals up against Freo in the 2nd quarter then missed 3 easy shots at goal that could have given them a bigger lead but they missed them all.
They played well in the first half.  But we are better than Freo?  Still, we need to start well coming off the bye worries me. 
Maybe it's the Clarkson factor that still haunts me?   Anyway, if we aspire to be a top four team, we need to put young developing teams like Norf to the sword and win and win well.

It's too many false dawns.  Gritty teams would turn up and we'd struggle.

It's not really a cripps trait.  North have been a bogey side for us, but their lack of key backs should see us win easily enough.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #52
Agreed Thry.....if we're serious and on, we should win easily. We still need to learn how to really bury sides when we have the advantage and % could be critical come the pointy end of the season.

Reply #53
Agreed Thry.....if we're serious and on, we should win easily. We still need to learn how to really bury sides when we have the advantage and % could be critical come the pointy end of the season.
Agree on the percentage. For too many years we have been just hoping for a win, now we need a win + the percentage that goes when good sides have good wins.

Reply #54

I'm not sure whether we've learned to keep the foot on the throat of average opposition, with a couple of notable exceptions last season.

No AFL teams are easybeats, and North has some talent, but you'd have to be expecting at least a five goal margin.

Reply #55
Instagram post this morning suggesting Weitering is "locked in for a return for Carlton on Good Friday against North Melbourne".

Not confirmed yet but that'll be a huge boost.

Maybe Weitering/Martin in for Young/Fantasia?

Reply #56
Instagram post this morning suggesting Weitering is "locked in for a return for Carlton on Good Friday against North Melbourne".

Not confirmed yet but that'll be a huge boost.

Maybe Weitering/Martin in for Young/Fantasia?

Why would Young be dropped? 

North have Larkey (198cm) and Coleman-Jones (200cm) as key forwards.  If Weitering is back, he would have to take Larkey.  As good as Kemp was against Richmond, he will struggle against Coleman-Jones.  Young has been good in both games and would be the perfect match up for Coleman-Jones.

Reply #57
I guess it'll be one of those.....Young or Kemp. Kemp wouldn't be a bad option against Zurhaar when he's forward.

Reply #58
Dropping Kemp was a mistake last September, I don't think we should make that same mistake again.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #59
Guv may have given a little too much away:

“There’s potential for [Weitering, Marchbank and Martin to return].

The boys have been having a really good training block, I’m really uncertain with what it is, it’s up to the coaching staff with how they get through this week.

Fingers crossed … either way, we’ve got the ‘next man up’ mindset, so we’ll see how we go.”